We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission or other tangible benefit. Optum Store, Optum Perks, and Healthline Media are owned by RVO Health. Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
A flexible spending account (FSA) is a popular healthcare savings option offered by some employers. These accounts are attached to health insurance plans and allow you to build funds you can use for medical and healthcare expenses.
The money in an FSA isn’t subject to income tax, and tax-free spending can save families significant money on healthcare costs. The downside? The money in an FSA doesn’t roll over from year to year like it does with a health savings account (HSA). So if you have an FSA, you may be looking for the best ways to spend your money before your plan year ends.
Fortunately, there are a wide variety of useful and well-rated FSA-eligible items to choose from.
Health savings accounts (HSAs) and FSAs are similar health savings options. You can use both account types to save tax-free money on the healthcare essentials you need.
However, there are some differences between the two account types. One of the biggest? Money in an HSA can build up over the years, but money in an FSA doesn’t carry over from year to year. This means you’ll need to spend your FSA money before your new plan year begins and the money is lost.
You can use the money in your FSA to purchase various everyday healthcare and medical items. This includes small drugstore purchases such as sunscreen and select skin care products, as well as larger devices like blood pressure machines or breast pumps.
FSA-eligible categories include:
- over-the-counter (OTC) medications
- first aid supplies
- menstrual products
- select skin care products
- home diagnostic devices
- select parenting essentials
- pain relieving devices
- erectile dysfunction (ED) medications
- select dental care products
- select eye care products
- medical alert devices
- personal protective equipment
- pregnancy and fertility tests
FSA funds can be used for various healthcare items, but there are limits. For instance, although you use FSA money to purchase dental care items such as mouth guards and denture cleaners, you can’t use FSA money for toothbrushes or toothpaste.
Similarly, parenting essentials like breast pumps and baby monitors are FSA eligible, but items such as baby bottles and diapers are not.
FSA-eligible products are available from various online retailers, including Walgreens, Target, Amazon, Walmart, and others. If the product is FSA eligible, you’re free to shop around for the best price.
We’ve also included links to the Optum Store, which is owned by the same company as Healthline and is a marketplace for medications and everyday health and wellness products.
You have a lot of options. There are thousands of great products available across all FSA-eligible categories. This guide can’t show you all of them, but we’ve rounded up some top choices within key categories to give you an idea of what’s available to you.
We only include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a tangible benefit. Optum Store and Healthline are owned by RVO Health. Here’s our process for selecting and vetting products.
FSA funds can be spent on nearly all OTC medications, including pain relievers, allergy medications, and cough and cold medications. Some examples include:
- Tylenol Extra Strength caplets: This is a classic choice for all-day relief. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Goodsense ColdMax Multi-Symptom and Severe Daytime and Nighttime Cold & Flu caplets: Be prepared for cold and flu season with this night-and-day combo pack. Shop now at the Optum Store.
- Ricola Natural Herb Cough Drops: These cough drops are a popular choice to soothe an irritated throat and calm a cough. Shop now at the Optum Store. Check Amazon for bulk pricing.
- Antidiarrheal caplets: These caplets can help you get relief from unpleasant diarrhea symptoms. These are great addition to your travel kit if you don’t have some already. Shop the Medline brand now at the Optum Store, or check out the Amazon Basic Care option.
- Tylenol PM Extra Strength Pain Reliever & Sleep Aid caplets: Reach for these if you need help resting when you’re in pain or have a fever. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
First aid supplies
Spend your FSA funds to keep your first-aid kit or shelf stocked with supplies like bandages and antibiotic creams. Options include:
- Neosporin Original Antibiotic Ointment: This is always good to have on hand to prevent infections in cuts and wounds. You can purchase Neosporin at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Band-Aid Mickey Mouse Bandages: These fun bandages can keep kids, and kids at heart, smiling while protecting cuts from germs. Shop now at the Optum Store.
- Dr. Sheffield’s Anti-Itch Cream: Keep this anti-itch cream around to help soothe poison ivy, bug bites, and skin irritation. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon for a three-pack.
