While logging off and sleeping until they disappear would be ideal, it’s just not possible. But here’s the next best thing for perking up those tired eyes: A 30-second eye massage to get rid of puffy, dark circles.
The 30-second beauty routine
Based on the theory of lymph drainage for eye bags, here’s what you can do for your eyes:
- Using gentle tapping motions with your index and middle fingers (no tugging or dragging), tap out a circle around your eyes. Tapping brings blood flow to the area.
- Go outward along your eyebrows, then inward along the top of your cheekbones toward the bridge of your nose. Circle your eyes three times.
- Then with your middle fingers, press firmly upward at the pressure points just under the brow bone on either side of your nose where your brows should start.
- Then press firmly inward toward your nose, above the bridge, next to your tear ducts.
- Massage your temples with your index and middle fingers to finish.
The great thing about this tapping massage is that you can do it at any time of the day without messing up your makeup too much. Make sure you don’t drag your fingers along the delicate skin near your eyes to avoid damaging it.
For an extra relaxing experience, do this with some cold eye cream.
Michelle explains the science behind beauty products at Lab Muffin Beauty Science. She has a PhD in synthetic medicinal chemistry. You can follow her for science-based beauty tips on Instagram and Facebook.