We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best hybrid mattress for adjustable beds: Saatva Classic Mattress
- Best latex mattress for adjustable beds: Saatva Zenhaven Mattress
- Best memory foam mattress for adjustable beds: Zoma Mattress
- Best pressure-relieving mattress for adjustable beds: The Purple Mattress
- Best organic mattress for adjustable beds: EcoCloud Hybrid by WinkBeds
- Best-rated mattress for adjustable beds: Avocado Green Mattress
Adjustable bed frames allow you to customize your sleeping position for a better, comfier rest. You can raise the head of the bed or lower the foot of the bed to alleviate pressure and pain in those regions based on your preference.
These beds are great for people with fibromyalgia or mobility issues, but they can also be an excellent option for those with sleep apnea or acid reflux.
While most mattresses on the market will work with your choice of adjustable bed frames, we’ve rounded up a list of the best mattresses to help you complete your set.
- increased comfort
- relief from aches and pains
- may help reduce snoring
- may secure better quality of sleep
- may help people who experience acid reflux to find relief
- greater independence for those with mobility issues
- can be costly
- loud when adjusting position
- may also be very heavy
- often difficult to clean
- Mattress construction and design. Whether you already have an adjustable base or you’re shopping for one, it’s important to find mattresses that are compatible with adjustable bases. We made sure to only include mattresses with that compatibility.
- Company reputation and transparency. We vet each brand we consider to check for a good reputation, high quality products, and transparent business practices.
- Company policies. Finding mattress companies that offer lengthy in-home trials and solid warranties is a must. These policies can help ensure you’re able to return your mattress or receive a replacement if something isn’t right.
- Customer reviews. We carefully consider customer reviews to make sure we’re only recommending mattresses that people love.
Mattress costs vary depending on size and brand, and most come in various sizes from twin to California king. Prices here are based on a standard queen-size mattress.
- $ = under $1,100
- $$ = $1,100–$1,500
- $$$ = over $1,500
Best hybrid mattress for adjustable beds
Saatva Classic Mattress
- Price: $$$
- Mattress type: hybrid
- Height: 11.5 inches
The Saatva Classic Mattress takes an updated approach to the traditional innerspring coil system with a hybrid model. It has two separate layers of coils to provide maximum support and durability.
Its top layer is a Euro pillow top that provides extra cushioning for a luxurious, cloud-like feel that’s still supportive.
Saatva redesigned this mattress in March 2017 to pair with an adjustable bed frame that features a massage system (yes, please!). Keep in mind that their 14.5-inch mattress thickness isn’t compatible with the adjustable base, so you’ll have to opt for the slimmer model that’s 11.5 inches.
Buy the Saatva Classic mattress online.
Best latex mattress for adjustable beds
Saatva Zenhaven Mattress
- Price: $$$
- Mattress type: latex foam
- Height: 10 inches
The Saatva Zenhaven Mattress is made up of two layers of latex, with an organic wool layer and cotton cover on top. Its comfort layer is created with five zones that vary in density to keep the upper back and lumbar regions aligned with the spine, while its support layer gives a firmer foundation.
As a bonus, you get two firmness options for the price of one. If you prefer a softer or firmer sleeping experience, all you have to do is flip the mattress over.
On a firmness scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the firmest, the mattress ranges between a 5 and a 7 with the comfort layer on top. If you decide you need a little more support, the other side of the mattress falls at an 8 with the support layer on top for a firm, yet gentle, feel.
This mattress is also compatible with the Saatva adjustable base with massaging features. Reviewers say it’s worth the extra splurge.
Buy the Saatva Zenhaven mattress online.
Best memory foam mattress for adjustable beds
- Price: $
- Mattress type: foam
- Height: 11 inches
The Zoma Mattress is constructed using three layers of gel memory foam and breathable fabric to pull heat away from the body and prevent overheating during the night.
Its top layer is designed with three different support zones. They’re strategically placed to help relieve pain around the head and shoulders, hips and lower back, and upper and lower legs.
While some memory foam mattresses can make sleepers feel trapped in bed, the Zoma Mattress includes a responsive layer that contours the body without the restrictive feeling.
The mattress was designed for those with an athletic lifestyle, and it’s backed by numerous major league athletes. They also have their own adjustable base that has a wireless remote.
Best pressure-relieving mattress for adjustable beds
The Purple Mattress
- Price: $$
- Type: foam
- Height: 9.25 inches
The Purple Mattress was specifically designed to reduce pressure points. Its Purple Grid was created to outperform memory foam by trapping less heat, lasting longer, and responding better to your movements while sleeping.
Reviewers say they’ve been able to find real back pain relief from this mattress. You can pair it with the Purple adjustable base, which has massaging features and under-bed lighting.
Reviewers say the combo of the Purple Mattress and the adjustable base is amazingly comfy — but some say to avoid the split king base, since syncing the two sides can be unreliable.
Buy the Purple Mattress online.
Best organic mattress for adjustable beds
EcoCloud Hybrid by WinkBeds
- Price: $$$
- Mattress type: hybrid
- Height: 12.5 inches
The EcoCloud Hybrid mattress is engineered to deliver comfort and support at every level. It has three different layers — an organic cotton and wool cover, a 4-inch Talalay latex comfort layer, and an innerspring support system — to ensure proper spinal alignment and relieve pressure.
Its innerspring system is designed with five zones of support to target areas that need it most, such as the hips and shoulders. It’s reinforced with firmer coils around the edges to prevent sagging.