- Curad Extra-Large Bandages: Maybe you already have smaller bandages, but what about for bigger cuts and scrapes? Add XL bandages to your first aid kit, too. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Band-Aid Large Cushion Care Gauze Pads: These are also great for bigger wounds. They’re available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
Menstrual products, including tampons, pads, period underwear, and cups, are FSA eligible. Options include:
- U by Kotex Security Ultra Thin Pads with Wings: These offer up to 9 hours of leak-free protection. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Tampax Tampons: Tampax is a trusted brand, and these tampons are available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Thinx Period Proof Sport Underwear: These underwear act as a substitute for three tampons. They come in sizes XXS to XXXL. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- DivaCup: This menstrual cup offers up to 12 hours of leak-free protection. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- L. Organic Cotton Tampons: These tampons are made with 100% cotton and are free of chemicals, scents, and dyes. Shop now at Amazon.
Select skin care products
Some medicated and preventive skin care products are FSA eligible. These includes products such as sunscreen, acne products, and some lip balms. Here are some options:
- Sun Bum Original Sunscreen Face Stick, Broad Spectrum SPF 30: This water-resistant sunscreen is gentle enough for sensitive skin. Shop now at Amazon.
- EltaMD UV Elements SPF 44 Tinted Moisturizer: This favorite among skin care aficionados is a tinted moisturizer and can help even out your skin tone. Shop now at Amazon.
- Nivea A Kiss of Recovery Medicated Lip Care SPF 15: Help relieve chapped and irritated lips with Nivea’s medicated lip balm. Shop now at Amazon.
- Murad Acne Body Wash: Fight acne on your neck, back, and shoulders with this top-rated acne body wash. Shop now at Amazon.
- Neutrogena Stubborn Acne AM Treatment: With 2.5% micronized benzoyl peroxide, this leave-on treatment is made to help fight stubborn acne. Shop now at Amazon.
Home diagnostic devices
Use your FSA funds to monitor your health at home by purchasing devices such as thermometers, blood pressure machines, and COVID-19 tests.
- Withings BPM Connect Blood Pressure Monitor: This smart blood pressure monitor can email your blood pressure readings right to your doctor. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Withings Smart Temporal Thermometer: Receive medical-grade and contact-free results with this smart thermometer, available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Home Test: This home COVID-19 test is acceptable for travel and whenever you need to test yourself for COVID-19. Shop now at the Optum Store.
- AliveCor KardiaMobile 6L Personal EKG: Monitor your heart rate and rhythm at home with this personal EKG device, available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Everlywell Blood Sugar (HbA1c) Test: This test allows you to evaluate your blood sugar levels over the past 90 days. Shop now at Everlywell.
Select parenting essentials
Buy supplies for nursing, monitoring, and more. Some options include:
- Lansinoh Stay Dry Nursing Pads: These popular pads are cushioned to maintain shape and prevent leaks. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Elvie Stride Plus Breast Pump: This hands-free, hospital-grade electric breast pump is available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Owlet Cam Generation 2, Smart HD Video Monitor: An essential for parents, this smart baby monitor has night vision and motion sensing so you can watch your baby right from your smartphone. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Advil Infants’ Concentrated Drops Dye-Free: These medicated drops can help infants feel better fast, and they’re available at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Owlet Dream Sleeper Swaddle Wrap: This wearable blanket helps keep babies feeling safe and secure so they get the sleep they need to grow and develop. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
Pain relieving devices
In addition to OTC medications, you can use FSA funds for non-medicated pain relief items, such as message guns, heating pads, and TENS machines.
Some examples include:
- Therabody RecoveryTherm Hot Vibration Back and Core: You can wear this wrap-around device to soothe back pain. Shop now at the Optum Store.
- dpl Wrist Wrap: This wrist wrap uses infrared and red light to relieve painful conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis pain. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
Consultations and prescriptions to help treat or manage ED are FSA eligible. This includes options like HIMS and Roman.
- Roman: The service Roman provides digital care and ships ED medications straight to your home.
- HIMS: You can use HIMS to speak with a healthcare professional and get a prescription sent to you.
Check out our comparison review of the two brands.
Select dental care items are HSA eligible. Examples include:
- dpl Oral Care Light Therapy System: Keep your gums and teeth healthy at home with this light therapy device. It’s designed to boost the performance of teeth whitening, offer mouth pain relief, and better mouth hygiene. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Orajel: This cream can help relieve minor gum pain and toothaches. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Bitvae Smart Oral Irrigator: Water flossers like this are a great way to get your teeth and gums cleaner, especially if you’re not a regular flosser. Shop now at Amazon.
- MUNKCARE Oral Care Swabs: Oral swabs can help with oral hygiene in children or older adults. Shop now at Amazon.
