We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Our best overall cold plunge tub honor goes to the aptly named Plunge, while your wallet might love the G Ganen tub. Take a dip into our list of tubs that provide physical and mental recovery.
- Best overall: Plunge | Skip to review
- Best for customer service: Polar Monkeys Inflatable Cold Tub | Skip to review
- Best for one person: Ice Barrel | Skip to review
- Best for small spaces: WEY&FLY Portable Foldable Bathtub | Skip to review
- Best for customizable design: Renu Therapy Cold Stoic | Skip to review
- Best for style and practicality: Odin Ice Bath | Skip to review
- Best for businesses: BlueCube Malibu 56 Cold Plunge | Skip to review
- Best for those on a budget: G Ganen Foldable Ice Bath | Skip to review
- Best for low maintenance: Edge Theory Labs Edge Tub | Skip to review
- Best for easy transport: Tru Grit Inflatable Ice Bath | Skip to review
- Best for sports teams: Mueller Recovery Care Tub | Skip to review
Cold exposure (aka cold water therapy) — the act of fully submerging yourself in freezing water — is believed to be highly beneficial for health, and it’s becoming more popular. In fact, there’s a growing number of cold plunge tubs on the market that you can add to your home.
This means you don’t need to be an athlete or pay for fancy spa treatments to enjoy the benefits.
We’ve rounded up our favorite cold plunge tubs that fit various needs, lifestyles, and budgets.
A note on price
Price ranges with dollar signs are indicated below. One dollar sign means the product is at the lower end of the range, whereas four dollar signs indicate a higher cost.
General list prices for our cold plunge tubs range from $59.99–$28,999.99, though this may vary depending on available discounts and where you shop.
- $ = under $1,000
- $$ = $1,001–$4,999
- $$$ = $5,000-$9,999
- $$$$ = over $10,000
- Item dimensions: 67 x 32.5 x 24 inches (in)
- Price: $$ (financing available)
The Plunge tub cools, filtrates, and sanitizes to provide clean, cold water on demand. You can use it both indoors and outdoors, and installation is easy. The tub comes with an insulated spa cover, cell phone holder, skimmer net, and even a rubber ducky just for fun.
Customer reviews on plunge.com are overwhelmingly positive, with some calling it the best purchase of the year.
- versatile, can be used indoors and outdoors
- easy assembly (help videos included)
- financing is available
- no on/off switch (must be unplugged to power off)
- some experienced quality issues
Required space: 67 x 32.5 x 24 in
Warranty: 1 year
Special features: reaches 39°F (4°C), ozone sanitation, circular filtration, indoor or outdoor use, underwater light
Shipping and returns: free shipping to the lower 48 states. Must inquire about shipping costs to Hawaii, Alaska, and international destinations. Freight forwarding may be available. Can return within 30 days for a full refund
Best for customer service
- Item dimensions: 53.3 x 31.5 x 24 in
- Price: $$
The Polar Monkeys Inflatable Cold Tub is a very convenient option that can be moved and stored easily. The inflatable tub includes a drain valve and inlet and outlet connections, and it comes with a water chiller, filter, pump, hoses, ozone sanitation, and a tub cover.
Customer reviews on the brand’s website are few but glowing, highlighting the stellar customer service.
Polar Monkeys pros
- can be moved or stored easily in less space
- more affordable than others
- can be heated and used as a hot tub
- responsive customer service
Polar Monkeys cons
- accessories are sold separately
- not as durable as others
- processing and shipping can take a while
Required space: total width is about 48 in (tub is 24 in wide and the other parts add 24 in to the width)
Warranty: 1 year
Special features: temperature ranges from 39°F–108°F (4°C–42°C), hand pump included for tub inflation
Shipping and returns: U.S. domestic shipping costs $487, call for international quotes
Best for one person
- Item dimensions: 42 x 31 x 25 in
- Price: $$
The Ice Barrel is a cold therapy tub designed for one person. It’s a simple-to-use, lightweight, and fully functional way to get the benefits of ice baths. The one-person barrel is designed to allow most body types and sizes to sit upright while fully submerged.
Customers rave about the Ice Barrel on the brand’s website and give it 5 stars. One reviewer explains, “It’s definitely the next best thing to having a cold stream or river in your backyard. I’m an extremely active person and use my ice barrel a few times a week for pain management and recovery from skating and working out.”
