We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Fiber is essential for healthy digestion, and high fiber diets are linked to improved heart health.
Food sources high in fiber include:
- split peas
- black beans
- lima beans
There are fiber supplements available in many forms that can help people who want to increase the amount of fiber in their diets if they’re not eating or getting enough from food.
- Best inulin fiber supplement: Fiber Choice Fruity Bites
- Best methylcellulose fiber supplement: Citrucel SmartFiber Caplets
- Best psyllium fiber supplement: Metamucil Fiber Gummies
- Best wheat dextrin fiber supplement: Benefiber Powder
- Best organic fiber supplement: Garden of Life Organic Fiber Supplement
- Best functional food fiber supplement: Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Chia Seeds
- Best fiber supplement with antioxidants: Thorne Research FiberMend
How we choose the best fiber supplements
- Type of fiber. Different types of dietary fiber can be found in the foods we eat. The same is true for dietary fiber supplements. Our product list includes supplements containing a variety of fiber types, which we explain in more detail below, so you can find what best fits your needs.
- Supplement quality. The supplement industry isn’t well-regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Therefore, our product list includes fiber supplements manufactured by companies with positive reputations in facilities that adhere to
CGMPs(current good manufacturing practices).
- Supplement type. Fiber supplements are sold in a variety of forms, including powders, gummies, caplets, and whole foods. We understand factors such as convenience, portability, and taste are important when choosing a fiber supplement. For example, someone who doesn’t like the taste or texture of supplement powders may choose a fiber gummy instead. Thus, we’ve included several different forms so you can decide what works best.
- Overall cost. We understand budget may be a limiting factor when it comes to purchasing dietary supplements. So we’ve included fiber supplements ranging from below $0.25 per serving to more than $1.00 per serving.
It may also regulate blood sugar and even lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Additionally, soluble fiber is associated with lowering blood pressure, which may lead to reduced cardiovascular risk (
You can find soluble fiber in foods like:
- dried peas
Insoluble fiber doesn’t absorb water and adds bulk to your stool. It helps move food through your digestive system quickly and can relieve constipation. Insoluble fiber has been associated with a decreased risk of diverticulitis and cardiovascular disease (7,
You can find insoluble fiber in foods like:
- dark green leafy vegetables
- wheat bran
- brown rice
Fiber supplements can help you meet the Recommended Daily Intake of fiber to support bowel movements, especially in people who find it difficult to consume enough from dietary sources such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Fiber has been shown to improve LDL (bad) cholesterol and other blood lipid levels to support heart health. It’s also been shown to reduce blood sugar levels (
It’s important to speak with your primary care professional before taking a fiber supplement if you also take medications that affect blood cholesterol or blood sugar levels.
It’s important to note that while fiber supplements do provide health benefits, they lack the vitamins, minerals, and other healthful compounds that fiber-rich foods provide.
Therefore, it’s encouraged to obtain fiber from fiber-rich dietary sources when possible and to use supplements as needed.
A note on price
General price ranges are indicated below with dollar signs ($–$$$). One dollar sign means the product is very affordable, whereas three dollar signs indicate a higher cost.
Generally, prices range from $0.19–$1.24 per serving, or $11.79–$37.05 per container, though this may vary depending on applicable discounts and where you purchase from.
Note that serving sizes vary but may provide 3–7 grams of dietary fiber.
- $ = under $0.25 per serving
- $$ = $0.25–$0.50 per serving
- $$$ = over $0.50 per serving
Best inulin fiber supplement
- Price: $$$
- Dose: 2 gummies
- Servings per container: 45
Inulin can be found in chewable tablet form as Fiber Choice, which is 100% prebiotic fiber.
- convenient gummy form
- inulin prebiotic fiber may cause gastrointestinal (GI) issues
- not third-party tested for purity
- contain added sugar
Best methylcellulose fiber supplement
- Price: $$–$$$
- Dose: 2–4 caplets dissolved in 8 ounces of water
- Servings per container: 25–50
Methylcellulose is commonly found on the shelves in products like Citrucel with SmartFiber, which is 100% soluble fiber and found in powder or caplet form (16).
It’s also sold as a thickener and emulsifier in the culinary world. Because of methylcellulose’s chemical structure, it only dissolves in cold liquid (17).
- convenient caplet form
- non-fermentable fiber (less likely to cause gas)
- number of caplets needed for full dose
- not third-party tested for purity