We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best weighted blankets: Gravity Weighted Blanket, Degree of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket
- Best oil diffuser: InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser
- Best acupressure mat: Shakti Acupressure Mat
- Best adult coloring book: Adult Coloring Book
- Best purse organizer: Lexsion Felt Purse Bag Organizer
- Best gel mask: FOMI Facial Gel Bead Eye Mask
- Best portable shiatsu massager: Zyllion Shiatsu Back and Neck Massager
- Best sun lamp: Erligpowht Light Therapy Lamp
- Best blue light blocking glasses: Gamma Ray Optics Blue Light Blocking Glasses
We’re living in an age of anxiety. Between the constant hustle and worries, both big and small, there are stressors around every corner.
In fact, around 40 million U.S. adults currently live with an anxiety disorder, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America.
In the age of endless streaming of information and a culture that fosters an attitude of keeping up with the Joneses, getting through the day can be overwhelming, to say the least.
We’re only human, after all. There are only so many hours in the day. But no matter how many times we repeat those mantras, sometimes, it’s not enough to keep anxiety at bay.
That doesn’t mean you have to take a beach vacation or spend money at the spa, though. Instead, check out these more accessible items designed for coping with stress and worry.
Anxiety is the body’s natural response to stress and feels like apprehension or fear about what’s about to happen. Everyone experiences this type of anxiety at different points to one degree or another. However, it’s typically temporary and doesn’t impact people’s lives every day.
However, some people may experience anxiety disorders, such as:
- panic disorder
- generalized anxiety disorder
- social anxiety disorder
- obsessive-compulsive disorder
- separation anxiety disorder
- illness anxiety disorder
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Feelings and symptoms of anxiety
Anxiety feels different to everyone, but common feelings range from familiar fear and worry to butterflies in your stomach or a pounding heart. You could feel out of control, as though your mind and body are disconnected.
Other anxiety symptoms might include:
- panic attacks
- painful, uncontrollable memories or thoughts
- increased heart rate
- rapid breathing
- trouble concentrating
- difficulty falling asleep
If you feel you could be experiencing mild anxiety, consider some simple lifestyle changes to manage it. Most of these changes are centered around healthy activities to take care of your mind and body, including:
- getting enough sleep
- exercising and staying active
- maintaining a healthy diet
- avoiding alcohol and caffeine
- quitting cigarette smoking, if applicable to you
All of these products are backed by personal experience and research on practical methods for anxiety relief, and they rank highly in user reviews online.
- $ = under $45
- $$ = $45–$100
- $$$ = over $100
Best weighted blankets
- Price: $$$
- How it may help with anxiety: Deep pressure stimulation relaxes the nervous system by mimicking the experience of being hugged or held. This helps relieve the perception of pain, improve sleep quality, and relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Weighted blankets are therapeutic blankets that typically weigh between 5 and 30 pounds. They can help to relieve pain, lessen anxiety, and improve mood.
If your sleep is being negatively affected because of anxiety, you may want to try using a weighted blanket.
This blanket comes in 15, 20 and 25-pound weight options. It’s designed for single sleepers who normally sleep cold.
- weight creates a feeling of comfort and security
- easy to clean
- sleep improves dramatically for many users
- too warm for some users
- can’t get cooling cover separately
- might be too heavy for some
- Price: $$$
- How it may help with anxiety: Weighted blankets have been found to help improve sleep quality, which is a common symptom and cause of anxiety.
Having a weighted blanket could help improve your sleep quality.
For those who need multiple options, this blanket comes with two duvet covers: one for hot sleepers and one for cold sleepers. It’s available in a variety of sizes and weights (and prices), from a 6-pound throw to a 30-pound king blanket.
- many found their sleep improved with use
- consistent cozy, comfortable feeling regardless of room temperature
- lighter than other weighted blankets
- quite warm, so not the best for hot sleepers
- a bit on the short side
- some experienced quality issues but great service to address them
Best essential oil diffuser
- Price: $
- How it may help with anxiety: Aromatherapy may help with relaxation, sleep, and mood. It may even reduce blood pressure and heart rate, all of which can reduce anxiety.
You can use essential oils in a number of ways — like diffusing them into the air or applying them to your body with a carrier oil — to create a welcoming, stress-free environment.
Keep in mind, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t monitor or regulate the purity or quality of essential oils. It’s important to talk with a healthcare professional before you begin using essential oils, and be sure to research the quality of a brand’s products.
If you want to try diffusing, this InnoGear essential oil diffuser has a stylish, compact design.
- small & compact
- mist lasts for hours using very little water
- easy to use and clean
- location of plug makes it awkward to handle unit
- air comes out the side instead of the top and blows directly on you
- some find it loud
Best acupressure mat
- Price: $$$
- How it may help with anxiety:
Studieshave shown that acupressure can provide overall anxiety relief.
The Shakti Acupressure Mat simulates acupuncture benefits by stimulating pressure points and creating a deep relaxation state. Made with organic cotton and natural dyes, it’s a great sustainable choice.