Ice Barrel pros
- portable and compact
- simple setup and use
- easy-to-use drainage system
Ice Barrel cons
- can’t have multiple people in the tub
- shipping costs extra
- some prefer more space offered by larger tubs
Required space: 42 x 31 x 25 in
Warranty: limited lifetime (for manufacturing defects)
Special features: holds 105 gallons, user-friendly drainage system
Shipping and returns: shipping fees determined at checkout and vary by location. Returns can be made within 30 days of delivery for full refund less a 30% restocking fee
Best for small spaces
- Item dimensions: 29.7 (diameter) x 25.6 in (high)
- Price: $
WEY&FLY’s Portable Foldable Bathtub has a small footprint, making it a great option if you have a tiny space. Super easy and quick to set up, the tub doesn’t require inflation. Its thick, cushioned bottom is not only comfortable, but it retains the temperature longer, too.
Amazon users give this tub 3.7 out of 5 stars based on more than 1,945 ratings, at time of publish. Many comment on the effectiveness of the tub for a bargain price.
- saves space and water
- comfortable, insulated cushioned bottom
- versatile for indoor and outdoor use
- material may tear if not heated before filling with cold water
- takes a while to heat (2 hours)
- can be tough to get in and out of (you may need a stool)
Required space: 29.7 (diameter) x 25.6 in (high)
Warranty: must contact WEY&FLY for information
Special features: made with environmentally friendly, nontoxic PVC, cushioned layer maintains temperature
Shipping and returns: free delivery within the United States, can be returned in original condition for a full refund or replacement within 30 days of receipt
Best for customizable design
- Item dimensions: 40 x 31 x 25 in
- Price: $$$ (financing available)
Renu Therapy’s durable, well-insulated Cold Stoic tub features a fully enclosed body, making it good for both indoor and outdoor use. Unlike other tubs, this one features an enclosure that protects mechanical and electrical parts from the elements. Because the tub is fully sealed and has a high flow, extra energy-efficient chiller, it makes next to zero noise.
Customers are satisfied with the Cold Stoic, as 5-star reviews on the website show. One reviewer notes, “We plunge almost every day! It is so beautiful also and adds to our “spa” room! Not only do we use it, but we basically have a line out our door of our friends who also love it.”
Renu Therapy pros
- covered area protects equipment and components
- clean, modern, customizable design
- insulation keeps cold in, so energy is reduced and machine is quieter
Renu Therapy cons
- on the larger side
- cover may be hard to maneuver for some
Required space: 70 x 35 x 33 in
Warranty: 5 years
Special features: reaches 39°F (4°C), upgraded insulation system, larger tank than others, highly energy efficient chiller, advanced filtration and ozone purification, extra ventilation
Shipping and returns: free curbside delivery within the contiguous United States. Can be returned within 45 days of delivery, subject to shipping costs and 5% restocking fee
Best for style and practicality
- Item dimensions: 47.3 in x 31.5 in x 24 in
- Price: $$$
As the only cedar plug-in ice bath that actually makes its own ice, Odin’s handmade Ice Bath is unique. It’s also simple to use and doesn’t require plumbing — just fill it with water, plug it in, and set the temperature. The unit’s filtration system uses an ozone generator to sanitize and a pleated sediment filter to clean the water and keep it clear.
Customers seem to love the Odin Ice Bath. One says, “The Odin original has been the best asset to not only healing from injuries, recovery and stress resilience. It has greatly helped with my breathing and desensitizing past sternum surgery trauma. I highly recommend the team and the amazing product!“
- low maintenance
- both a plunge and ice tub
- long dispatch lead times (10–12 weeks as of May 2023)
- ultraviolet (UV) sanitation costs extra
Required space: 51.2 × 49.2 × 28 in
Warranty: 5 years for cosmetic components, 3 years for working components
Special features: reaches 32ºF (0°C), pump and filter always running, ozone generator for sanitizing, reusable filter
Shipping and returns: air shipping is included to the United States, must inquire about all other locations
Best for businesses
- Item dimensions: 66 x 24 x 22 in
- Price: $$$$ (financing available)
If you’re seeking a quality, commercial-grade cold plunge tub for your home or business, this model from BlueCube is worth exploring. Featuring a powerful chilling motor, the self-contained stainless steel tub provides up to 75 continuous ice baths and is easy to maintain.
