We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Not everyone puts a lot of thought into their choice of pillow.
Many folks haven’t swapped pillows for years. But in reality, you should be changing your pillow a lot more frequently.
Once it starts to lose its oomph, it’s time to replace it. The Better Sleep Council suggests getting a new one every 3 years or so.
But choosing a pillow is a lot like picking a mattress: No two people have the exact same preferences. It’s also tough to pick one without trying it in person.
On top of that, there are lots of brands to choose from, and many claim to have the most comfortable option.
Both Casper and MyPillow market their pillows as superior, but which one wins out in this fluffy battle? Below, we take a closer look at each brand and dive into our own pillow testing experience.
Casper pillow pros
- supportive feel
- available in standard and king sizes
- breathable cotton cover
- machine washable
- 30-day trial period
Casper pillow cons
- only one firmness option
- down alternative fill might feel too fluffy for some
- breathable cotton cover
- machine washable, dryer-friendly
- various firmness options to choose from
- 10-year warranty, 60-day guarantee
- filling has a lumpy feel and tends to clump
- may be too soft for some
Before we jump into the details, here’s a quick overview of each brand.
|affordable bed-in-a-box mattresses
|infomercial presence and controversial CEO
|foam, down alternative, down
|none (but mattress foams are CertiPUR-US certified)
|30-night trial period
|60-day, money-back guarantee
A note on editorial testing
Sifting through product descriptions and customer reviews can be overwhelming. We’re here to make researching products easier.
In some cases, that means testing products ourselves to see how products perform in real life. For this review, our writer received products directly from each company and slept on each pillow for at least one night.
Keep in mind that comfort is subjective — not every person will feel the same way about every pillow. We did our best to focus on more objective measures of pillow performance like quality, support, and firmness.
If we thought there was a possibility you could feel differently about a product than we did, we made sure to call that out.
Watch our video review of the Casper Original Pillow
- Materials: down alternative, polyester microfiber fill
- Firmness level: medium firm
- Good for: combo sleepers, side sleepers
- Not good for: people who dislike a fluffy feel
The Casper Original Pillow has a unique “pillow within a pillow” design. The interior pillow is slightly firmer and provides all the support, while the outer pillow is soft and fluffy.
In testing, we found that the Casper pillow provided just the right balance of comfort and support. It feels like a marshmallow with a firm center meant to cradle your head and neck.
Reviewers seem to agree, calling the pillow “cloud-like” and “simply the best.”
Compared with the MyPillow, the Casper Original is the one we’d choose to sleep on night after night.
Other Casper pillows
If the Casper Original Pillow isn’t quite what you’re looking for, there are other options from Casper that may be more your style:
- Foam Pillow: Firmer than the Casper Original, this foam-filled pillow is available in two loft levels and is great for people who need a little extra neck support. Shop now.
- Down Pillow: If you prefer the feel of real down, this down-filled pillow is a solid pick. The extra-fluffy pillow is made from ethically sourced down and comes in a mid loft or low loft option. Shop now.
- Hybrid Pillow: By combining foam and fiber fill, this pillow provides a soft yet supportive surface. Bonus: Foam means it’s not going to lose its shape anytime soon. Shop now.
- Backrest Pillow: Improve your posture and comfort while seated with this comfy backrest pillow. It’s made of foam and fiber fill, and it has a unique teardrop shape. Shop now.
- Hug Body Pillow: This ergonomic body pillow is designed specifically with side sleepers in mind. Shop now.
- Materials: shredded foam
- Firmness level: available in medium or firm options
- Good for: stomach sleepers, people looking for a softer pillow
- Not good for: people who want a firmer feel
MyPillow guarantees that its classic pillow will be “the most comfortable pillow you’ll ever own!”
The company is so adamant about this that it offers a lengthy 10-year warranty and 60-day, money-back guarantee for its U.S.-made pillow (though it’s not clear if that 60-day guarantee applies to products purchased on Amazon).
Out of the packaging, the pillow seems fluffy enough. It takes some time to decompress and requires a fluff session in the dryer before use. Once it was fully expanded, we had high hopes for its performance.
At first, the shredded foam feels responsive. It seems great for people who like a softer, fluffy pillow. There’s also some noticeable off-gassing (new pillow smell) at first, which fades after a few days.
Sleeping on it is another story. The shredded memory foam ended up feeling noticeably lumpy — like shredded cotton balls — rather than soft and responsive.
We actually ended up finding it so uncomfortable that we had to swap pillows halfway through the night.
Reviews on the MyPillow website are generally positive. On third-party review sites, like Trustpilot, reviews are more mixed, with people complaining about pillow quality and customer service issues.
Everyone is different, so you may find the MyPillow ultra-comfortable. But we think it’s possible to find a similar quality pillow at a lower price point.
Other MyPillow pillows
In addition to its classic offering, MyPillow also sells a couple other pillows:
- MyPillow Premium: This pillow is virtually the same as the Classic MyPillow, but it comes in four firmness levels.
- Giza Elegance MyPillow: This pillow features a Giza cotton cover and comes in multiple firmness options.
Here’s what to consider when choosing between the Casper Original Pillow and the Classic MyPillow.
Both pillows fall within the same general price range. MyPillow is slightly pricier, but — if you’ve narrowed down your pillow search to these two options — we think Casper offers better value for your dollar.
The Casper Original Pillow contains down alternative made with a polyester microfiber fill. It’s meant to mimic the feeling of down and does so really effectively. The firm inner pillow also gives it better support than a traditional down pillow.
MyPillow says its Classic MyPillow contains a patented, adjustable, interlocking fill. Though the company doesn’t say it in the product’s description, the fill is made of foam. In testing, we didn’t think the filling felt cohesive or adjustable.