- creates deep relaxation and stress/tension relief
- lots of surface area to work with
- may reduce the appearance of cellulite
- takes time to adjust to (some found it painful but most relaxed shortly after)
- not the best customer service
Best adult coloring book
- Price: $
- How it may help with anxiety: Coloring has been shown to keep people present.
Great news! Coloring isn’t just for kids. In fact, coloring may help reduce anxiety in adults.
It’s the practice of coloring itself that’s believed to center you, so it doesn’t really matter which coloring book you choose. However, this adult coloring book has lots of intricate designs and beautiful patterns.
Some reviewers found the pages a little thin, so it might not be the best choice if you prefer using markers.
- easy drawings to color
- repetitive drawings from other coloring books
- pages may be thin for using markers
Best purse organizer
- Price: $
- How it may help with anxiety: Staying organized helps make it quick and easy to find the things you need on a daily basis, to focus and free up your mind.
If your mind is in a million different places, it can be helpful to simplify when and where you can.
If you carry a purse, a purse organizer is an easy way to free up a little brain space and make sure you always know where everything is. This organizer has 13 pockets for complete organization. It comes in four sizes and slips into a wide range of purse brands.
Speaking from personal experience, this product has helped in ways I didn’t think possible. Less time rummaging for my keys or credit cards saves valuable seconds and loads of immediate stress.
- fits well in many purses
- many compartments and pockets
- lightweight yet high quality
- might be loose in some purses
- velcro straps don’t secure too well
Best gel mask
- Price: $
- How it may help with anxiety: Cold and hot therapy provide physical relief from headaches and swelling. Also, the very act of placing a mask on your face, closing your eyes, and sitting back is calming and relaxing.
While a relaxing facial may not always be in the budget, this FOMI Facial Gel Bead Eye Mask is a more affordable alternative. Pop it into the microwave and use it to relax before bed, or even when taking a breather during the day.
You can also freeze the mask and use it to help relieve sinus pressure, muscle pain, and headaches.
Personal tip: You can do this on an even tighter budget by freezing a washcloth and placing it over your eyes. I do this for headaches frequently, and it’s so refreshing.
- highly relaxing
- soft, light cotton makes it comfortable & not too cold
- good quality & long lasting
- a bit small
- some don’t like how the hard plastic feels
- sits a bit uneven/may not adhere well to facial contours
Best portable shiatsu massager
- Price: $$
- How it may help with anxiety: Shiatsu massage is known to relieve stress and anxiety. It also helps promote calmness and emotional and physical relaxation.
Shiatsu massage is the best type of massage for people who want to feel relaxed and relieve stress, pain, and tension. It’s a Japanese style of massage that may help relieve anxiety and depression.
This Zyllion Shiatsu Back and Neck Massager bends to most neck and body contours, as well as the lower and upper back, abdomen, calf, and thigh.
The best part is the 90-day trial window. So, if you don’t like it, you can simply send it back for a full refund.
- helps relieve debilitating muscle pain in days
- quiet and easy to use
- heat or no heat option is super convenient
- sits under upper back which can be uncomfortable for some
- chair strap is a bit short
- shape makes it less than ideal to treat neck pain
Best sun lamp
- Price: $
- How it may help with anxiety: Sun lamps help decrease anxiety and improve the moods of those with seasonal affective disorder.
The lightweight and rotatable Erligpowht Light Therapy Lamp is highly rated on Amazon, with four different time settings and three dimming brightness levels.
It’s compact enough to put in a cubicle and has a simple, neutral design that can blend into most home decor.
Before buying a sun lamp, be sure to speak with your doctor. Look for one with an intensity of 10,000 lux, and be sure not to look directly at the light. Try to use it at the same time every day.
- lifts users’ spirits and makes darkness more bearable
- multiple brightness levels and time intervals
- great price
- user interface is awkward (flat buttons with no delay when turned on)
- plug is delicate (some found in order to work, it can’t be moved)
Best blue light blocking glasses
- Price: $
- How it may help with anxiety: Blue light can disrupt our brain’s natural sleep-wake cycles. Blocking this light contributes to a better night’s sleep, which may reduce anxiety.
We’ve all heard the news that blue light before bed is one of the most common sleep disruptors. While it’s a nice idea to power down a few hours before bed and pull out a book instead, that’s not always possible.
What is possible is reducing the visual strain caused by regular computer and smartphone use. These Gamma Ray Optics glasses were created to block the blue light that could disrupt your sleep patterns and affect your mental health.