Customers rave about the tub on the BlueCube website. One business owner comments, “Our customers look forward to Saturday morning plunges in our BlueCube. We can run 13 people back to back no problem.”
- highly energy efficient
- low maintenance
- self-contained (cooling tech is hidden)
- significant investment
- long lead times (built to order)
- large size may not fit or suit your space
Required space: 72.5 x 48.5 x 28.5 in
Warranty: 18 months (5 years for spa cover)
Special features: 1 horsepower chilling motor, full-size 66-in stainless steel tub, ranges from 37°–60°F (3–16°C)
Shipping and returns: can return within 30 days for full refund, less 10% restocking fee plus return shipping cost
Best for those on a budget
- Item dimensions: 24 x 5 x 4 in
- Price: $
This portable, light indoor and outdoor tub is a great option for people with small spaces, yet it still fits two people. The triple-layered waterproof material is durable and easy to clean.
Amazon customers give this tub 4.3 out of 5 stars and are satisfied with its combination of affordability and utility.
G Ganen pros
- versatile for indoor and outdoor use
- comfortable arm and neck rests
G Ganen cons
- must warm up the tub before using
- chemical odor can take time to wear off
- can be tricky to get in and out
Required space: 24 x 5 x 4 in
Warranty: must contact G Ganen for information
Special features: environmental protective PVC and mesh layers, arm and neck rests
Shipping and returns: can return within 30 days, according to Amazon’s policy
Best for low maintenance
- Item dimensions: 45.5 x 25.5 x 24.125 in
- Price: $$ (financing available)
The Edge Theory Labs Edge Tub is made with advanced filtration and sanitation system to keep the water clean and ready for your plunge. Inflatable yet sturdy, it’s designed to be used in a fixed spot or as a portable tub for different places.
While the tub does take care of the water maintenance for you, some may feel that the trade-off may be with the actual setup and breakdown of the tub. Still, the brand’s website shows several 5-star reviews from customers, highlighting the overall ease of use and great customer service.
Edge Theory Labs pros
- lightweight, easy-to-handle chiller on wheels
- self-cleaning — no need to constantly change water
Edge Theory Labs cons
- takes time to manually set up and take down
- videos or documentation are lacking for some
- some had issues with stated versus actual shipping time frames
Required space: 47 x 26 x 25 in
Warranty: 1-year manufacturer warranty included, 3-year extended protection plan available
Special features: 0.8 horsepower motor, cools to 37°F (3°C) within 5 hours, backpack for easy transport
Shipping and returns: free shipping to all lower 48 states, will ship to Canada and Mexico for a fee. Can return within 30 days for full refund less shipping costs
Best for easy transport
- Item dimensions: 60 x 30 x 24 in
- Price: $
The Tru Grit Inflatable Ice Bath is easy to take with you anywhere, thanks to its handy PVC shell that rolls up into its own backpack. It’s also easy to fill up and empty out, with specific ports designed to work with most garden hoses.
Customers on the brand’s website give the ice bath 4.7 out of 5 stars, saying it’s great for trips. One customer says, “This is my first dedicated ice plunge and I’m thrilled with how well it keeps the water cold. It folds up nice and comes with a convenient carrying case and pump.”
Tru Grit pros
- quick to inflate (2–5 minutes) and deflate (2 minutes)
- lightweight at 38 pounds
- less expensive than other similar products
Tru Grit cons
- shipping not included
- some had issues with the cover
- lettering can wear off
Required space: 60 x 30 x 24 in (floor mat is 80 x 40 in)
Warranty: must contact True Grit for information
Special features: cover, floor mat, double-action pump, backpack, repair kit
Shipping and returns: shipping varies by location and is calculated at checkout. Can return within 30 days for refund
Best for sports teams
- Item dimensions: 60 (diameter) x 27.5 in (deep)
- Price: $
This inflatable ice bath from Mueller is great to use both at home or on the go, whether you’re nursing an athletic injury or simply need to relax and unwind.
Therapists who specialize in athletic recovery endorse this tub as an easy choice for sports teams on the go or an athlete who needs treatment.
