If you buy something through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission. How this works.
There are two types of people in the world. First, people who enjoy getting up hours before work to sip a leisurely cup of coffee while watching the news. Perhaps they throw dinner in the Crock-Pot, do some laundry, and take their luxurious time getting ready for the day.
And then there are the people on the opposite end of the spectrum. The ones who hit snooze 10 times and roll out of bed at the last possible minute, cursing because they overslept (again), and need to rush out the door in five minutes or less.
No matter which camp you fall into, everyone could use a little extra help in the morning. Luckily, you have enough time to get in a full skin care regimen, workout, meditate, eat breakfast, and do hair and makeup. Yes, really!
All of the steps below can be done in five minutes or less! And feel free to set a timer for each minute of your routine to keep you on track.
Ready, set, and go!
When you’re in a time crunch, don’t worry about the full process of exfoliating, applying a face mask, and contouring like a Kardashian. Instead, with the two quick steps below, you’ll be good to glow in no time.
1. Sonic cleanse: In a pinch, nothing works better than a sonic cleanser like the Clarisonic. The electronic brush system cleans dirt, oil, grease, sweat, and even last night’s makeup six times better than just using your hands. You can’t beat that when you’re short on time. Plus, the invigorating bristle movement will give you a natural and healthy glow.
2. Prep with SPF: After your skin is clean, seal with a moisturizer with built-in SPF so you’re doubling up on protection from the sun for the rest of the day. And if you choose Sephora’s Perricone MD, this face cream also offers the added benefit of working as a primer for your makeup. Bonus: It’s good for every type of skin type, from dry to super sensitive.
You’re obviously not going to get a full workout in, in under a minute. But you can definitely get your blood pumping enough to wake you up. Do these five moves for a quick workout that will hit every single part of your body, from legs and glutes, to shoulders, chest, triceps, and abs. Let’s move.
1. Warmup: Start with a full-body stretch for 5 seconds.
2. Jump squats: Do 20 seconds of jump squats.
- Bend your legs like you’re going to sit down in an imaginary chair.
- Keep your weight in your heels, and explode off the ground.
- Focus on squeezing your butt at the top before you land.
- If you can’t jump, just squat from a standing position.
3. Pushups: Aim for 20 seconds of pushups without stopping. You may think this isn’t very long, but trust me. When you do it, those 20 seconds will suddenly feel a lot longer. Don’t stop for the full 20 seconds, even if you have to do the pushups on your knees.
4. Mountain climbers: Finish with 10 seconds of mountain climbers.
- Keep your shoulders positioned over your hands and contract in your abs as you draw your legs into your chest with each movement.
- Go fast, it’s only 10 seconds!
5. Cool down: End with 5 more seconds of stretching. Om.
Meditation is something that can truly transform your life, and it can really be done in five minutes or less. Studies have shown that even a small amount of meditation can make a difference.
Remember, the point of meditation is to still and empty your mind, so this won’t work unless you commit to fully focusing for the entire minute. If you aren’t in the practice of meditation yet, try this easy practice to get you started:
1. Inhale through your nose as you count to five.
2. Exhale through your mouth as you count to five.
3. Focus completely on your breathing and counting, and empty your mind of any other thoughts. Repeat six times.
Our minds are our own worst enemies when it comes to meditation, so you may need to practice before you learn to chase away your pesky wandering thoughts.
Breakfast is one of the easiest meals to prep overnight — but don’t worry if you haven’t. Instead, you can still whip up a lightning fast healthy and filling breakfast.
Here are three options that can accommodate a variety of diets and pack plenty of nutrition, flavor, and protein to keep you full all morning.
- 1-minute breakfast smoothie: Blend 1 cup of almond milk, a handful of spinach, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, and 1 scoop of protein powder for a power smoothie.
- 1-minute protein oatmeal: Measure 1/2 cup of quick oats into a microwave-safe bowl. Add enough water to cover the oatmeal and stir in 3 to 4 tablespoons of liquid egg whites. Stir well to mix, then microwave for 1 minute. Top with the milk of your choice, cinnamon, a dollop of peanut butter, and sliced banana.
- 1-minute egg scramble: Scramble 2 eggs in a bowl, then sauté in a pan. As the eggs are cooking, throw in a handful of spinach to cook as the eggs finish. Top with sliced tomato, and salt and pepper to season.
Hair and makeup can be a little trickier to do quickly, but it can be done. Here are some hacks to make the most of your quick beauty routine so you can leave the house looking and feeling amazing in no time.
- Shower at night: This is by far my favorite hair hack that lets me sleep to the last possible minute. Some people can’t function without a shower in the morning, but if you’re down with rolling out of bed and going, give the night shower a try. You can spritz down your hair in the morning, style it as usual, or just rock the bedhead look for a casual style.
- Style your hair in a peppy ponytail: If you’ve got long hair, it’s worth a shot to try styling your hair while it’s in a ponytail to save you time. Just gather your hair in a loose scrunchie on the top of your head, then curl and let your strands down. Tousle with your fingers and spray and you’re good to go.
- Invest in rollers: They may be tricky to get the hang of, but they can save you some significant time in the morning. Pro tip: Put in Velcro rollers while you meditate, workout, and eat breakfast, and then remove them for some major volume and style.
- Try blow-dry spray: If you hate blow-drying your hair, give this blow-dry spray a try and see if it helps cut down the time it takes to tame your tresses.
- Buy a microfiber towel: Not only will a microfiber towel help you to dry your hair faster than a traditional towel, it’ll also help reduce the damage to your hair, too. Microfiber is gentler on your hair, especially when it’s wet and more prone to breakage. I can fully attest that I myself use microfiber towels for my hair and they really do work to help dry my hair faster.
- When in doubt, curl it out: If you have no time for any other makeup, focus on the eyes. They will wake up your whole face. Conceal any under-eye circles, then curl your eyelashes and apply one to two coats of mascara. If you have any time left, brush on some bronzer to add color to your cheeks. Finish with your favorite lip color.
- Try magnetic eyelashes: If you despise curling your eyelashes and hate the thought of doing eyelash extensions, or taking the time to apply falsies, try the latest makeup innovation: magnetic eyelashes. They adhere to each other over your lash, so there’s no glue needed. And when you’re ready to take them off, they simply slide off your lashes.
- Go for an all-in-on: To speed up your makeup routine, choose a product that will pull double or triple duty. A makeup stick like Ulta’s Lip + Color Stick will let you quickly add color to your lips and blend on your cheeks as a blush. Done and done.
Is your timer going off yet? Five minutes is all you need to make the most of your morning. But whatever you do, don’t forget the to-go coffee mug as you run out the door …
Chaunie Brusie is a registered nurse with experience in critical care, long-term care, and labor and delivery nursing. She lives in Michigan with her family and loves traveling, reading, writing, and hanging out with her four young kids. She gladly cleans up dinner every night because her husband is a fabulous cook and she once famously ruined frozen pizza. Check out her blog about motherhood, freelance writing, and life.