We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
If you’re in the market for adjustable dumbbells, there are a few considerations. A set is an investment and hopefully a one-time purchase, so try to select the best product for you.
You’ll want to look at your goals, the price points, and the quality. You can also consider which weight range you want to work within and how many weight variations are needed.
Adjustable dumbbells are a valuable addition to your home gym whether you’re an occasional lifter or an avid athlete. They don’t take up a lot of space, and having them in the comfort of your home allows you to work out at your convenience.
To save you time in your selection, we’ve rounded up a few of the best adjustable dumbbells on the market. We researched the best products and pored over consumer reviews to provide you with the details needed to make an informed purchase.
We took into consideration details such as:
We’ve shown you the relative cost of each item with this pricing guide:
- $ = $80–$300
- $$ = $301–$550
- $$$ = over $550
1. ATIVAFIT Single Adjustable Dumbbell
- Price: $
- Key features: Comfortable and designed for easy use, this single adjustable dumbbell has four different weights ranging from 5.5 to 27.5 pounds. The compact push-pull design takes up minimal space. It’s simple to adjust the weights, so you can move through your workout quickly. The comfortable handles are soft and textured, which helps to prevent calluses. It comes with a base that helps protect your floor.
- Considerations: Some users report that the weights move while in use since they don’t lock completely. This can also cause clinking sounds. While the weight does come with a stand, it may be challenging to place it on the rack if you have muscle fatigue. You may opt to have a mat handy.
- Buy it online: ATIVAFIT Single Adjustable Dumbbell
2. YAHEETECH Adjustable Dumbbell Set
- Price: $
- Key features: This dumbbell set comes with 16 weight plates. This allows you to work with four different weight ranges for a maximum weight of 33 pounds each. The dumbbells come with four spinlock collars and two connector options. The slip-proof textured grip bar is easy to maneuver while the plastic weight covers protect your floor. The cement weight plates and plating iron bars are sturdy enough to stand the test of time without rusting.
- Considerations: The set doesn’t come with a storage box, but you can easily stack the flat plates. Some people find the design to be too bulky. The large bar can be hard to grip and the wide plates make the dumbbell long. Manually changing the weights can be time consuming, plus you may need to keep tightening the clamps to secure the weights. Some users reported that the weights moved during exercise.
- Buy it online: YAHEETCH Adjustable Dumbbell Set
3. Nice C Adjustable Dumbbell Set
- Price: $
- Key features: This sleek, intelligent design is perfect for people who want to lift light weights. The easy-to-grip set comes with 18 removable weight bars added to the sides of the dumbbells. You can adjust the weight from 2.2 pounds to 11 pounds per dumbbell.
- Considerations: It takes a while to unscrew the ends to change the weights. You’ll need to plan your workout to allow for this. One reviewer mentioned receiving a product that looked worn, so keep an eye out for this.
- Buy it online: Nice C Adjustable Dumbbell Set
4. IRUI Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Barbell
- Price: $
- Key features: Each dumbbell in this set comes with three sets of weights for a maximum of 33 pounds each. You can use the connector rod of the dumbbells to create a barbell. The connector rod has a rubber coating to protect your hands and provide a firm grip. The company also offers sets with a maximum dumbbell weight of 22 and 44 pounds.
- Considerations: One user reported that since the weight plates are rubber coated, they lack a completely flat surface.
- Buy it online: IRUI Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Barbell
5. Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
- Price: $$
- Key features: You can adjust these at 15 different weights, ranging from 5 to 52.5 pounds. The dumbbells use a dial system that allows you to quickly move between weights and exercises. They come with a base rack and can be used with the Bowflex SelectTech training app.
- Considerations: Some reviewers report that the bars are difficult to grasp and slip out of their hands. The long length of the dumbbells may be difficult to maneuver during certain exercises.
- Buy it online: Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
6. TELK Adjustable Dumbbells
- Price: $$
- Key features: This dumbbell set ranges in weight from 5 to 52.5 pounds in 2.5-pound increments. The set includes 24 cast-iron plates designed to prevent rust and corrosion. The company offers a 5-year warranty on weight plates and parts. The easy-to-use design makes it simple to change weights between sets.