Research from 2011 found that people who use polyester and latex pillows generally wake up with less neck pain and sleep better in general. But a
Just keep in mind that pillow comfort is
Compared with firmer, solid foams, both pillows contain soft fill materials.
Still, the Casper inner pillow is firm and offers more support than the typical soft pillow, giving it an overall medium-firm feel.
MyPillow may be best suited for sleepers who prefer a soft pillow.
Loft (or pillow height)
But remember that pillow comfort is super subjective. It’s possible that you sleep best with a pillow that’s shorter or taller than that.
Neither Casper nor MyPillow specify the loft of their pillows on their websites, but in our own testing we found that Casper was 8 in. (5 in. while lying on it) and MyPillow was 9 in. (3 in. while lying on it).
Both pillows are machine washable and safe to toss in the dryer. Be sure to read specific care instructions before attempting to wash your pillow.
Casper offers a 30-night risk-free trial for its Original Pillow. Returns are free and easy to initiate via the Return Center page.
MyPillow offers a 60-day, money-back guarantee. The company says that if you don’t find the pillow comfortable, you can ship it back within 60 days of purchase and get your money back.
Shipping fees are nonrefundable. There’s no exchange policy outlined on the website.
Keep in mind that any promotions offered on the MyPillow website don’t apply to Amazon purchases, though prices on Amazon seem to be discounted compared with what’s available on the MyPillow site.
It’s not clear whether the 60-day, money-back guarantee applies to products bought on Amazon. Plan on following Amazon’s typical return protocol (usually 30 days) if you want to test it out.
Casper has a solid reputation based on the following criteria:
- The company has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A+. There are a few complaints regarding quality issues, but Casper has responded to the majority of them.
- Casper is involved in one pending lawsuit. The company is accused of allegedly hiding a dip in profits from investors. Another case — dismissed in 2018 — alleged that Casper anonymously tracked website visitors to get a hold of their personal information, including addresses.
- There are no recent recalls of Casper products.
In terms of transparency, the company says its products are designed in the United States and assembled in China with materials imported from South Korea.
Casper also provides general information about the materials used in its pillows, like polyester microfiber fill and a cotton cover.
MyPillow doesn’t have a great company reputation, based on the following criteria:
- The company has a BBB rating of F. In 2017, the BBB revoked MyPillow’s accreditation based on a pattern of complaints from customers. In June 2019, MyPillow informed the BBB that it would no longer be responding to complaints on the platform. Complaints are still forwarded to MyPillow, regardless.
- In October 2019, MyPillow was ordered to stop making health claims about its products, referencing a specific 2018 study. The company was also ordered to pay a $100,000 fine.
- MyPillow hasn’t had any major recalls of its products in recent years.
Like Casper, MyPillow says its pillows are made in the United States, but we couldn’t find more details on the website.
MyPillow’s Amazon listing says the pillows are made in Minnesota, though. It’s also really tough to find any information about the materials used in the fill and cover.
Here’s what customers have to say about Casper and MyPillow.
Reviews for the Casper Original Pillow are overwhelmingly positive, though some reviewers find the pillow unsupportive and overpriced.
Some people also complain that the pillow loses its fluffy qualities after about 1 year, so durability is a concern.
There are a few customer service complaints on the BBB website. There are only two that have to do with pillow-related purchases. Most of the complaints have been resolved.
Customers have mixed reviews of the Classic MyPillow. Some people love the pillow and rave about how comfortable it is, adding that it seems like a high quality product.
Other customers leave reviews complaining about the low quality pillows and lack of customer service when requesting a return.
Recent complaints on the BBB website have to do with customer service issues. Some people complain about never receiving refunds. Others say trying to get a refund is near impossible.
Each complaint is met with a standardized response from MyPillow: “We do not recognize the Better Business Bureau as a legitimate company. Therefore, we will not be responding to any further communications.”
|foam, down alternative, down
|down alternative, GelFlexGrid
How do you wash and care for Casper pillows?
It depends on the pillow.
If you have the Casper Original Pillow, you’ll unzip the cover and take out the inner pillow. Zip up the outer pillow, and put both in the washing machine. Use the cold water setting and, if your machine has it, select the extra rinse setting. In the dryer, use the tumble dry setting, and toss in a few dryer balls.
Other pillow models may have different instructions. Read the tag before putting anything in the washing machine or dryer.
Are Casper pillows any good?
Reviews for Casper pillows are mostly positive. But keep in mind that pillow preference is highly subjective.
What is MyPillow?
MyPillow is a pillow manufacturing company that sells the patented MyPillow.
Is MyPillow worth buying?
The truth is, the right pillow differs for everyone. That means any pillow you buy could be your next favorite or a disaster. MyPillow may be worth buying if you prefer a soft feel and like to sleep on your stomach.
What’s the difference between MyPillow Classic and Premium?
The premium pillow comes in more firmness options than the classic.
Casper wins points for reputation and transparency, two areas where MyPillow fails.
If we were rating the pillows purely in terms of comfort, the Casper Original Pillow would still win out over the MyPillow.
The Casper Original is comfortable and feels like it’s made with high quality materials. In contrast, the MyPillow doesn’t live up to expectations — especially considering its price point. The complaints about MyPillow’s poor customer service also concern us.
That said, your favorite pillow might be wildly different from someone else’s go-to.
A bit of pillow experimentation might be necessary, but make sure you go with a company that offers a solid trial period and has a reputation for providing no-hassle returns.
Steph Coelho is a freelance writer with chronic migraine who has a particular interest in health and wellness. When she’s not click-clacking away on her keyboard, she’s probably nose-deep in a good book.