1. You’re tired of hearing people say, “Snap out of it!” or “Pull yourself together!”
2. You don’t have the flu, so sleeping all day doesn’t make anything better.
3. If you know someone who went into a funk when their kids left the nest, you take them out to celebrate and explain that they’re missing the point!
4. Life is always changing, so you also have to. Have breakfast for dinner.
5. You learn not to pile on more layers of melancholy. They get too heavy.
6. If someone tells you to see a doctor, you do it. They’re there to help you through this.
7. You practice positive thinking and make silly faces in the mirror. Because no one will see you.
8. You take your meds and give them a chance to kick in. You try to be a patient patient.
9. You join a support group.
10. You go to a homeless shelter or a children’s hospital and give someone hope.
11. You moved to a new town, you don’t know anyone yet. So you volunteer.
12. You get a puppy.
13. Or a kitten.