We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Essential oils have been used for years in many cultures to treat numerous conditions, from reducing stress to healing wounds to clearing sinuses. There are at least
One of the newer applications for essential oils is in helping the appearance of cellulite. Cellulite is an area of skin, most commonly on the hips, thighs, buttocks, and stomach, that appears lumpy and dimpled due to bulges of fat accumulating under the skin.
However, cellulite doesn’t only affect those who are overweight. According to the Mayo Clinic, genetics likely play the biggest role in determining whether or not you will have cellulite.
While cellulite on its own it is not a serious medical condition, the appearance can be distressing for some. One
According to a
Essential oils are not to be used directly on the skin, as they are very potent and can cause irritation. Essential oils need to be blended with carrier oils. Common ones you might have in your pantry include coconut oil or olive oil.
Other carrier oils recommended by the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy include:
- apricot kernel
- evening primrose
- rosehip seed
- sea buckthorn
- St John’s wort
- sweet almond
Properly diluting essential oils
Once you have chosen at least one essential oil and a corresponding carrier oil, the experts at the University of Minnesota suggests dilution ranging from 1 to 5 percent. If you’re massaging large areas of the body, stick closer to 1 percent.
- 1 percent: 1 drop of essential oil per teaspoon of carrier oil
- 3 percent: 3 drops essential oil per teaspoon of carrier oil
- 5 percent: 5 drops of essential oil per teaspoon of carrier oil
Next, apply the essential oil mixture to the affected area and gently rub. Because these oils tend to evaporate quickly, it is recommended that you apply them two times per day.
A small 2018
However, it is important to keep in mind that there are a number of different factors that could have contributed to these results, including the act of massaging.
There are several precautions you should take when considering an essential oil treatment.
- Ensure your treatment room has good ventilation.
- Keep oils away from eyes.
- Keep oils away from flames, as they can be extremely flammable.
- If treatment causes skin irritation, and if the irritation continues after stopping essential oil use, contact your doctor.
- If you or your child accidentally consumes any essential oils, immediately contact the nearest poison control center and try to drink whole or 2 percent milk. Do NOT induce vomiting.
- Do not ingest essential oils.
Consult with your doctor before trying any treatment plan, including those involving essential oils.
Essential oils have been
Talk to your doctor or dermatologist before using any essential oils, so they can provide guidance for the best treatment options for your skin type.