Growth charts show that most males grow very little after the age of 18. In rare cases, some may continue to grow into their early twenties.
At age 16, you can drive a car. At 18, you’re legally an adult in most states. At 21, you can legally buy alcohol. But at what age do you stop growing taller?
Even if you hit puberty late, you’re unlikely to grow significantly after the ages of
In this article, we’re going to discuss when guys typically stop growing and factors that determine how tall you’ll be.
In this article, we talk about how long people assigned male at birth keep growing. It’s important to note that not everyone assigned male at birth identifies with the label “man” or “guy” or “boy.” However, at times we use these terms to reflect the language in a study or statistic.
We also occasionally use these terms to make sure people can find this article with the terms they search. When possible, we aim to be inclusive and create content that reflects the diversity of our readers.
Boys grow fastest during puberty. Some boys may begin puberty as early as nine while others might not hit it until they’re 15. For many guys, their biggest growth spurt will be between the ages of 12 to 15.
Puberty can last two to five years. Spending more time in puberty doesn’t mean that you’ll be taller than somebody who spends less time in it.
Growth charts show that majority of guys grow just a little after the ages of 18. In rare cases, some people may hit puberty in their late teens and continue to grow into their early twenties.
The reason most guys stop growing at this age is because their growth plates fuse shortly after puberty.
Once a bone is fused, it can’t continue to grow longer.
Your height is largely determined by your genetics. External factors like the amount of sleep you get and your nutrition also play a role in determining how tall you’ll grow.
Genetics play the largest role in determining how tall you’ll be. It’s estimated that about 80 percent of your height is determined by your genetics. The other 20 percent is influenced by external factors.
You can estimate a child’s height by using the mid-parental method:
- Add the heights of the child’s mother and father together and divide by two.
- If the child is a boy, add 2.5 inches. If the child is a girl, subtract 2.5 inches.
For example, if a male child’s dad is 5’11” and mom is 5’4,” the child will likely be around 5’10.” However, this is just a rough guide, not an exact prediction.
Besides your genetics, nutrition has the
Protein deficiency is the common nutrient deficiency that limits height. Mineral, vitamin D, and vitamin A deficiencies also impact growth.
Your body produces growth hormone and thyroid-stimulating hormone when you’re sleeping. Both these hormones are essential for the proper development of bones.
Not getting adequate sleep is thought to stunt growth, although more research is needed to fully understand the role of sleep on height development.
Some stimulant medications used to treat attention deficit disorder may cause delays in growth. However, more research is needed to understand their effects.
Various genetic or chronic conditions can lead to stunted growth. Some conditions include:
Average height of men in the United States
According to the
There’s little you can do to influence your height once your growth plates fuse. Even regular exercise and a healthy diet are unlikely to influence your height.
You may be able to make a small gain in height by improving your posture. Improving your posture will help straighten your spine but won’t make your bones grow longer.
Some ways you may be able to improve your posture include:
- regular stretching
- strengthening your core
- sitting with good posture regularly
- exercising regularly
- avoiding slouching
Your height fluctuates by roughly
It’s important for children to get regular checkups with a pediatrician so they can have their growth tracked over time. Their doctor can compare their growth curve those of other children their age to see if they’re progressing normally.
A doctor can also answer any specific concerns you may have about your or your child’s height.
Your genetics are the biggest factor that determine how tall you’ll be.
External factors like your diet and the amount of sleep you get as you’re growing also play a role in determining your health.
The growth plates of your long bones fuse shortly after puberty. Once these bones fuse, there’s little you can do to change your height. Most guys reach their adult height in their late teens.