At less than $2 per serving, this sweet and savory grain salad is a winner.
Lentils are made up of 25 percent protein and are an excellent source of fiber, B vitamins, zinc, and potassium.
Like lentils, barley is also rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds.
Meanwhile, pomegranate and apple not only add sweetness to this salad, but a punch of antioxidants with anti-inflammatory benefits.
You can also feel free to experiment with whatever grains you have on hand.
Lentil and Barley Salad with Pomegranate and Feta Recipe
Cost per serving: $1.86
- 3/4 cup dry green lentils
- 1/2 cup dry pearled barley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced shallot
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup shredded radicchio or red cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the lentils and barley with 5 cups of water, 2 cloves of garlic, and sea salt. Bring to a boil and then cover. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the lentils and barley are done (this takes about 25 minutes).
- Drain, discard garlic cloves, and set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by combining the shallot, Dijon mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper (to taste) in a mason jar. Shake vigorously until emulsified and combined.
- Assemble the salad. Combine the cooled barley and lentils with the pomegranate, feta, radicchio, parsley, apple, and almonds.
- Dress with the vinaigrette and toss thoroughly to combine.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Pro tip Make this dish dairy-free and replace the feta with olives to keep that tangy flavor.