We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
GlassesUSA is an online retailer for prescription eyewear. Their website has a wide range of eyeglasses and some contact lens options you can choose from.
The GlassesUSA shopping experience is meant to be convenient, eliminate the middleman, and reduce costs. It may be fun for some people to use but inconvenient for others. In this review, we’ll go over the pros and cons of GlassesUSA and the services they provide.
GlassesUSA is a viable alternative to getting eyeglasses at a brick-and-mortar retailer. However, this isn’t for everyone. Here’s a quick look into some pros and cons you may wish to consider before using GlassesUSA.
- You can use GlassesUSA.com from start to finish without ever having to leave your home.
- GlassesUSA has a very wide selection of frames to choose from, no matter your gender or age. There are fewer contact lens options to choose from, but most of the best-selling brands are there.
- Glasses and contact lenses purchased on the site come with a money-back guarantee, free shipping and returns, and a 365-day warranty.
- Based on your prescription, your glasses will most likely arrive at your door within 10 to 20 business days.
- Rush shipping of 3 to 5 business days is also available, within the contiguous United States.
- GlassesUSA offers many buy one, get one free options. There are also coupons readily available.
- Some reviews on social networking sites mention that GlassesUSA can be more expensive than anticipated, once a prescription is added to the price.
- The return period is only 14 days. Some online users have mentioned that they had trouble connecting with customer service in a timely manner, which affected their ability to return their frames on time.
- Since they don’t provide eye examinations, you may wind up using an out-of-date prescription that your eyes have outgrown without realizing it.
- If your current glasses don’t have their size indicated, you may not purchase correctly sized frames.
- If you don’t have a written prescription that includes your pupillary distance, or PD, you’ll have to measure that yourself. This may be challenging for some people to do.
- The virtual try-on feature can be fun to use, but it doesn’t take the place of trying on glasses in person.
GlassesUSA has a huge selection of eyeglass frames. Their frames are categorized by gender, designer, color, shape, and trend. There’s also a kid’s glasses section, as well as one for sunglasses and sports glasses.
GlassesUSA has budget-friendly options, as well as expensive frames. Some people have mentioned that their costs can go higher than expected, once a prescription has been added to the frame cost.
GlassesUSA offers multiple options for lenses, including coatings for ultraviolet and anti-glare light filtering, which may reduce eyestrain associated with digital device use.
Shipping costs are included. Rush shipping is also available for a small fee. This is great for people who need new glasses or contacts in a hurry.
Along with single and multifocal prescription eyewear, GlassesUSA also offers:
- blue light glasses
Does GlassesUSA take insurance?
GlassesUSA is an out-of-network provider on most vision insurance plans. This means you’ll have to pay for your glasses up front and fill out a claim form for reimbursement. Your reimbursement will be determined by your plan, not by GlassesUSA. GlassesUSA provides claim forms on its website for your use.
You need an existing vision prescription to order your glasses, or you can buy nonprescription glasses.
After you’ve chosen your frames and input your prescription, you can choose other lens options, including index, tints, and additional coatings.
Options for adding your prescription details
You can enter your prescription by filling out the form on their website, choosing to have them follow up with you and ask for it later, or by using their Prescription Scanner app on an existing pair of eyeglasses.
The app, however, isn’t always easy to use. You’ll need your phone, a computer with enabled functional cookies, your glasses, and a magnetic stripe card for sizing. There are a few points in this process where making an error can affect the accuracy of your prescription.
Limitations of the Prescription Scanner app
If your prescription is strong or complicated, you won’t be able to use the app. Multifocal lenses that contain more than one prescription, such as bifocals and progressives, can’t be read by the app. Neither can prism lenses that correct for diplopia (double vision), or strong prescriptions.
GlassesUSA does sell glasses with progressive or bifocal lenses, but you won’t be able to use the app if you need to determine your prescription details.
GlassesUSA can be fun to use. With the virtual try-on tool, you can see how you’ll look in many frames and can spend lots of time choosing between them.
This tool is great, but it’s limited. You can’t tell how the glasses will feel on your face or exactly how they’ll fit and feel on your nose or behind your ears.
If you’re comfortable using apps and a computer, plus have a steady hand for measuring PD, you’ll likely be comfortable using GlassesUSA.
Since they eliminate the need to go to an eyeglasses store, GlassesUSA can be convenient.
Just remember that using GlassesUSA to get your eyewear doesn’t eliminate the need to have your eyes checked annually. Prescriptions change every 1 to 3 years, and you may be using the wrong prescription for your eyes without realizing it.
Customer service gets mixed marks from users. Some reference a seamless experience, but others say that dealing with customer service is challenging. This sometimes comes up with returns. Returns must be done within a 14-day window, which may be tough for some customers to work within.
GlassesUSA doesn’t have a repair service. People who needed replacement screws for their glasses have mentioned on review sites that they had trouble getting them from the company.
Most customers give GlassesUSA favorable reviews. The complaints that have been logged tend to be about returns or exchanges for glasses that have the wrong prescriptions.
The processing time needed to make your glasses ranges from 3 to 6 business days. Regular prescriptions take less time than multifocal prescriptions do. Stronger prescriptions and sunglasses also require more time.
Once they’re ready to ship, you can expect to get your glasses within 7 to 10 days, if you live in the United States.
You can purchase expedited shipping, which gets your glasses to you within 3 to 5 days, for $12.
International shipping is available for around $25.
GlassesUSA is a well-established online retailer for eyeglasses and contact lenses, but there are others that you may also wish to consider. These include:
GlassesUSA is an online retailer for eyewear. They carry a very large selection of eyeglasses of all kinds, plus contact lenses, across multiple budgets.
Using an online retailer for eyeglasses, such as GlassesUSA, can be an effective way to get your prescriptions filled, but they shouldn’t take the place of seeing an eye doctor for annual checkups.