We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Dry flaky lips are no fun but luckily they’re easy to fix with products that you already own. Most lip scrubs simply contain a mixture of sugar and oil that you can buff gently over your lips to remove skin flakes, preventing further cracking and giving you a smooth canvas for lipstick or gloss.
Vaseline is a fantastic option to use in a DIY lip scrub. It’s thick so it makes the scrub easy to handle, plus it’s perfect for sealing water into thin lip skin. If you prefer a more natural option, you can use coconut oil instead of Vaseline.
- Dip a cotton swab into Vaseline until it’s coated in a thin layer.
- Dip the same cotton swab into sugar that you’ve poured out into a shallow dish. Fine-grained caster sugar works best.
- Wet your lips with a little water to soften any dry skin.
- Rub the cotton swab gently over your lips in small circles.
- Wipe off any excess product with a clean tissue.
- Follow up with a lip balm or lipstick.
Internet favorites for lip hydration
- It might seem odd, but the lanolin in Lansinoh Lanolin Nipplecreams is a superstar ingredient.
- Rosebud Salve has been a cult classic since 1892.
- Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask might be a pricier option, but it’s pulled through for others when nothing else worked.
If you have an extra 10 minutes, you might want to try a lip mask for extra hydration:
- Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask is a classic that’ll give your lips a glossy sheen worthy of a magazine cover.
- For overnight healing, try Aritaum’s Ginger Sugar Overnight Lip Mask. This soothing mask is a must-have for many and has saved more lips than any lip balm!
Michelle explains the science behind beauty products at Lab Muffin Beauty Science. She has a PhD in synthetic medicinal chemistry. You can follow her for science-based beauty tips on Instagram and Facebook.