- easy to set up and take down
- can tear (but easy to repair)
- on the small side
- takes time to set up and fill
Required space: 60 (diameter) x 27.5 in (deep)
Warranty: must contact Mueller for information
Special features: rechargeable air pump (with adapters), mesh carry bag, puncture repair kit
Shipping and returns: shipping within the United States is included. Returns can be made on defective or incorrect items, though you must contact Mueller for authorization
|Price||Features||Required space||Pros||Cons||Shipping & returns||Warranty|
|Plunge||$$||– reaches 39°F (4°C)|
– ozone sanitation
– circular filtration
– indoor/outdoor use
– underwater light
|67 x 32.5 x 24 in||– versatile|
– indoor/ outdoor use
– easy assembly
– financing available
|– must be unplugged to power off|
– some experienced quality issues
|– free shipping to the lower 48 states|
– can return within 30 days for a full refund
|Polar Monkeys Inflatable Cold Tub||$$||– temps range from 39-108°F (4–42°C)|
– hand pump included for tub inflation
|about 48 in wide||– move or store easily|
– can double as a hot tub
– responsive customer service
|-accessories sold separately|
– not as durable as others
– long processing & shipping times
|U.S. domestic shipping: $487||1 year|
|Ice Barrel||$$||– holds 105 gallons|
– user-friendly drainage system
|42 x 31 x 25 in||– portable & compact|
– easy setup & use
– easy-to-use drainage system
|– 1-person tub|
– shipping costs extra
|– shipping fees vary by location|
– returns within 30 days of delivery for full refund less 30% restocking fee
|WEY&FLY Portable Foldable Bathtub||$||– made with environmentally friendly, nontoxic PVC|
– cushioned layer maintains temperature
|29.7 (diameter) x 25.6 in (high)||– inexpensive|
– saves space & water
– comfortable, insulated cushioned bottom
– indoor/ outdoor use
|– can tear if not heated before filling|
– takes 2 hours to heat
– can be tough to get in & out of
|– free delivery within the U.S.|
– returns in original condition for full refund or replacement within 30 days of receipt
|Renu Therapy Cold Stoic||$$$||– reaches 39°F (4°C)|
– upgraded insulation system
– large tank
– highly energy efficient chiller
– advanced filtration & ozone purification – extra ventilation
|70 x 35 x 33 in||– covered protective area|
– modern, customizable design
– cover can be hard to maneuver
|– free curbside delivery within the contiguous U.S.|
– returns within 45 days of delivery, subject to shipping costs & 5% restocking fee
|Odin Ice Bath||$$$||– reaches 32ºF (0°C)|
– pump & filter always running
– ozone generator for sanitizing – reusable filter
|51.2 × 49.2 × 28 in||– low maintenance|
– both a plunge & ice tub
– handmade design
|– long lead times|
– UV sanitation not included
|air shipping to the U.S. included||– 5 years (cosmetic)|
– 3 years (working)
|BlueCube Malibu 56 Cold Plunge||$$$$||– 1 horsepower chilling motor|
– 66-in stainless steel tub
– ranges from 37–60°F (3–16°C)
|72.5 x 48.5 x 28.5 in||– highly energy efficient|
– low maintenance
|– large investment|
– long lead times
– quite large
|returns within 30 days for full refund, less 10% restocking fee & return shipping cost||18 months|
|G Ganen Foldable Ice Bath||$||– environmental protective PVC & mesh layers|
– easy-to-use air hole
– neck & arm rests
|24 x 5 x 4 in||– compact|
– indoor/ outdoor use
– comfortable rests
|– must warm up before using|
– chemical odor lingers
– can be tricky to get in & out of
|returns within 30 days according to Amazon’s policy||contact manufacturer|
|Edge Theory Labs Edge Tub||$$||– 0.8 horsepower motor|
– cools to 37°F (3°C) within 5 hours
– backpack for easy transport
|47 x 26 x 25 in||– portable|
– easy-to-handle chiller on wheels
|– manual set up & takedown takes time|
– videos or documentation are lacking for some
– some had issues with stated vs. actual shipping times
|– free shipping to lower 48 states|
– returns within 30 days for full refund less shipping costs
|Tru Grit Inflatable Ice Bath||$||– cover|
– floor mat
– double-action pump
– repair kit
|60 x 30 x 24 in||– quick to inflate & deflate|
– less expensive than others
|– shipping not included|
– some had issues with cover
– lettering can wear off
|– shipping varies by location & is calculated at checkout|
– returns within 30 days for refund
|Mueller Recovery Care Tub||$||– rechargeable air pump (with adapters)|
– mesh carry bag
– puncture repair kit
|60 (diameter) x 27.5 in (deep)||– portable|
– easy setup & takedown
|– can tear|
– takes time to set up & fill
|– shipping within the U.S. included|
– returns on defective or incorrect items (must get authorization)
When selecting our favorite cold tubs, we focused on the following criteria:
- Versatility: To offer the most value, we looked for tubs that could be used both indoors and outdoors and could be transported to different locations.