- Considerations: Some users report that the bars aren’t heavy enough to withstand heavier loads. They also report that the material of the bar and weights falls apart or appears damaged. Some people report that the bulky design makes the weights difficult to maneuver.
- Buy it online: TELK Adjustable Dumbbells
7. Topeakmart Adjustable Dumbbells
- Price: $
- Key features: Each dumbbell comes with eight weight plates that total a maximum of 33 pounds. The bars are coated with PVC to ensure comfortable grip control. The plastic coating on the weight plates help protect your floor.
- Considerations: One review noted that it’s difficult to screw on the collars, making it difficult to change weight loads during workouts.
- Buy it online: Topeakmart Adjustable Dumbbells
8. Merax Deluxe Adjustable Dial Dumbbell Set with Weight Plate
- Price: $$$
- Key features: While a solid investment, this weight set is still good value for money. This weight set features two dumbbells ranging in weight from 11 to 71.5 pounds. The weights are adjustable in 5.5-pound increments. The quickly adjustable dial system allows you to quickly change weights. The comfortable rubber grip allows you to securely grip the bar.
- Considerations: A few users reported that the labels fell off the dial. Secure them with glue ahead of time or make labels. Several users reported that the weights fell off during use. If the weights pinch you, you may need to wear gloves. Weights are listed in kilograms so be prepared to convert to pounds, if needed.
- Buy it online: Merax Deluxe Adjustable Dial Dumbbell Set with Weight Plate
9. Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells
- Price: $$$
- Key features: You can adjust each dumbbell from 5 to 50 pounds. The sleek design features a twist lock that allows you to quickly adjust the weights. The handles are secure and easy-to-grip.
- Considerations: Several users reported that the weights move and rattle while in use. Long-lasting durability is a concern. A few reviewers noted that the weights broke after regular use.
- Buy it online: Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells
10. PowerBlock Adjustable Dumbbells
- Price: $
- Key features: You can adjust each dumbbell from 3 to 24 pounds in 3-pound increments. The set uses selector pins for quick changes. A rubber grip allows you to grasp the weight comfortably while your wrists are protected by the padded handle. The company offers a 10-year warranty.
- Considerations: It’s only possible to switch out the pins if you’re on a hard surface, so consider your workout space. On Amazon, check the seller’s reputation to ensure you’re ordering a set and not a single weight.
- Buy it online: PowerBlock Adjustable Dumbbells
11. CAP Barbell Adjustable Dumbbells
- Price: $
- Key features: Each dumbbell comes with four weight plates for a maximum weight of 20 pounds each. The handles are comfortable to grip and easy to maneuver. This product comes with a portable storage case.
- Considerations: Some reviews mention that the collars unscrew easily, which causes the weights to move. A few users have reported that the handles don’t wear well and may even cause cuts or splinters in the hands.
- Buy it online: CAP Barbell Adjustable Dumbbells
When selecting adjustable dumbbells, consider how many different weights you need as well as how many exercises require them.
If you only do a few exercises, you may be able to save on a set that takes longer to adjust. However, if you know you want to be able to quickly change weights, it’s worth it to spend more on an easily adjustable design.
Decide which material you’d like. Most metal dumbbells are coated with chrome, plastic, or vinyl. They’re usually filled with steel or cement. Rubber-coated dumbbells will minimize noise and protect your floors.
If aesthetics are important to you, you may want to select dumbbells with a stylish design, especially if they’ll be visible in your home.
There are certain safety precautions to consider when you’re lifting weights. Always begin with a warmup and finish with a cooldown.
If you’re new to weightlifting or exercise, start with small weight loads while learning proper form and technique. Gradually increase your weight and make sure you’re working within your limits.
Have a towel or mat handy so you can easily place down the weights when you have muscle fatigue. If necessary, use a spotter.
Stop if you experience pain or have difficulty breathing. Talk to your doctor or a personal trainer if you have a health condition or would like some guidance in your weightlifting routine.
Adjustable dumbbells are a great addition to your at-home gym. They provide you with an array of weights to use while taking up minimal space. These dumbbells are a solid investment that you can use to do a variety of strength-building exercises.
Carefully consider exactly how you want to use the weights so you can decide upon the best dumbbells for your individual needs.