By now, you’ve probably heard of bulletproof coffee. The caffeinated beverage has a lot of buzz around it (get it?).
But should you be drinking it, or is it just a health fad?
Bulletproof coffee potential benefits
- provides a boost of energy to the brain
- may help you feel full
- helpful for those who follow a keto diet
Coffee alone has been
MCTs have been linked to satiety, thanks to an increase in the release of hormones, peptide YY and leptin. One
Additionally, MCTs can help power the brain. These fats provide an almost-immediate boost of energy to the brain, and have even been
That boost of energy can also be helpful to your workouts.
It’s suggested that bulletproof coffee that includes anywhere between 2 teaspoons up to 2 tablespoons of MCT oil, should replace your breakfast — not be had in addition to it. Otherwise, total calorie intake may be too high.
Replacing a nutrient-dense breakfast with bulletproof coffee may not be the best choice for everyone, however. Consider speaking with your doctor or dietitian about whether bulletproof coffee is right for you.
Also, initial intake of MCT oil may induce diarrhea or digestive symptoms so it’s often recommended to start with 1 teaspoon and increase as tolerated over the following days.
Star ingredient: MCTs
- 8 ounces hot brewed coffee
- 2 tsp. MCT oil or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed butter or ghee
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until combined and frothy. Serve immediately.
- Customize your bulletproof coffee to taste. A few ideas for flavor additions include milk, coconut milk, stevia, honey, vanilla extract, raw cacao powder, cinnamon, or collagen peptides.
Bulletproof coffee should always be consumed alongside a healthy diet. It’s not recommended for those with high cholesterol levels.
Tiffany La Forge is a professional chef, recipe developer, and food writer who runs the blog Parsnips and Pastries. Her blog focuses on real food for a balanced life, seasonal recipes, and approachable health advice. When she’s not in the kitchen, Tiffany enjoys yoga, hiking, traveling, organic gardening, and hanging out with her corgi, Cocoa. Visit her at her blog or on Instagram.