- Customer feedback: User experience is important and, while everyone is different, it can be very helpful to know that a product is generally favored by those who have tried it. These products have mostly favorable reviews.
- Size: We looked for tubs in a variety of sizes to suit spaces both small and large.
- Price range: The tubs range in size to suit different budgets.
- Expert vetting: Each of these products has been vetted to ensure that they align with Healthline’s brand integrity standards and approach to well-being. You can read more about our vetting process.
For example, cold tub therapy can reduce muscle soreness. Your blood vessels constrict in cold water, which reduces blood flow to, say, an injured area you’re targeting, and reduces swelling and inflammation.
Cold tub therapy can also cool you down fast. Your body temperature lowers much quicker from cold tub therapy than it does from simply being in a cool environment.
Though little research supports it, some experts claim it also helped improve circulation, sleep, and energy levels.
You’ll find a wide variance in cold plunge tubs, but there are some key considerations to make when shopping, no matter what your needs and preferences are:
- Purpose: Whether you’re a serious athlete looking to recover from sore muscles, you’re just wanting a new way to relax, or you’re somewhere in between, be sure to keep your purpose in mind. Ask yourself if indoor or outdoor use or both is important to you, too. Different cold plunge tubs are designed for different uses.
- Size: Cold plunge tubs typically take up a fair amount of room, though there are a few smaller options. Be sure you’re shopping for what will actually fit your space.
- Price: Cold plunge tubs run from about $60 to $30,000 or even more. Be sure you’re looking at models that are comfortably within your budget. Also, don’t forget to work in any additional maintenance costs involved with a particular unit — including increases in your electric bill.
- Warranties: Nothing is foolproof, even the highest quality tubs. Especially for high ticket items, a manufacturer should stand behind their product with a decent warranty.
- Customer reviews: If you haven’t already tried a tub yourself or you don’t know anyone who owns one, read several customer reviews. Pay particular attention to any trends that you see, whether negative or positive. You’ll get great insight into a tub’s design, functionality, durability, and ease of use.
What are cold tubs used for?
Cold tubs are often used to reduce swelling and inflammation that leads to muscle pain post-workout. Our blood vessels constrict in the cold. If you’re nursing an injury or your muscles are sore, this constriction reduces blood flow to the area and eases pain caused by inflammation.
How often should you drain your cold tub?
How often you should change your cold tub’s water depends on the tub itself and the manufacturer’s instructions. Be sure to read the information that comes with your tub or contact them if needed.
It can range from every few weeks to every few months or so. Generally, if you treat the water in your cold tub, you shouldn’t need to change the water as often.
How do you keep a cold tub clean?
Use a cover to help your cold plunge tub stay clean. The cover will help keep debris and dirt out of the water, maintain the water temperature, and reduce evaporation.
How long should you stay in a cold tub?
As your body acclimates to the cold temperatures, you can work your way up to longer soaks — starting out with 2–5 minutes.
Up to 5 minutes is often all that people need, but you can increase it from there. Just don’t exceed 15–20 minutes at a time. Any more than that may lead to frostbite.
What should you look for when shopping for cold tubs?
Think about your needs, space, and budget when shopping around for cold plunge tubs. Many are designed for different purposes, come in various sizes, and accommodate many budgets.
Positive customer reviews and sufficient warranty coverage and length can be important factors in your decision, too.
Cold plunge tubs can help relieve muscle soreness after tough workouts and cool you down quickly. You’ll find a wide variety of options available, including inflatables, indoor and outdoor tubs, and compact tubs for individuals.
The great thing is prices vary widely, so you’re sure to find something in your budget that suits your needs.