- works well at blocking blue light
- fashionable yet functional
- great price
- hard to clean
- doesn’t fit too well with some headsets
- lens length is on the short side (which may work for some)
|Price||Product callouts||How it may help with anxiety|
|Gravity Weighted Blanket||$$$||+ weight creates a feeling of comfort and security|
+ easy to clean
+ sleep improves dramatically for many
– too warm for some & can’t get cooling cover separately
– might be too heavy for some
|Deep pressure stimulation relaxes the nervous system by mimicking the experience of being hugged or held. This helps relieve the perception of pain, improve sleep quality, and relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression.|
|Degree of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket||$$$||+ many found sleep improved with use|
+ consistent cozy, comfortable feeling regardless of room temperature
+ lighter than other weighted blankets
– quite warm & not great for hot sleepers
– on the short side
– some experienced quality issues but great service to address them
|Weighted blankets have been found to help improve sleep quality, which is a common symptom and cause of anxiety.|
|InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser||$||+ small & compact|
+ mist lasts for hours using very little water
+ easy to use & clean
– location of plug makes it awkward to handle unit
– air comes out the side instead of top & blows directly on you
– some find it loud
|Aromatherapy may help with relaxation, sleep, and mood. It may even reduce blood pressure and heart rate, all of which can reduce anxiety.|
|Shakti Acupressure Mat||$$$||+ creates deep relaxation & stress/tension relief|
+ lots of surface area
+ can improve cellulite
– takes time to adjust to (some found it painful but most relaxed shortly after)
– not the best customer service
|Adult Coloring Book||$||+ easy drawings to color|
– repetitive drawings from other books
|Coloring has been shown to keep people present.|
|Lexsion Felt Purse Bag Organizer||$||+ fits well in purses |
+ many compartments & pockets
+ lightweight yet quality
– loose in some purses
– velcro straps don’t secure too well
|Staying organized helps make it quick and easy to find the things you need on a daily basis, to focus and free up your mind.|
|FOMI Facial Gel Bead Eye Mask||$||+ highly relaxing|
+ soft, light cotton makes it comfortable & not too cold
+ good quality & long lasting
– a bit small
– some don’t like the hard plastic feel
– sits uneven/may not adhere well to facial contours
|Cold and hot therapy provide physical relief from headaches and swelling. Also, the very act of placing a mask on your face, closing your eyes, and sitting back is calming and relaxing.|
|Zyllion Shiatsu Back and Neck Massager||$$||+ relieves debilitating muscle pain in days|
+ quiet & easy to use
+ convenient heat or no heat options
– sits under upper back which can be uncomfortable
– chair strap is short
– shape makes neck pain hard to treat
|Shiatsu massage is known to relieve stress and anxiety. It also helps promote calmness and emotional and physical relaxation.|
|Erligpowht Light Therapy Lamp||$||+ lifts spirits and makes darkness more bearable|
+ multiple brightness levels & time intervals
+ great price
– user interface is awkward (flat buttons with no delay when turned on)
– plug is delicate (to work, it can’t be moved)
|Sun lamps help decrease anxiety and improve the moods of those with seasonal affective disorder.|
|Gamma Ray Optics Blue Light Blocking Glasses||$||+ works well at blocking blue light|
+ fashionable yet functional
+ great price
– hard to clean
– don’t fit well with some headsets
– lens length on the short side (which may work for some)
|Blue light can disrupt our brain’s natural sleep-wake cycles. Blocking this light contributes to a better night’s sleep, which may reduce anxiety.|
As you can see, there are many anxiety relief products out there targeted to different types of symptoms. The trick when figuring out how to choose the best products to manage or reduce your anxiety is to ask yourself what’s bothering you. Do you have aches and pains? Perhaps a back massager can bring some relief. Mind won’t stop racing? Try coloring or another activity to zone out and focus on something other than your inner thoughts.
Whatever you’re experiencing, there’s a product out there that may help. And, like with anything else, be sure to factor the item’s reviews, features, price, and return policy into your decision.
What’s the difference between stress and anxiety?
Stress happens from demands on our brain or body caused by an event or activity that makes us worried or nervous.
Anxiety is the same negative feeling and can be a reaction to that stress, but it can also happen to those without any obvious stressors.
What are the symptoms of stress and anxiety?
Some mental and physical symptoms caused by stress and anxiety include:
- fast heartbeat
- muscle tension
- rapid breathing
- trouble concentrating
- irrational anger or irritability
How can I treat stress and anxiety?
There are a number of natural lifestyle remedies for anxiety that involve taking care of your body and sticking to healthy activities, like:
- getting enough sleep
- staying active
- eating healthy
- avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes
However, if you feel you’re coping with more moderate to severe stress or anxiety and natural remedies aren’t helping, contact your doctor to discuss treatment options. Psychotherapy and medication are other avenues you could explore together.
We live in a fast-paced world where we’re absorbing information every single second. It’s not surprising that so many people are actively managing anxiety.
One of the products here might allow you to find that daily dose of peace that you deserve.
Keep in mind that if you’re trying to manage your anxiety through at-home remedies, and they’re not working, it’s always a good idea to check in with a doctor or mental health professional.
Meagan Drillinger is a travel and wellness writer. Her focus is on making the most out of experiential travel while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Her writing has appeared in Thrillist, Men’s Health, Travel Weekly, and Time Out New York, among others. Visit her blog or Instagram.