Affordable Lunches is a series that features nutritious and cost effective recipes to make at home. Want more? Check out the full list here.
For a delicious, meatless Taco Tuesday at the office, pack these chickpea taco lettuce wraps for lunch.
These are one of the most straight-forward lunches you can make, and they’re extremely customizable. The beauty of these tacos is that you can really top them with anything you desire — or anything that’s in the fridge.
And because this recipe makes 2 servings, it’s perfect to make for dinner and then pack half away for lunch the next day.
Chickpea Taco Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Cost per serving: $2.25
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 6 large bibb or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- half an avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp. pickled jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- Heat a sauté pan with the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and the chickpeas. Season the mixture with the taco seasoning and cook until golden.
- Spoon the chickpea mixture into lettuce wraps and top with shredded cheese, salsa, avocado, pickled jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!
Pro tip Pack the chickpea mixture and the lettuce and toppings in separate containers so you can heat the chickpeas before assembling.
Tiffany La Forge is a professional chef, recipe developer, and food writer who runs the blog Parsnips and Pastries. Her blog focuses on real food for a balanced life, seasonal recipes, and approachable health advice. When she’s not in the kitchen, Tiffany enjoys yoga, hiking, traveling, organic gardening, and hanging out with her corgi, Cocoa. Visit her at her blog or on Instagram.