Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common condition affecting
Today there are many medications available to treat ED, including Staxyn (vardenafil), which offers some special advantages over other ED medications like Viagra, Levitra, Stendra, or Cialis.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how Staxyn works, side effects, and other important information you need to know.
Highlights of Staxyn
- Staxyn (vardenafil) is an oral disintegrating tablet that dissolves on the tongue without the need for water to swallow a tablet.
- It’s only available in brand name to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) and can’t be substituted with Levitra (vardenafil).
- It’s a selective PDE-5 inhibitor with more targeted effect for ED than older medications like Viagra (sildenafil).
- It can be taken about 1 hour before sexual activity, with or without food.
Staxyn (vardenafil) is a brand name prescription medication used to treat ED. It has the same active ingredient as Levitra, but it can’t be substituted.
Staxyn works by improving blood flow to the penis to help men get or keep an erection. Sexual stimulation is still essential to get an erection with Staxyn.
Staxyn comes in a 10 milligram (mg) oral tablet that dissolves on the tongue. This may be a more convenient option for some people taking ED medications over other oral tablets that you swallow.
Staxyn is approved to treat ED. Since the 10 mg tablet is available as a special dissolving tablet, it can’t be split. There’s only one dose option available at this time.
If you have difficulty swallowing tablets, Staxyn may be a better option for you than other oral ED medications.
For people who may need a lower dose with the active ingredient vardenafil, Levitra (film-coated tablet) may be another option. Your doctor will discuss all your medication options.
Advantages of Staxyn
- It’s an oral disintegrating tablet, so you don’t need to take liquid with it. This allows for more discreet use.
- It’s a more selective PDE-5 inhibitor compared to older ED medications like sildenafil (Viagra).
- There are fewer vision-related side effects compared to Viagra.
Disadvantages of Staxyn
- You need to take it at least 1 hour before sexual activity — it doesn’t work immediately.
- It’s available only as brand name, so it’s more expensive than generic ED medications.
- You can’t adjust it to a lower dose, as there’s only a 10 mg option.
Staxyn is a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE-5) inhibitor class of medication. These medications all work to block the effect of PDE-5 (an enzyme) and increase nitric oxide, which lets the smooth muscles in the penis relax. This allows blood to flow into the penis, leading to an erection.
Staxyn only works with arousal or sexual stimulation. It doesn’t cure ED.
What is ED?
Erectile dysfunction refers to a common condition that occurs when a man can’t get or keep an erection long enough for sex. ED can also happen when there’s a lack of interest in sexual activity.
It may be caused by many reasons, including:
Staxyn is available as a 10 mg oral disintegrating tablet that you place on your tongue to dissolve.
Take the medication 1 hour before sexual activity. You can take Staxyn with or without food, but don’t take it with liquids.
Be sure your hands are dry when you open the packet, and place the tablet on your tongue right away.
Don’t split, crush, or chew Staxyn, because this might affect how the medication works. Take only one dose of Staxyn per day.
If you need a lower dose, your doctor will discuss other ED medication options.
Most side effects from Staxyn are mild and go away after using the medication for a few days or weeks. If you experience any serious side effects, call your doctor or pharmacist.
Common side effects of Staxyn include:
When to seek emergency care
If you have a life threatening reaction to Staxyn, call 911 or your local emergency services right away. These reactions can include:
- an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours (priapism), which can cause permanent damage to penile tissue
- sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes
- sudden decreased vision in one or both eyes
- sudden loss or decrease in hearing
Certain medications can interact with Staxyn. It’s important to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about all your medications you take, including over-the-counter medications.
A few examples of medications that interact include:
- antifungal medications like ketoconazole
- certain antibacterial medications like clarithromycin
- alpha-blockers like doxazocin
- protease inhibitors for HIV treatment
- blood pressure medications
- pulmonary arterial hypertension medications like Riocoguat
- herbal supplements like St. John’s Wort
Don’t take Staxyn with the following in particular:
- other PDE-5 inhibitors
- nitrate class medications used for heart disease
- grapefruit or grapefruit juice, as it can increase the effect of Staxyn and cause more side effects
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a full list of side effects and drug interactions with Staxyn. Be sure to read the package inserts and all information provided with your medication.
Take Staxyn exactly as your doctor prescribes. Taking too much Staxyn may cause serious side effects.
Don’t take more than one dose of Staxyn per day. When you first start taking Staxyn, be patient, as it can take a few doses to determine the best timing for Staxyn for you.
Call your doctor or Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 if you think you have taken too much Staxyn.
Taking too much Staxyn can increase the risk for side effects like:
- erections lasting several hours (priapism)
- vision changes
- back pain
Seek medical help right away if you experience:
- an erection that lasts more than 4 hours
- sudden changes in hearing or vision loss
- chest pain, shortness of breath, pain, numbness, or tingling
- an allergic reaction (itching, difficulty breathing, swelling, or other allergic symptoms)
- low blood pressure (fainting, dizziness, nausea, loss of consciousness)
Talk to your doctor about symptoms of ED and what steps and treatment options are available.
Comparison chart of Staxyn and other ED medications
|Dose Available||10 mg||2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg||5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg||50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg||25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg|
|Usual Dose||10 mg||2.5 mg for daily use; 10 mg for as needed use||10 mg, 5 mg for men 65 years and older||100 mg||50 mg|
|How taken?||oral dissolving tablet||oral tablet||oral tablet||oral tablet||oral tablet|
|Time to take effect||60 minutes before sexual activity||30 minutes before sexual activity||60 minutes before sexual activity||Depends on dose (15–30 minutes before sexual activity)||30–60 minutes before sexual activity|
Your doctor will decide if Staxyn is right for you based on your health and other medications you may be taking.
Don’t take Staxyn without consulting a doctor or healthcare provider first if you have certain conditions, such as:
- low or high blood pressure
- heart disease
- liver or kidney disease
- previous stroke
- blood disorders (sickle cell anemia, leukemia)
- eye disorders
- stomach ulcer
ED is a complex condition and can be caused by many conditions. It’s important to find out the cause of ED by discussing all your health conditions (including emotional) with your doctor.
Diet, exercise, and other lifestyle choices can make a positive difference.
Some treatment options include:
Your doctor will do a physical exam and other tests to find out the cause of your ED. It’s important to have an honest discussion about ED and your health to find the best treatment options available, including Staxyn.
Staxyn is a brand name version of vardenafil, which has a special formulation that allows it to dissolve on the tongue. It’s a more convenient and discreet version not available with similar PDE-5 inhibitors like Viagra or Levitra. If you have trouble swallowing pills, Staxyn may be a better choice for you to treat ED.
The cost of the medication may be higher than other ED medications available in generic form. Your insurance may or may not cover Staxyn. Call your insurance provider to check whether the medication is covered by your plan.
Staxyn is only available in one dose currently (10 mg) and can’t be substituted.
Don’t take over-the-counter supplements or herbs, and don’t purchase ED medication online. These products can have dangerous side effects or interact with other medications.
Instead, talk with your doctor about your concerns with ED.