Most Americans are consuming too much sugar. For optimal health, the
That’s partly because sugar finds its way into even the healthiest-sounding foods, often listed on nutrition labels as maltose, dextrose, fructose, and other less obvious terms, such as barley malt, rice syrup, and evaporated cane juice. Breakfast foods, which are typically carb-heavy, are a common culprit.
A bowl of
You might recognize celebrity nutritionist and registered dietitian Keri Glassman of Nutritious Life from her appearances on shows like “The View,” “The Talk,” and “The Today Show.” Keri takes a “whole person” approach to wellness. That starts with what you put in your body when you wake up every morning.
She’s come up with some quick breakfast recipes that are nutritious, delicious, and free of added sugar. Check them out below!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. crushed almond
- 1 tsp. hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Place oats into a small bowl or jar.
- Pour almond milk over oats.
- Add additional ingredients and leave in fridge overnight before enjoying.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1/3 avocado
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Pour almond milk into blender.
- Add additional ingredients and blend until smooth.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup rice or almond milk
- 2 tsp. natural peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Combine oats and milk in a small bowl. Microwave on high 2 to 3 minutes, stirring halfway through, and again after oats are cooked through.
- Stir peanut butter into oats mixture until well combined, then stir in cocoa powder.
- 1/4 cup broccoli rabe, stems removed
- 1 tsp. extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 slice Ezekiel bread
- Chop broccoli rabe into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil.
- Add in onion and broccoli rabe and cook until wilted and aromatic.
- Remove broccoli rabe and onion, and crack one egg into the pan until cooked to desired doneness.
- While egg is frying, toast bread until lightly golden.
- Top the toast with egg and veggie mixture, serve warm.
- 1 whole-grain wheat tortilla
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1/3 avocado, cubed
- 2 tbsp. salsa
- Top tortilla with egg, avocado, and salsa. Roll up and enjoy!