- Brotzu lotion, an unofficial name for Trinov lotion, is one of the newest hair loss products on the market.
- Similar to hair products like minoxidil (Rogaine), Brotzu lotion claims to prevent and treat some kinds of hair loss, like male pattern baldness and alopecia.
- Brotzu lotion is applied topically, or directly to the areas of balding or thinning.
The official name of this lotion is Trinov Lozione Anticaduta or Trinov Hair Loss Lotion, though it’s also known as Brotzu, after one of its creators. It’s a hair loss product made by the Italian company Fidia Farmaceutici.
There are two kinds of Brotzu lotion: one for men and one for women. This treatment is available without a prescription, and it’s applied directly to the scalp to treat hair loss and balding in adults. Brotzu lotion works with the hormones in the body to help slow or prevent hair thinning and loss.
Brotzu lotion contains three main chemicals that have medicinal properties to help treat and prevent hair thinning and hair loss. Each chemical works differently to help improve hair loss:
- Dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA): helps to increase blood circulation in hair roots
- Equol: a type of isoflavone, lowers the amount of a type of testosterone, a hormone that triggers hair thinning and loss
- Propionyl-l-carnitine (PLC): improves energy production to help hair grow
People with androgenic alopecia
According to a
- less blood circulation in the scalp
- high levels of a type of testosterone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
The researchers tested Brotzu lotion on 30 men and 30 women with average ages of 46 and 49. All the adults tested had signs of hair loss due to androgenic alopecia. The study found that both groups showed improvement in hair loss and more new hair growth after 1 to 3 months of applying 1 milligram of Brotzu lotion daily.
More research is needed
It should be noted that this is the only study on how well Brotzu lotion works, and there are not yet any independent studies on this hair product.
People with alopecia areata
Another less common kind of hair loss is called alopecia areata. This kind of complete hair loss can happen in children and adults. Anecdotal reports have shown that Brotzu lotion may help improve this type of severe hair loss. However, no testing has been done to verify these reports.
More research is needed on using Brotzu lotion and topical hair products that have similar ingredients.
Using Brontzu lotion may cause skin irritation in people with more sensitive scalps and skin, and in people with allergies. This might be due to added perfumes or dyes in the lotion.
More research is needed on side effects
Brotzu lotion mainly relies on equol’s ability to block testosterone-mediated hair loss.
Equol is known for its ability to affect levels of certain hormones like DHT in the body and for its antioxidant properties.
Side effects of lowered DHT levels
Equol can help reduce high levels of DHT in the body. But lowering the amount of this type of testosterone in the body can cause side effects in some people. Side effects may include:
- lowered libido (sex drive) in men and women
- decreased volume of ejaculate in men
- erectile dysfunction in men
- gynecomastia (breast tissue growth) in men
- general anxiety disorder
Brotzu lotion contains powerful chemicals that lower the amounts of certain hormones in the body. This can also cause an imbalance with other hormones. As such, using Brotzu lotion may interact with medications that also affect hormonal levels. These include:
- birth control
- fertility medications
- hormone replacement therapy
- other hormone treatments
Talk to your doctor if you’re planning on using Brotzu lotion. Don’t use this product if you’re pregnant, nursing, or trying to become pregnant.
Brotzu lotion is a newer kind of topical hair lotion. Like minoxidil (Rogaine) and other hair loss products, it must be used regularly to have any effect. It isn’t yet known if the effects remain or go away once you stop using Brotzu lotion.
Brotzu lotion is not a cure for hair loss, but it may work for some people. More research is needed on its use and effectiveness.