If you’re a parent and don’t have an Instant Pot, you need to get in on this life-changer! Instant Pots are all the rage and rightfully so.
For me, this gadget has given my family the ability to eat together more often. What used to take over an hour to cook now takes less than 30 minutes and still tastes amazing! These even save well for leftovers the next day, too. This new cook time is also great for parents because you’ll be able to create delicious recipes without sacrificing time with the kids.
I’ve rounded up three family-favorite recipes that will surely be a hit in your house, too.
Here’s our first creation using chicken legs, which are always a favorite with kids. You also only need three ingredients to make this!
What makes this great: This recipe is super simple to throw together when you have a busy evening, but want to make something everyone in your house will enjoy. It’s also quite inexpensive and only takes 20 minutes in your pressure cooker to get the fall-off-the-bone delicious tenderness! With the addition of sweet pineapple chunks, it’s a meal your kids will definitely love and ask for over and over again.
- 8 medium-sized chicken legs
- 1 can pineapple, in chunks (plus some of the juice)
- 20 oz. barbecue sauce
Ingredient tips: You can use fresh cut pineapple instead of canned, or look for canned pineapple that promises no added ingredients or sugars. Organic, BBQ sauce with no added sugar is always a good choice to keep this meal healthy. When choosing a BBQ sauce, you should also stay away from very thick or honey-style when using your Instant Pot. These may trigger the “burn” message.
- Optional: For an extra veggie boost, slice bell peppers and onions and put that into the pot to cook with the rest of the ingredients.
- Spray the inside of your Instant Pot with a nonstick spray.
- First, pour half the bottle of barbecue sauce in and 1/4 cup pineapple juice on top of that. Place your chicken legs in your pressure cooker, staggering them so there are only two layers and they aren’t overlapping other than the layers.
- Pour the rest of your barbecue sauce on top of your chicken. Then, pour another 1/4 cup pineapple juice into your empty barbecue sauce jar, put the lid on it, and shake to get the rest of your sauce out of the jar. Pour this into your Instant Pot.
- Next, pour 1 cup of the pineapple chunks on top of everything and close the lid.
- Close your steam valve. Set your Instant Pot to pressure, high, for 10 minutes.
- Allow it to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then, release steam valve and carefully open the lid.
- You can serve immediately with a side of rice, quinoa, or fresh salad. If you like the outside to be a bit crispy, put your chicken legs on a nonstick baking sheet and under your broiler on high (the middle rack) for about 3-4 minutes to crisp up.
- Enjoy with your kids!
What makes this great: Chili Mac is always a favorite meal in our house — especially with my kids! You can use lean ground turkey to keep it healthy and elbow macaroni noodles that are fun. Plus, the tomatoes and beans make it a hearty meal that’s easy for me to put together!
What makes this great: Italian wedding soup may sound a bit outside-of-the-box when it comes to kids’ favorite meals ,but by using lean ground turkey meat again, you can make bite-sized meatballs that are fun. Plus, the teeny tiny noodles are “so cute” for them, too.
You can add as many vegetables as you like but carrots are always a favorite in our house. It’s also a great way to introduce a bit of kale or escarole to them too!
Which Instant Pot should you get? There are many different Instant Pot models and we know it can be overwhelming to decide which one is best for your family! We recommend checking out this comparison table which details what each model can make - from yogurt to cakes and even eggs!
Justine is the creative mind behind The Typical Mom blog. She loves sharing easy family-friendly recipes, fun travel destinations, and crafts for kids with other parents. Her family, including 3 daughters, lives in Idaho and loves to travel every chance they get. Follow along on her Facebook page and Instagram to see what she’s cooked up now, and where they’re headed to next!