- Best overall sex pillow: Liberator Ramp
- Best for G-spot access: Dame Pillo
- Best combo sex pillow: Liberator Ramp and Wedge Combo
- Best inflatable sex pillow: EMPHY Inflatable Magic Sex Pillow
- Best travel sex pillow: Evercharm Half Moon
- Best for solo play: Humphrey Pillow
- Best for bondage: Obeir Spanking Bench
- Best for leg support: Preiswerta Wedge Pillow
- Best for full body support: Contour BackMax Wedge Pillow
- Best for customizable positions: Fanwer Wedge Pillow
Have you ever found yourself looking to explore new sex positions but aren’t quite sure how to achieve them? Or maybe you really want to have longer, sustained sex, but can’t seem to get through it without back pain.
Whatever your reasoning, sex pillows are truly the unsung heroes of the sex toy world. For more than just deeper penetration — though we’ll definitely cover that later! — a sex pillow may be just the key to unlock a whole new world of pleasure.
There are plenty of sex pillows to choose from. To narrow down our list to the 10 best options, some of the main factors we considered are:
- Support: Since sex pillows are designed to provide support, this was a huge consideration. Each pillow on this list is firm enough to support different body weights and accommodate different heights in various positions.
- Price: Because everyone has different budgets, we included a wide range of price points from under $20 to close to $200.
- Customer reviews: Firsthand experience is important, so we took customer reviews into account and only chose highly rated options to include on our list.
- Material: When you’re in the heat of the moment, the last thing you want to worry about is scratchy fabric or ill-positioned zippers digging into your skin. When choosing the best sex pillows, we considered the comfort of the material and how easy it is to wash.
- $ = less than $50
- $$ = $50–$100
- $$$ = over $100
Best overall sex pillow
- Price: $$$
- What it’s best for: switching between multiple positions during sex
If deeper penetration is the name of your game, then you may want to check out the Ramp. Touted as the original sex ramp, this pillow almost looks like something from your middle school gym class, but is way more fun.
Bend your legs over the larger edge of the pillow and lie back so the middle of your back is situated on the skinner edge. This should allow for a new, deeper angle as well as more leverage for thrusting as your feet can remain on the bed or ground without exerting any additional energy.
- can be used for multiple positions
- anti-slip design
- available in more than one size option
- 10 to 14-inch rise may not work for everyone
Best for G-spot access
- Price: $$
- What it’s best for: bedroom activities and aftercare
One of the newest pillows on the market, Pillo, by Dame, is designed to be soft to the touch — but firm enough to provide good support.
This pillow may be particularly helpful for the reverse plow position. Have the penetrator (penis, dildo, or fingers) stand on the edge of the bed while the person being penetrated lies face up on the edge with the Pillo under their lower back. This should allow for solid back support, as well as provide easier access to the G-spot.
Play around with the placement of the pillow to find your ideal spot, both in terms of support and pleasure. The Pillo can also be used during sitting-up sex (either in Lotus position or on a chair) to further support the person on the bottom.
An extra perk of the Pillo is its removable and washable cover for an easy clean up, no matter how messy you get.
- soft, yet firm, filling
- blends in with other pillows
- can accommodate multiple positions
- can be uncomfortable in the missionary position
- on the narrow side
Best combo sex pillow
- Price: $$$
- What it’s best for: experimenting to find the perfect angle for you and your partner(s)
Can’t decide what kind of pillow fits your exact needs? Try the Liberator Ramp and Wedge Combo. Mix and match the two different-shaped pieces to find the angles that work for your body.
This one may be especially useful for the legs-on-shoulders position. Place the bigger part of the pillow under your shoulders and use the bottom wedge to help hold your legs up as you lay them over your partner’s shoulders. This should allow for new levels of pleasure while helping prevent back strain during sex.
- very versatile combo
- velvet covers minimize sliding
- cushion is designed to be firm enough for all positions
- on the larger side
- sections don’t attach
Best inflatable sex pillow
- Price: $
- What it’s best for: dipping your toe in the sex pillow world
Sometimes you want a nice luxurious sex pillow that fits beautifully on the bed and is a true investment piece. Other times you want something a bit more functional.
The EMPHY Inflatable Magic Sex Pillow is the latter. This small, convenient, and travel-friendly sex pillow is a collapsible wedge that can fit nicely in a travel bag. What’s more, it can double as extra back support, perfect for long-haul flights.
It’s also on the less expensive side of the spectrum, so it’s a great way to experiment with a sex pillow without breaking the bank.
- easy to deflate and store
- can inflate or deflate to your preferences
- some users report that it can leak air
- won’t likely stand up to heavy, long-term use
Best travel sex pillow
- Price: $
- What it’s best for: solo or partner play
Love doggy style, but don’t love holding yourself on all fours for extended periods of time? You’re in luck: The Evercharm Half Moon is literally made for penetrative sex from behind.
Lay the pillow on a flat surface and drape you or your partner’s body over it, giving you a potentially great angle for G-spot or prostate stimulation. If the angle isn’t quite right, you can also stick a normal pillow underneath the Half Moon for some extra leverage.
- comes with carrying case for easy storage/travel
- can be used for solo play as well
- on the smaller side
- materials are not the highest quality
Best for solo play
- Price: $$$
- What it’s best for: hard-to-hold solo play positions
Designed for solo play, the Humphrey Pillow is all about helping you sustain hard-to-hold positions for as long as possible. With a holder for your vibrator, dildo, or anal toy, the Humphrey secures your device in position while you move around it.
