For a delicious, meatless Taco Tuesday at the office, pack these chickpea taco lettuce wraps for lunch.
These are one of the most straight-forward lunches you can make, and they’re extremely customizable. The beauty of these tacos is that you can really top them with anything you desire — or anything that’s in the fridge.
And because this recipe makes 2 servings, it’s perfect to make for dinner and then pack half away for lunch the next day.
Chickpea Taco Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Cost per serving: $2.25
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 6 large bibb or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- half an avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp. pickled jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- Heat a sauté pan with the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and the chickpeas. Season the mixture with the taco seasoning and cook until golden.
- Spoon the chickpea mixture into lettuce wraps and top with shredded cheese, salsa, avocado, pickled jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!
Pro tip Pack the chickpea mixture and the lettuce and toppings in separate containers so you can heat the chickpeas before assembling.