In addition, it’s made of certified organic materials and recycled steel for an all-around eco-friendly, nontoxic mattress that doesn’t compromise on comfort and quality.
You can pair this mattress with the WinkBeds adjustable base, which comes with wireless remotes and is supposed to be super easy to set up.
Buy the EcoCloud Hybrid by WinkBeds mattress online.
Best-rated mattress for adjustable beds
Avocado Green Mattress
- Price: $$$
- Mattress type: hybrid
- Height: 11 to 13 inches
With more than 13,000 online reviews on its website, the Avocado Green Mattress is highly praised for its comfort and company’s customer service.
Its network of individually wrapped coils, latex rubber foam layers, and five distinctively arranged ergonomic zones provide cool comfort and extra support for the neck, back, and spine.
It delivers a luxury sleeping experience, while also giving customers the peace of mind knowing that it’s built to last using durable and certified organic materials.
Customers who prefer a softer feel can add a 2-inch latex pillow top for extra cushioning. You can pair either version of the mattress with the new Avocado adjustable base, which is also made from sustainable materials and has massaging features and wireless remotes.
Most adjustable beds are electric and can be adjusted for the upper or lower body with a remote.
An adjustable bed frame can work with a few different mattress options. Many online mattress retailers offer adjustable frames as an option.
If you are someone who finds lying on your back to be uncomfortable, you may be an excellent candidate for an adjustable bed. Adjustable beds are often expensive, so we recommend testing these mattresses out in person and doing your research. Depending on your needs, an adjustable mattress can cost anywhere from $1,100 to $3,000.
- Adjustable base. While it isn’t totally necessary to buy a mattress and adjustable base from the same company, some brands may offer deals if you bundle with a mattress. Keep in mind that most adjustable bases don’t have the same in-home trial and return policies that mattresses do. For this reason, make sure you’re purchasing one with all of the features you care about most — like massage, wireless remotes, or under-bed lighting.
- Mattress height. Most mattresses that are 14 inches tall or less will work with an adjustable base. Always check the mattress’s specifications to make sure its height is compatible with adjustable bases.
- Mattress type. Many people prefer to pair foam and latex mattresses with an adjustable base because those materials are more flexible and pliable compared to hybrid or innerspring mattresses. If you prefer a hybrid or innerspring mattress, make sure it’s made of high quality, durable materials to withstand the frequent movement of adjusting the elevation.
- In-home trial periods. Ultimately, always try before you buy. There are many mattress types and options to choose from. It’s important to identify your preferred level of firmness, temperature control, pressure relief, support, and other preferences before you make a purchase.
Before purchasing an adjustable mattress, you may want to consider:
- the quality of the materials used
- available sizes
- independent reviews
- the product warranty or in-home trial period
- the number of adjustable positions offered
- the delivery options
Memory foam mattresses conform to your body’s shape and relieve pressure to support you while you’re lounging or sleeping. Higher density foams are often the most comfortable — look for densities of 3.5 or higher when shopping.
Latex mattresses are often more durable and bouncier than foam mattresses. However, they often come at a higher price point. If you tend to sleep hot, you’ll probably prefer a latex mattress, as they are more cooling than memory foam. We recommend natural latex as it is longer lasting than synthetic latex and better for the environment.
Innerspring mattresses are made up of innerspring coils and a pillow top surface. These mattresses often create more pressure points and are usually too inflexible to work with an adjustable base. While they are cheaper, people report that these mattresses lose their comfort and support over time.
A hybrid is a blend of materials, which can be either latex, foam, or innerspring. These are great for people who want the comfort of memory foam or innerspring plus the durability of latex.
Minor modifications to the elevation of your sleep positions can have major health benefits. By raising the head and foot of the bed, you can customize the mattress to improve your health and quality of sleep.
According to a
In addition, sleeping with the head of your bed at a slight angle has been shown in a
Do adjustable beds damage mattresses?
As long as you’re purchasing mattresses that the company explicitly says can be paired with an adjustable base, you shouldn’t worry about your adjustable base damaging your mattress.
Always check the mattress’s warranty to make sure it covers any issues that could arise with the regular use of an adjustable base. It might make sense to purchase your mattress and base from the same company, so the adjustable base is up to standard and doesn’t void your warranty.
If you already have an adjustable base, you can also connect with the mattress company’s customer service representatives to make sure your base won’t cause any issues with your new mattress’s warranty.
Do adjustable beds require maintenance?
Because adjustable beds are made from motors, gears, and moving parts, you’ll likely have to repair or replace some parts every few years. We recommend purchasing a mattress that comes with a good warranty so that you don’t have to worry about the added costs.
Adjustable bed frames are great for people with pain, sleep apnea, and acid reflux. They’re also loaded with high-tech features, such as massagers, built-in USB ports, and under-bed lighting.
These bases can be expensive and cumbersome items, so you’ll want to combine yours with the best mattress that will give you the most return on your investment — in the form of a good night’s rest.
Shanley Chien Pierce is a Houston-based freelance journalist, who specializes in covering health, science, and medicine. She earned her master’s degree from Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism in 2015 and bachelor’s degree in English and media studies from UC Berkeley in 2011. Outside of writing, she loves exploring the vibrant restaurant scene in Houston, enjoying a glass of single malt scotch, hosting game nights with friends, working out, and practicing mixed martial arts.