Better yet, this pillow is large enough to squeeze or hump for added sensation. The Humphrey can also be used to keep an anal vibrator in place during partnered sex for double penetration.
- inconspicuous design
- high quality materials
- works for solo or joint use
- some users report that it’s too low
Best for bondage
- Price: $$$
- What it’s best for: handcuff play
If you want to take your sex life to the next level, the Obeir Spanking Bench may be for you. A large pillow-ottoman hybrid, this spanking bench comes with built-in bondage tools. Cuff you or your partner’s hands, feet, or both while exploring all-new positions.
- can be used for various bondage endeavors
- has built-in ring attachments for restraints
- sturdy and well-built
- customers report it being a bit too big for people living in smaller bodies
- some users note the knee cushion isn’t long enough
Best for leg support
- Price: $
- What it’s best for: multiple positions
This wedge pillow isn’t made specifically for sex, but the firm cushion and machine-washable design make it a sensible option for the job. You can use it to support your body in multiple positions or for additional leg support.
When not in use, it blends right in as a leg elevation pillow, or you can deflate it and store it away completely out of sight.
- good for multiple positions
- easy to deflate and store
- made of PVC, which may not be as comfortable as others
- some users report it doesn’t hold air well
Best for full body support
- Price: $$$
- What it’s best for: supporting a zero gravity position
If you’re looking for all-over support, the Contour BackMax is designed to deliver. This full-body wedge pillow can put you in various positions that should work well for missionary and doggy style. You can also use it as one piece or detach the separate wedge pieces if you want to use them independently.
There’s even a micro-grip fabric on the underside that prevents it from moving around as you do.
- can be used as one piece or separate wedges
- has an anti-slip surface
- can be configured in nine different ways
- not all positions are suitable for sex
Best for customizable positions
- Price: $
- What it’s best for: easily customizable positions
If you’re looking for a sex pillow that gives you options, this 3-piece set from Fanwer just may fit the bill. There are various angles — 40, 50, 90, and 100 degrees — so you can find the one that works best for you. Use each pillow individually or combine them in different ways as you explore what feels good.
- comes in a 3-piece set
- should work for all heights
- can be used in multiple positions
- some users found that it was softer than expected, which may make it harder to hold positions
- material is a bit on the flimsy side
|Products||Price||Best position||How to clean||Customer rating|
|The Liberator Ramp||$$$||multiple||machine-washable cover||5 stars|
|Dame Pillo||$$||reverse plow||machine-washable||4.8 stars|
|Liberator Ramp and Wedge Combo||$$$||legs on shoulders||machine-washable cover||4.6 stars|
|EMPHY Inflatable Magic Sex Pillow||$||high hips||hand wash/wipe down||4.1 stars|
|Evercharm Half Moon||$||doggy style||hand wash/wipe down||3.9 stars|
|Humphrey Pillow||$$$||hard-to-hold solo-play positions||machine-washable cover||4.4 stars|
|Obeir Spanking Bench||$$$||multiple; spanking and BDSM||machine-washable cover||4.5 stars|
|Preiswerta Wedge Pillow||$||multiple||hand wash/wipe down||3.6 stars|
|Contour BackMax Wedge Pillow||$$$||missionary and doggy style||machine-washable cover||4.3 stars|
|Fanwer Wedge Pillow||$$||multiple||machine-washable||3.8 stars|
Choosing a sex pillow mainly comes down to how you want to use it. There are some that are good for one or two positions and others that can work with multiple. Some can be converted into various configurations, while others are pretty fixed how they are. You should first decide what kind of support you’re looking for and then narrow it down from there.
You’ll also want to consider storage. Are you planning to leave your pillow out or do you want to be able to store it away? Some are large and obvious, while others are more discreet (they look like regular wedge pillows) or can be deflated when not in use.
Price is another consideration, too. Prices run the gamut from under $20 to $200. The cheaper sex pillows may need replacing more often, but they’re a lower upfront commitment (a perk if you’re trying one for the first time).
Why should you use a pillow during sex?
Sex pillows serve double duty: They can help make you more comfortable during sex and prop your body into various angles and positions that can enhance pleasure.
If you have back problems or tend to get muscle fatigue during sex, sex pillows can also alleviate some of that pressure, making the overall experience more enjoyable for you.
How do I use a pillow during sex?
Using a sex pillow is simple. You simply slide it into the appropriate spot — many go under you or your partner’s hips or pelvis — and adjust your body until you’re in your desired position (and you feel comfortable). There are really no “rules” to using a sex pillow and it might take some experimenting to determine what feels good to you.
Can you use a regular pillow as a sex pillow?
A regular pillow can prop you up to some degree, but most are too soft to properly support your bodyweight and get you into the right position. If you want to use a regular pillow as a sex pillow, a firmer pillow is best.
Sex pillows are as diverse as sexual preferences. If you’re looking for a sex pillow that can handle multiple positions, consider the Liberator Ramp or the Liberator Ramp and Wedge Combo. If you want something that’s a little more discreet and easier to store, you may want to opt for something like the inflatable EMPHY Inflatable Magic Sex Pillow instead.
Hannah Rimm is a writer, photographer, and generally creative person in New York City. She writes primarily about mental and sexual health, and her writing and photography has appeared in Allure, HelloFlo, and Autostraddle. You can find her work at HannahRimm.com or follow her on Instagram.