We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Bio-Oil was developed to help prevent and heal scars and stretch marks.
Bio-Oil is the name of the oil as well as the name of the oil’s manufacturer. Ingredients include:
- mineral oil
- sunflower seed oil
- tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E)
- anthemis nobilis flower (chamomile) oil
- lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil
- rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) oil
- calendula officinalis (marigold) extract
- glycine soja (soybean) oil
Keep reading to learn about the uses and benefits of Bio-Oil for your skin.
Bio-Oil claims to help:
Here are additional results from participants in the study:
- 93 percent said that Bio-Oil had a long-lasting soft and supple skin feeling
- 61 percent indicated that they felt the product improved their skin appearance
- 51 percent said that their scars and stretch marks looked less pronounced
- 17 percent indicated that the oil had no benefit
Bio-Oil can be used on the four primary categories of acne scars:
Although Bio-oil isn’t considered an acne treatment, one of the ingredients is used to treat acne.
Also, Bio-Oil is noncomedogenic, meaning that it won’t clog pores.
For acne, your doctor is more likely to recommend products other than Bio-Oil, such as:
The plant-based oils in Bio-Oil are hydrating and can cosmetically reduce the appearance of wrinkles by plumping the skin.
Although Bio-Oil is generally considered safe, it isn’t recommended for use on broken or bleeding skin. Also, according to a
If you think you might be sensitive to linalool or any of the listed ingredients in Bio-Oil, before starting regular use, put a small amount on your forearm and wait 30 to 60 minutes. If you experience a reaction, discontinue use.
Performing a skin patch test is a good idea before adding any new skin product to your skin care regimen.
Bio-Oil has been proven to help reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks. Some of its ingredients can also help with the appearance of wrinkles and hyperpigmentation, and possibly in the treatment of acne.
As long as you’re not allergic to its ingredients, Bio-Oil is considered generally safe to use.