We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Staying cool while you sleep can be important to get a good night’s rest. Enter: cooling pillows.
There are several different types of cooling pillows. Some work by absorbing and dissipating heat. Others wick away sweat, or increase airflow, keeping the pillow cool to the touch.
To choose the best cooling pillows for you to try, we looked at features, analyzed manufacturers’ claims, and checked out customer reviews. We also took price and money-back guarantees into consideration.
No matter why you want a cooling pillow, here are 7 to consider for keeping your cool so you can get some rest.
This Tempur-Pedic pillow features an inner layer of memory foam surrounded by a wrap-around layer of cooling gel. It’s covered in a removable, cotton-knit case that’s machine washable.
The pillow has a very dense feel and provides extra soft support. It comes with a 5-year limited warranty from the manufacturer.
- Pros: Because the entire pillow is surrounded with a single, continuous gel layer, it’s nice for restless sleepers and for those who want cooling during the entire night. The firm support provides a comfortable night’s sleep for all sleep positions.
- Cons: Some people require more firm support than this pillow offers. It’s also heavy, weighing in at around 5 pounds.
- Queen: 27 x 19 x 6.4 inches
- King: 35 x 19 x 6.4 inches
This PharMeDoc pillow is designed to reduce headaches, neck aches, and backaches.
It’s made from memory foam, with an outer, cooling gel layer. It’s curved to conform to your neck’s shape, so you can sleep comfortably on your back or side. It’s also hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. And it’s free of phthalates, latex, and BPA, and comes with a removable pillowcase.
- Pros: The PharMeDoc provides a firm, full feeling under the neck and head. It will not flatten out during the night or over time. Users say that it provides significant cooling relief and is great for headaches.
- Cons: The pillow has an odor for several days after unpacking. You can eliminate this by letting it air out completely or by covering it with several pillowcases while using.
- Standard: 24 x 15.5 x 5.5 inches
This pillow uses cooling phase change material, sewn over a down-like fiber filling. Unlike gel, phase change material works by absorbing your body’s heat and dispersing it.
The Helix Ultra-Cool is available in standard and king sizes. The outer fabric is 100 percent cotton. The inner fabric is microfiber.
- Pros: This pillow is super comfortable as well as cooling. It’s antimicrobial and comes with a 1 year guarantee. It also has two pillow inserts instead of one, so you can adjust the width and firmness to your specific liking.
- Cons: Some users complain that the pillow has a chemical smell.
- Standard: 20 x 28 inches
- King: 20 x 36 inches
Cariloha gel pillow
The Cariloha Gel Pillow is made with fibers from bamboo, memory foam, and with a cooling gel layer on top. It’s moisture-wicking and repels odors, making it an excellent choice for people who deal with night sweats. The washable cover is also removable.
- Pros: This pillow is firm with a soft center and provides some orthopedic support in addition to cooling capabilities. Users say it retains its cooling capabilities throughout the night and provides headache as well as sweat relief.
- Cons: Some users complain about a chemical smell that lingers.
- Standard: 27 x 20 inches
- King: 36 x 20 inches
Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow
This pillow is considered medium-firm. One side has a cool gel layer and the flip side is memory foam.
On hot or warm nights, sleeping on the cooling gel side is meant to disperse heat and promote airflow. On nights that you don’t need cooling support, you can flip the pillow over to sleep on the memory foam side.
The hypoallergenic cover is removable and machine washable.
- Pros: This pillow supplies a good amount of head and neck support. It’s naturally antimicrobial, and is said to resist mold, dust mites, and bacteria. Users rave about its wicking ability, making it a great option for people with night sweats. Since this pillow has a cool side and a regular side, it provides a good option for anyone who doesn’t always feel too hot at night. For example, some people find that they sleep hotter right before or during their periods.
- Cons: Some users have mentioned that this pillow emitted a chemical odor for a day or two, requiring off-gassing. Others say that it warms up during the night, unless the room itself is on the cool side.
- Standard: 24 x 16 x 5 inches
Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow
Cooling body pillows can provide extra body support as well as cooling, and can be especially helpful when you’re trying to sleep when pregnant.
The Snuggle-Pedic is designed for back and side sleepers. It features a patented cover that’s made from bamboo, polyester, and lycra, designed to allow good ventilation. Bamboo fiber has the potential for cooling and temperature regulating fabric.
- Pros: This pillow conforms readily to your shape, providing comfortable, full-body coolness. It’s hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. It’s manufactured in the U.S. and according to users has no chemical smell. The pillow is also machine washable.
- Cons: The pillow takes some time to fully plump up, so make sure to give yourself at least half an hour after taking it out of the box before it’s sleep-ready. The manufacturer suggests tumbling it briefly in a drier to fluff it up. Some people feel they need an additional head pillow in order to get a really comfortable and cool night’s sleep.
- Dimensions: 20 x 54 inches
Travelon Cooling Gel Neck Pillow
This Travelon pillow is U-shaped with a cushy gel top. It’s designed to supply head, neck, and shoulder support. It weighs in at 0.25 pounds, making it comparable in weight and size to regular travel pillows.
- Pros: If you get overheated while traveling on planes or trains, this gel neck pillow will be a lifesaver. The cover can be removed and machine washed, so you can use it repeatedly on trips. The manufacturer offers a 90-day guarantee.
- Cons: It contains some chemicals which are on the California Proposition 65 list.
- Dimensions: 13 x 12 x 4 inches
- If possible, always sleep in a cool room that’s around 60-67°F or lower.
- Opting for sheets in breathable, cooling fabrics, such as 100 percent cotton, can help. Avoid sheets and pillowcases that are flannel or brushed, even if they are cotton.
- Never sleep on polyester sheets or wear acrylic fabrics to bed, as these produce and trap in heat.
- Try silk pillowcases or even a whole silk sheet set.
- Take a cool shower or bath before bed. This will help to lower your body temperature.
- Staying hydrated can help your body maintain coolness.
- Cooling mattresses and mattress toppers are available. While these may be more expensive than cooling pillows, they’re excellent for providing additional, all-over cooling relief.
- Avoid foam mattresses that trap in heat.
- Use air conditioning, whole house fans, ceiling fans, or a personal fan whenever possible.