We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best memory foam twin mattress: Tuft & Needle Original Mattress
- Best innerspring twin mattress: Saatva Youth Mattress
- Best organic twin mattress: Naturepedic Verse Organic Mattress and Avocado Green Mattress
- Best lightweight twin mattress: Linenspa 6-Inch Spring Mattress
- Best twin mattress for the floor: Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri Folding Mattress with Cover
- Best twin mattress in a box: Nectar Memory Foam Mattress and Nest Bedding My BKB – Big Kids Bed
If your little one is not so little anymore, it might be time to go shopping for a twin mattress. But with so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to know where to start.
The good news is we’ve done the research for you. Here is some general information to consider when shopping for a twin mattress, as well as our top eight picks for the best twin mattresses for toddlers and young kids.
Now that the crib is packed away, it’s time to get your toddler sleeping in a bigger bed. Depending on their age and size, you have a couple of choices.
In terms of furniture sizes, there are toddler beds. The mattresses measure 28 inches by 52 inches, which is the same size as a crib mattress.
Unless you have a crib and toddler bed combo, you may end up buying a toddler bed and then a twin bed as your child grows. That’s why some parents skip the toddler bed and move directly from a crib to a twin mattress.
In general, a twin mattress measures 38 inches by 75 inches and a twin XL mattress measures 38 inches by 80 inches. A twin XL provides extra length, which comes in handy if you’re trying to make a bed last for many years.
We considered many criteria when selecting the best twin mattresses for toddlers, including:
- Flammability requirements. All twin mattresses included in this list meet standard flammability requirements.
- Free of recalls and pending lawsuits. At this time, there are no recalls, pending lawsuits against the company, or warnings specific to the safety of twin mattresses included in this list.
- Verified through certifications. All the twin mattresses we picked are certified by one or more of the following:
- Solid customer reviews. We looked at customer reviews from a variety of retailers, such as Amazon, Target, Walmart, and company websites.
- $ = under $200
- $$ = $200–$400
- $$$ = over $400
Best memory foam twin mattress
Tuft & Needle Original Mattress
This Tuft & Needle mattress is our top pick for the best memory foam twin mattress. With a flexible sleep surface that adjusts as your little one moves, this medium-firm memory foam mattress is designed to be cooling and free of harmful chemicals. They call it their perfect blend of firm and plush.
Since it comes with a 100-night trial period, your child has plenty of time to decide if this is the right place for them to rest their head.
Available in both twin and twin XL, this mattress is also Greenguard Gold and CertiPUR-US certified, and it comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
Best innerspring twin mattress
Saatva Youth Mattress
Families looking for an innerspring twin mattress for a toddler should check out the Saatva Youth Mattress.
A key feature of this organic, hypoallergenic, and antimicrobial mattress is that it adapts as your child grows. One side is designed for ages 3 to 8 while the other is for ages 8 and up. In other words, the dual-sided design is made to give optimal support based on their age. All you need to do is flip the mattress when they are ready.
The Saatva Youth also comes with CertiPUR-US certification, a generous 180-night home trial, and a 12-year warranty. Plus, it’s made in the United States.
Best organic twin mattresses for toddlers
Naturepedic Verse Organic Mattress
When it comes to organic twin mattresses, the Verse from Naturepedic is one of the best you can buy. Made from U.S. grown and certified organic cotton, organic wool batting, and a plant-based comfort layer, this bed is designed for the well-being of your child. The Verse is also certified by Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), Made Safe, and Greenguard.
Available in twin and twin XL, the Verse comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and a 10-year limited warranty. As well, Naturepedic products are made in the United States.
Avocado Green Mattress
If cost is not a deciding factor, our second pick for the best organic twin mattress might be your favored option.
The Avocado Green Mattress, is an ultra safe medium-firm mattress that packs a punch when it comes to certifications. It features Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certified latex, GOTS certified wool, and GOTS certified cotton. Plus, it’s certified by Greenguard Gold, Made Safe, and eco-INSTITUT.
Available in twin and twin XL, you can also add a pillow top (for a fee), which adds 2 inches of organic latex for extra relief. Plus, it comes with a 25-year limited warranty and a 1-year sleep trial, so you have nothing to lose.
