The cannabidiol (CBD) industry is quickly developing, outpacing regulations, and crowded with companies that tout the benefits of their products. It can be hard to figure out which CBD brands and products are safe and potentially beneficial.
To help make this process a little easier, we’re here to offer balanced, unbiased reviews that give you the facts and information you need to make the best decision for your health.
We evaluate CBD brands and products based on four criteria. Each product receives a score out of 100. We’ll only show you products that pass with a score of 75 or higher.
- Medical accuracy and integrity (25 points): We review health claims the company makes and determine whether they’re supported by research and allowable by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Industry and ethical standards (30 points): We check to see whether the company works in an ethical way and follows industry best practices. This includes whether:
- it’s certified compliant with the FDA’s good manufacturing practices
- it’s transparent about where it grows its hemp
- its products are organic
- it’s transparent about its ingredients
- it has a clear return policy and accessible customer service
- its product testing is done by an independent, ISO 17025-compliant third party
- it markets its products to adults only
- Objective indicators of trust (30 points): When we review each product’s certificate of analysis, we check that:
- the cannabinoid profile and potency match the product label
- the THC content is at or below the federally legal limit (0.3 percent)
- pesticides, molds, and heavy metals are stated to be below the allowable limits
- the testing was completed sometime within the last 12 months
- Company reputation (15 points): We check to make sure each company hasn’t been found guilty in recent lawsuits related to consumer safety. We also make sure the company has no unresolved FDA warning letters and is in good standing with the Better Business Bureau.
When we evaluate individual products for our “Best of” articles, we also consider:
- added ingredients that may enhance the effectiveness of the product
- potency level
- CBD type (full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, or isolate)
- product type (gummy, oil, capsule, or topical)
- user reviews
- available flavors and scents
- any other factors that may make the product unique
While we’re always on the lookout for new CBD brands and products, our list of vetted products is not comprehensive. If you don’t see your favorite CBD product on our site, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not a quality product — it may just mean that we haven’t taken a look at it yet.
We don’t conduct testing on these products ourselves. Our ratings are only based on our evaluation of the publicly available information that each company provides.
Our ratings are accurate as of the date listed next to each product or brand. While we periodically update our ratings, information upon which those ratings are based is subject to change.