We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
While Saatva gets the nod for best overall pillow for stomach sleepers, others from trusted brands Downlite, Contour Living, Bluewave Bedding, and others provide great comfort and value.
- Best pillow for stomach and side sleepers: The Saatva Latex Pillow
- Best soft pillows for stomach sleepers: I AM A Stomach Sleeper Pillow
- Best CPAP pillow for stomach sleepers: Contour Living CPAP Pillow 2.0
- Best hypoallergenic pillow for stomach sleepers: Jollyvogue Two-Pack Hypoallergenic Pillows
- Best flat pillow for stomach sleepers: Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
- Best down pillow for stomach sleepers: Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow
- Best cooling pillow: Bluewave Bedding Super-Slim, Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow
- Best body pillow for stomach sleepers: Coop Home Goods Body Pillow
Sleeping on your stomach may help alleviate snoring and sleep apnea. But unless you’re lying facedown, it’s not the best position for spine health. Because you have to keep your neck turned for long periods, stomach sleeping can cause jaw, back, or neck problems over time. It can also cause pain and stiffness when you wake up each day.
Choosing the right pillow for stomach sleeping may help address these concerns. In general, look for a flat pillow so that your head isn’t elevated too high. You could also opt for a cutout pillow that lets you sleep facedown.
Here are 8 options that could help you find relief and comfort.
The pillows on our list come in standard, super standard (or jumbo), queen, or king size. They range from $30 to $145. One is priced as a set of two.
We indicated the price for each pillow using this pricing guide:
- $ = under $50
- $$ = $50–$100
- $$$ = over $100
Here are our picks for the best pillows for sleeping on your stomach.
Best pillow for stomach and side sleepers
The Saatva Latex Pillow
- Price: $$$
- Size: queen, king
- Height: 8 inches
- Considerations: The pillow is filled with latex and has an inner cover and outer layer, but only the outer can be machine washed.
Though this pillow feels very soft, it’s dense and flat enough to accommodate stomach sleeping comfortably. Because of its loft, or height, this pillow might be a good choice if you are a stomach and side combination sleeper.
The fill is made from shredded American Talalay latex and is hypoallergenic. Because the fill is shredded, it helps promote airflow and cool you down.
The latex in this pillow may be an allergen for some people. If you have a latex allergy, this might not be the best option for you.
Best soft pillows for stomach sleepers
I AM A Stomach Sleeper Pillow
- Price: $
- Size: jumbo, king
- Height: 7 inches
- Considerations: The pillow is machine washable and can be fluffed back to shape after.
If you’re craving a soft pillow that isn’t too flat, this might be your most comfortable option. It provides medium-firm support while still cushioning your head and neck.
The fill is polyester fiber, and the cover is 100% cotton.
Best CPAP pillow for stomach sleepers
Contour Living CPAP Pillow 2.0
- Price: $$
- Size: 13.5 x 21 inches
- Height: 5.2 inches, though it’s adjustable
- Considerations: The pillow has removable layers so you can adjust its height and is designed to work with CPAP machines.
Your doctor may recommend that you use a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine for a number of medical conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
A CPAP machine works by pumping air through a tube and into a mask that you wear over your nose and mouth while you sleep. Stomach sleeping can be challenging if you use a CPAP machine. This pillow works with most major mask brands and styles.
One side is a cool mesh designed to allow air to flow through. The other side is soft, hypoallergenic fiberfill. The indentations on this side are meant to leave room for your mask and the hose of your CPAP machine.
The pillow has a concave center and crescent-shaped bottom to accommodate your shoulder when you twist your neck to the side. Plus, its core is infused with charcoal support foam that helps eliminate odors.
Best hypoallergenic pillow for stomach sleepers
Jollyvogue Two-Pack Hypoallergenic Pillows
- Price: $
- Size: standard, queen, king
- Height: adjustable
- Considerations: The pillow is machine washable and dryable, and arrives vacuum sealed, so it will need to be aired out and fluffed once unpacked
These pillows have zippered inner cores, so you can adjust the amount of fill to the height that’s best for you. This makes them suitable for back and side sleepers, as well as stomach sleepers.
The microfiber fill is polyester. It’s also hypoallergenic, which means it’s unlikely to cause an allergic reaction.
Users report that the fill mimics the feel of down. So, if you’re looking for a down alternative, this pillow might be a good choice.
The knitted outer cover is quilted and hypoallergenic.
Best flat pillow for stomach sleepers
Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
- Price: $$
- Size: 16 x 24 inches
- Height: 2.5 inches
- Considerations: The fill is a latex memory foam that’s mildew resistant — but the pillow is not machine washable; only the removable cotton cover can be thrown in the washer.
At 2.5 inches, this is one of the slimmest pillows you’ll find. It has a rounded top and flat bottom. People who’ve used this pillow recommend it for stomach sleepers who like to sleep with their arm under their pillow.
This pillow weighs less than 2 pounds, making it a great choice for traveling and camping trips.
If you have a latex allergy, look for another low profile pillow instead. Read on to learn about Bluewave Bedding’s super-slim option, our pick for cooling pillows.
Best down pillow for stomach sleepers
Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow
- Price: $$$
- Size: standard, queen, king
- Height: 4 inches
- Considerations: This pillow is hypoallergenic and is machine washable and dryable.