Best lightweight twin mattress for toddlers
Linenspa 6-Inch Spring Mattress
Lightweight (only 24 pounds), affordable, and supportive, the Linenspa 6-inch spring mattress is one of Amazon’s top picks for twin mattresses.
Available in twin and twin XL, the Linenspa is a firm mattress made from heavy-gauge tempered steel coils and a foam layer designed for support and durability. This minimal mattress is an excellent choice for bunk beds, trundle beds, and day beds. It has a low profile, so it’s a great pick for smaller rooms.
All Linenspa foam mattresses are certified by CertiPUR-US. Plus, it comes with a 10-year limited warranty that covers defects in materials or workmanship.
Best twin mattress for toddlers to use directly on the floor
Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri Folding Mattress with Cover
No bed frame? No problem. The Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri Folding Mattress with Cover sits right on the floor, so you don’t need to worry about a box spring or frame.
Ideal for small spaces and temporary sleeping accommodations, the foldable bed also comes with a removable soft bamboo cover and an anti-slip bottom.
The convenience and portability of this mattress are great, but it’s the safe material used to make the memory foam that convinced some reviewers to buy this mattress. The Milliard comes with the CertiPUR-US certification and is free of PBDE flame retardants, lead, mercury, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and prohibited phthalates. It also has low volatile organic compound emissions.
This mattress comes in both twin and twin XL.
Best mattresses in a box for toddlers
Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
If you’re still trying to decide on a frame or base, check out the Nectar Memory Foam Mattress. This five-layer, medium-firm mattress is available in both twin and twin Xl, and it works on any bed frame, including a box spring, traditional frame, adjustable base, platform, and divan base.
If your child tends to sleep hot, the mattress features a quilted memory foam designed to be breathable. And, speaking of foam, Nectar’s memory foam meets the CertiPUR-US standards.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress ships in a box for easy handling and unloading. It also comes with a 365-night home trial and lifetime warranty.
Nest Bedding Big Kids Bed
The BKB by Nest Bedding was one of the first kid mattresses to hit the online bedding market. This bed in a box uses CertiPUR-US certified foam and contains no chemical fire barrier.
The BKB is considered a medium-firm mattress, but parents rave about the softness and comfort of the memory foam.
It comes with a 100-night guarantee and one of the best warranties available: lifetime. This eco-friendly, U.S.-made mattress is available in both twin and twin XL.
When shopping for a twin mattress for your toddler or a mattress of any size, you’ll want to consider safety, materials, price, return policy, warranty, and trial periods.
Since some companies have generous trial periods that allow you to test a mattress and return it for a full refund, it’s worth your time to research mattresses that come with a trial period.
It’s also common for mattresses to come with beds or bedroom sets, so it’s important to note that some mattresses are made for specific manufacturers and dealers. These mattresses have to meet the same federal requirements as ones sold directly to you.
When shopping for a mattress, the decision often comes down to comfort. That said, there are a few other things to consider.
What to look for in a mattress
- Return policies. Always ask about the store’s return policy and the fine print before purchasing. Some stores will not accept returns on pillows or mattresses.
- Quality. Affordable mattresses are a plus, but make sure you are not sacrificing quality for cost.
- Price. Twin mattresses range in price from $70 to over $1,000. Remember, more does not necessarily mean better. Test each bed out, read reviews, and check for warranties.
- Trial period. Some companies offer a trial period where you can sleep on the bed and return it for a full refund if you are not satisfied. These periods range from 10 to 365 days.
- Warranty. Ask about the length and type of warranty. Most mattresses come with a limited warranty, but some of the more expensive brands come with a generous warranty.
Once you find a mattress that works for your toddler, keeping it in tip-top shape can help you get years of use out of it and make the money you spend go even further.
Simple mattress care tips
- Place the mattress on a box spring or foundation.
- Cover it with a mattress protector.
- Add an extra layer with a waterproof pad or cover.
- Flip and rotate the mattress regularly.
- Soak up spills right away.
Deciding on the right twin mattress for your toddler may require a few trips to the store, but if you do the research ahead of time, the process can go a lot smoother.
When choosing a mattress, make sure to check for safety standards, quality certifications, trial periods, and warranties.