If you’ve heard of Semenax, you might be curious if the herbal supplement can really enhance semen production, among the other male-targeted promises for better sex.
We dug into the claims to provide this comprehensive review, including a look at its ingredients and how likely the product is to work.
Spoiler alert: We don’t recommend Semenax, because it’s not likely to be effective. However, we will cover some other safer, more effective alternatives.
Semenax is a supplement produced by a company called Leading Edge Health.
It’s marketed as a “male wellness” product — or, more specifically, a semen-increasing supplement.
This product makes some bold claims, with promises to enhance semen production, boost sexual pleasure, and deliver longer orgasms.
Semenax is said to be formulated with a proprietary blend of natural amino acids and herbal concentrates from Europe, China, and South America.
Dr. Jessica Yih, a urologist at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center says that, while some ingredients are ones that have been studied, with some limited evidence to suggest effectiveness, the dosages may be too low to be effective.
However, both of these studies were small, and more research is needed.
Along with zinc and maca, here are some other Semenax ingredients:
It’s not likely that Semenax is effective.
There are plenty of anecdotal reports online about the product acting as something of a miracle product. But, at this time, there are no studies or any research from credible sources that support the brand’s claims.
Additionally, a 2020 study reported that only a quarter of these types of supplements have any research backing up their claims.
Lysine and L-arginine
Although L-arginine has been studied as a possible treatment for erectile dysfunction (ED), no credible research supports the idea that lysine deficiency causes ED, or that L-lysine can enhance penis volume.
Yih says there’s also a lot of misinformation presented around this product.
She explains that only about 10 percent of semen is made up of sperm, while the rest of the fluid is from the prostate, urethral glands, and seminal vesicles.
“Even if you do produce more fluid from the prostate, urethra, and seminal vesicles, the intensity of orgasm is not likely to be directly related to the volume,” she says. “It actually has more to do with a person’s level of arousal and their pelvic floor muscle strength.”
She also says any supplement may have a significant placebo effect — as someone taking it is likely to start thinking more about sex, and may feel increased confidence, increasing their level of arousal.
At this time, we couldn’t find any reported side effects linked to Semenax.
However, it’s worth noting that, just because a supplement is “natural,” it doesn’t mean it’s safe.
A 2019 study reported that only a small amount of herbal supplements have been thoroughly tested for toxicity or their potential to cause cancer.
It’s a good idea to talk with a doctor before taking any herbal supplements. This is even more important if you’re taking any medications.
Some herbal supplements may interact with medications or potentially make them less effective.
Pricing for Semenax varies, though a 1-month supply typically retails for $79.95.
Semenax sale pricing seems to drop per bottle if you purchase more than one bottle at a time.
The manufacturer says the product comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
It doesn’t appear that the brand has any warning letters from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or any active lawsuits at this time.
Semenax has a profile on Trustpilot — a third-party consumer review website — and the comments and reviews are overall positive.
Satisfied users generally comment on how the supplement increased their semen quantity, with many saying they saw positive effects in as little as 3 days. Others say the product also lengthened their orgasms and boosted their intensity.
There are plenty of alternatives you can try to get the results you’re hoping for if you’re shopping for a product like Semenax.
Here are some of Yih’s recommendations:
- Actively think about sex more. Yih says this is the most natural way to increase your libido. “Plan date night[s], explore different ways of touching yourself or your partner… set the mood with romantic lighting and music, etc.” She says more time spent on foreplay will lead to more stimulation of the prostate, urethra, and seminal vesicles to secrete more fluid, leading to more semen production.
- Increase your pelvic floor muscle. Yih suggests doing pelvic floor muscle exercises like kegels. “Kegels are not just for women. Men can do kegels to help improve their control over their ejaculation, increasing the time to ejaculation (if they have premature ejaculation) and strengthen the intensity of their ejaculation.”
- Consider prescription medications. There are a few options available, including clomiphene and hCG. These increase testosterone levels, which can also improve erectile function and libido. Yih says it’s also important to note that, although direct testosterone supplementation with testosterone gel or injections is good for improving erectile function and libido, it will actually cause your testicles to stop producing sperm. Your ejaculate volume may increase, but the sperm counts will most likely decrease or stop production altogether.
- Consider consulting with a naturopathic doctor. There are plenty who specialize in natural remedies.
- Consider taking certain vitamins. Yih says there’s evidence that antioxidant vitamins and supplements may improve male fertility. “Infertile men have a higher concentration of free radicals in their semen compared to fertile men. Free radicals attack the membrane that surrounds sperm.”
Here is the breakdown of vitamins Yih recommends:
- vitamin C: 500 mg per day
- selenium: 100 mcg per day
- CoQ10: 200 mg per day (Yih points out that several studies
showCoQ10’s effectiveness in improving sperm count and motility)
- vitamin E: 200 IUs per day
- folic acid: 400 mcg per day
- multivitamin: one that contains no more than 20 mg of zinc and no more than 200 IUs of vitamin E
Do Semenax pills work?
Yih says that, while some ingredients have been studied, with some limited evidence to suggest effectiveness, the dosages may be too low to be effective.
Is Semenax safe?
Although Leading Edge Health says Semenax doesn’t trigger any side effects, there are no studies backing this claim.
The product is produced by pharmaceutical manufacturers that are compliant with
How long does it take for Semenax to work?
According to the brand, people may see results after taking Semenax for 2 weeks.
The company also gives a vague promise on the website, saying that, after “2 to 3 months of supplementation, you’re likely to be experiencing significantly superior ejaculations.”
However, Semenax is not scientifically proven to work.
Semenax is a supplement marketed to improve ejaculations.
Although the product contains some well-known, helpful ingredients — like certain amino acids and vitamins — it’s unlikely that this product will work as advertised. Additionally, it may simply offer users a placebo effect.
There are other alternatives available, like medications for ED and certain vitamins. There are further ways to improve your sex life, like actively thinking about sex more and creating stimulating environments for it to happen.
If you’re considering Semenax, it’s important to talk with your doctor first. Some herbal supplements may interact with medications.
Breanna Mona is a writer based in Cleveland, OH. She holds a master’s degree in media and journalism and writes about health, lifestyle, and entertainment.