Select eye care items are FSA eligible. You can spend your funds on eye drops, contact lens solutions, and more.
- Visine Dry Eye Relief Drops: Find dry eye relief with these popular eye drops. Shop now at Amazon or the Optum Store.
- Amazon Basic Care Advanced Eye Drops: Keep some basic red relief drops on hand for everyday eye relief. Shop now at Amazon.
- Clear Conscience Multi-Purpose Solution: This cruelty-free contact lens solution is a good choice for sensitive eyes. Shop now at Amazon.
- HiBoite Colored Contact Lens Case: Make a small investment in a new contact lens case with this colorful set. Shop now at Amazon.
- Koala Japanese Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth: It’s never a bad idea to have extra lens cleaning cloths on hand. Shop now at Amazon.
Medical alert devices
Your FSA funds can go toward the purchase of a medical alert device. These devices can connect you with emergency service lines when you’re unable to reach the phone. You can choose from multiple services and options, including:
Personal protective equipment
Your FSA funds can help reduce the spread of infection and keep you safe from bacteria and germs. FSA-eligible items include masks, disinfections, hand sanitizer, and more.
- Tazza Extreme Hand Sanitizing Wipes: These wipes keep your hands clean on the go. Shop now at the Optum Store, or check out Amazon for a 10-pack.
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes: Use these wipes to clean and protect surfaces in your home. Shop now at the Optum Store, or purchase a three-pack at Amazon.
- McKesson Disposable Face Masks: Keep disposal masks in your car, home, or workplace so that you’re always prepared. Shop now at the Optum Store or Amazon.
- Bare Republic 2-in-1 Hand Sanitizer Moisturizing Lotion: Sanitize and moisturize with Bare Republic’s vegan lotion. Shop now at the Optum Store.
- Purell Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer: This pocket- or bag-sized hand sanitizer can go just about anywhere you do. Shop now at the Optum Store, or opt for larger size on Amazon.
Pregnancy and fertility tests
Pregnancy and fertility tests are FSA eligible. These include:
- Easy@Home Combo Kit: This kit links to a smartphone app to give you real and usable data. It includes 50 ovulation strips and 20 pregnancy test strips. Shop now at Amazon.
- Tempdrop Fertility and Ovulation Tracker: Wear this smart tracker around your arm, and it will measure your temperature to help predict fertility. Shop now at Amazon.
- Inito Fertility Monitor: This smart monitor and test strip kit measures precise hormonal levels to predict fertility. The test strips attach to a device that connects to your smartphone. Shop now at Amazon.
- Natalist Early Pregnancy Test Strips: These test strips may help detect a pregnancy days before a missed period. Shop now at Amazon.
- eve Pregnancy Tests: These test strips offer 99% accuracy starting the day of a missed period. Shop now at Amazon.
Find out more about FSA-eligible items and products by reading the answers to some common questions.
What are some FSA-eligible items at Target?
You’ll find a large selection of FSA-eligible items at Target. This includes items such as acne products, sunscreen, OTC medications, menstrual supplies, pregnancy tests, and adhesive bandages. If your local Target has a vision center, you can also use your FSA funds to pick up a pair of prescription sunglasses.
What are some surprising FSA-eligible items?
Many people are surprised to learn that items such as prescription sunglasses, birth control, condoms, sunscreen, medicated skin care, and hand sanitizer are FSA eligible.
What are some FSA-eligible items available via Walmart?
Just like Target, Walmart carries a broad selection of FSA-eligible items. You’ll find drugstore items such as OTC pain relievers and allergy medications; and personal care products such as menstrual supplies, pregnancy tests, and skin care products.
Larger items such as breast pumps and nursing supplies and home care items such as thermometers and blood pressure cuffs are likely to also be in stock.
Can I buy FSA-eligible items on Amazon?
Yes. Amazon carries thousands of FSA-eligible products. You can click the FSA/HSA eligible checkbox on the sidebar to search for these items.
FSA funds are a great way to save money on a wide range of everyday healthcare items. You’ll find thousands of FSA-eligible items at drugstores, big-name stores, and online mega retailers.
FSA-eligible categories include OTC medications, select skin care products, pregnancy products and fertility tests, menstrual supplies, pain relieving devices, personal protective equipment, and more.
There are many useful items across categories that you can choose from to make great use of your FSA funds before the plan year ends.