Most Americans are getting too much sugar, and that’s partly because sugar finds its way into even the healthiest-sounding foods.
Many packaged snacks contain surprising amounts of added sugars. It’s usually listed on nutrition labels with less obvious terms, including:
You might recognize celebrity nutritionist and registered dietitian Keri Glassman of Nutritious Life from her appearances on TV shows like “The View,” “The Talk,” and “The Today Show.” Keri takes a “whole person” approach to wellness. A big part of that comes down to what you put in your body.
She’s come up with some snack ideas without added sugars that are more satisfying and nutritious than whatever’s in your snack drawer. Try them!
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seed
- Mix all ingredients together, and enjoy!
- 1 tbsp. almond butter
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 apple, sliced
- Combine almond butter and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Dip apple in nut butter, and enjoy!
- 2 oz. fresh turkey
- 1 tbsp. hummus
- 1 tbsp. olives, chopped
- 1 large leaf romaine lettuce
- 1/3 avocado, mashed
- 1 slice sprouted grain bread, toasted
- 3 slices peach
- 1 tsp. hemp seeds
- 1 tsp. matcha powder
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp. chopped pecans
- Stir matcha powder into yogurt until well combined.
- Top with blueberries and pecans, and enjoy!
- 2 tbsp. fresh guacamole
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/3 cup radishes
- 1/3 cup grape tomatoes
- Use guacamole for dipping veggies, and enjoy!