This pillow is filled with duck down and compresses so that it’s very flat and dense. Stomach sleepers who have reviewed this pillow rave about how soft and slim it is.
Another bonus: It folds easily without losing its shape.
Down items, including pillows, take particular care steps for washing and drying because of the natural qualities of down feathers. For example, they’ll clump together when wet and have natural oils that help keep structure and loft.
Best cooling pillow
Bluewave Bedding Super-Slim, Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow
- Price: $
- Size: standard
- Height: 3.25 inches
- Considerations: The pillow’s outer covering is removable and washable, and made of a polyester and bamboo-derived rayon blend.
The height of this pillow makes it a flexible option for stomach, side, and back sleepers.
Instead of traditional fill, this pillow is made with foam. The foam is CertiPUR-US certified, which means the inner gel foam has been tested for certain chemicals and for emissions of volatile organic compounds. This pillow doesn’t give off any harmful gasses or produce a chemical smell.
The ventilated gel core provides the “cooling” part of the pillow. It’s designed to wick heat away from your head and neck.
People who have used this pillow note that its covering is soft and comfy.
Best body pillow for stomach sleepers
Coop Home Goods Body Pillow
- Price: $$
- Size: 20 x 54 inches
- Height: adjustable
- Considerations: The pillow’s core is encased in a polyester lining, while its outer cover is polyester and bamboo-derived viscose-rayon.
Stomach sleepers may benefit from sleeping on a body pillow situated under their lower back and pelvis.
This one from Coop Home Goods has a CertiPUR-US certified, gel-infused shredded memory foam core. The gel helps wick away heat, making this pillow a good choice for hot sleepers.
Plus, you can adjust the amount and placement of fill so that it’s thinner near your neck and head and thicker in the middle of the pillow. This can help promote neutral spinal alignment.
Because it’s so adjustable, this pillow is popular with pregnant people, back and side sleepers, and stomach sleepers.
|microdenier fiber with a cotton cover
|I AM A Stomach Sleeper Pillow
|polyester fill with a cotton cover
|Contour Living CPAP Pillow 2.0
|fiber filling and memory foam (one on either side) with a mesh cover
|Jollyvogue Two-Pack Hypoallergenic Pillows
|microfiber cover with a knit cotton cover
|Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
|latex with a cotton cover
|Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow
|duck down with a cotton cover
|Bluewave Bedding Super-Slim, Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow
|foam with a polyester and bamboo-derived rayon blend
|Coop Home Goods Body Pillow
|shredded foam with a bamboo-derived viscose-rayon cover
|washable (if it fits in your machines — if not, the company recommends using a cover)
The pillows we picked for this list are designed to support stomach sleepers and for combination sleepers who move around during the night. We chose these pillows based on:
- Brand reputation: These pillows come from trusted, transparent manufacturers. People who have used them give them high ratings. Read more about our vetting process here.
- The make of the pillow: In choosing these pillow options for stomach sleepers, we looked at each pillow’s construction, materials, price points, and ease of cleaning.
- Budget: We looked at a range of pillows with different prices to make sure that we suggest products for a wide range of budgets.
If you sleep on your stomach, try looking for pillows that:
- Provide medium-firm support: It’s important to choose a pillow that’s relatively flat and doesn’t exceed 3.5 inches in height. For many stomach sleepers, less is more. You may find your most perfect pillow only raises your head around 2 inches.
- Are good quality: No matter your budget, remember that pillows are not meant to last for years. Even the highest quality pillow will eventually start to sag or become stained.
- Can be cleaned easily: You also want to avoid sleeping on an old pillow that has become contaminated with allergens, mold, or dust mites. Using a pillow protector can help prolong the life of your pillow.
- Are nontoxic: Pillows are made from a wide range of fills and coverings. Some may contain chemical toxins you want to avoid. If you’re looking for a more sustainable (“green”) pillow, choose one that’s made from organic or vegan materials. Any pillow that comes with a CertiPUR-US or Greenguard Gold guarantee is toxin-free.
Sleeping on your stomach can put a strain on your back. To reduce stress on your spine, try doing stretches right before bedtime, as well as first thing in the morning. These eight stretches might help your body relax before bed.
Sleeping on your stomach has also been linked to acne breakouts. To avoid this, make sure you completely remove makeup and dirt from your face before sleeping. Some people use a silk pillowcase to help with skincare. It may also help to change your pillowcase more frequently.
How common is stomach sleeping?
According to a
Is sleeping on your stomach bad for you?
Sleeping on your stomach may cause strain in your neck and back. In fact, a small 2016 study shows that stomach sleeping may be the least supportive position for your back.
In addition, stomach sleeping is not recommended for those who are pregnant. This is in part because the extra weight around your midsection puts pressure on the spine.
Do I need a pillow if I sleep on my stomach?
If you sleep on your stomach, some experts recommend using a pillow underneath your pelvis to help with spinal alignment.
To keep from straining your neck, it may be best to avoid pillows underneath your head altogether. But if you do decide to use a pillow, it may be best to use a thinner one.
Stomach sleeping is good for alleviating sleep apnea, but it can be hard on the neck and spine.
The best pillows for stomach sleepers provide medium-firm support and are relatively flat.
Pillows for stomach sleepers come in a wide range of materials and prices.
You can buy a pillow in just about any price range. Some budget-priced pillows are just as good as — or even better than — ones that are very expensive. Price isn’t always an indicator of quality or comfort.