Maintaining independence is important as we grow older. But in the United States alone, about
That’s where medical alert systems come in. They’re designed to connect seniors with assistance from those in their care circle, or with emergency personnel in the event of a fall or accident. These systems come in all shapes in sizes, including wearables and in-home options.
Aloe Care Health is a relatively new medical alert system. The company launched in 2022 with an innovative approach to traditional medical alerts that includes voice activation, two-way speakers, and sensors that can detect falls and monitor indoor air quality.
If you’re exploring medical alert systems, here’s what to know about Aloe Care Health.
Aloe Care Health brings a modern twist to the traditional medical alert system. It pairs a base station — which Aloe Care calls the Smart Hub — with motion sensors and air quality monitors. The Smart Hub connects to a monitoring center that’s staffed around the clock. It even shares the voice-activation features of smart technology like Alexa or Google Home.
For older adults with a care circle, Aloe Care Health may be a particularly convenient alert system. All subscriptions to Aloe Care come with an app that allows caregivers to talk through the Smart Hub, which means access to real-time updates on their loved one’s condition. Aloe Care products are only available through the company’s website at this time.
Aloe Care Health offers four subscriptions that vary in price, from $29.99 per month to $49.99 per month. The technology included in your package varies by subscription, and one-time hardware costs are between $149.99 and $349.99 depending on the plan purchased.
Let’s take a look at the products that make up the Aloe Care Health medical alert system.
The Smart Hub
The Aloe Care medical alert system works mainly via its Smart Hub. No Wi-Fi is required, and it has a plug-and-play setup, along with an integrated backup battery. It’s also voice activated — in the event of an emergency, people can say “emergency” several times in a row, which will automatically connect them to the monitoring center for assistance.
The Smart Hub has two-way speakers, which means you can speak directly to a team member from the monitoring center or a caregiver. One downside, however, is that voice activation is limited to about a 10-foot range from the Smart Hub.
The Smart Hub is designed for ease of use, with a large center button that connects to the monitoring center and doubles as a motion-sensor night light. Two buttons indicate “yes” and “no,” making it easy to respond to questions from both caregivers and emergency personnel. Two other buttons request check-ins, one from a designated primary caregiver and the other from anyone who has been added to a caregiver circle.
A standout feature of the Smart Hub is the included air quality monitoring. It also scans for movement patterns and inactivity, power outages, and a home’s temperature. If dangerous air quality, unusual movement patterns, or power outages are detected, the Smart Hub automatically notifies caregivers and emergency personnel.
The Care Button
Each Smart Hub is accompanied by what the company calls a Care Button. It’s a wearable, water-resistant help button with a range of about 200 ft. It doesn’t have a two-way speaker, but it can be pressed to connect the wearer to the monitoring center in the event of an emergency.
The Mobile Companion
For a more high-tech wearable, Aloe offers the Mobile Companion. It uses AT&T cellular service, so it can be worn outside of the home, and has a two-way speaker and GPS tracking.
- plug-and-play design for simple setup
- emergency help can be requested and easily canceled through voice activation or on the Smart Hub
- reasonable monthly fee
- motion, temperature, air quality, and power outage sensors
- free caregiver app included
- limited range from base system
- slightly slower response time than the industry average
- pricey equipment fee
We looked carefully at the Aloe Care Health website as well as third-party websites to write this review. Here’s what we kept in mind.
- Ease of use: Simplicity can be important when it comes to products for seniors. We researched whether this medical alert system was designed to be easy to use, even for older adults who may find technology intimidating or off-putting.
- Price point: Many seniors live on fixed income, which makes a reasonable price point important. We checked that Aloe Care Health had a range of prices to suit multiple budgets.
- Customer reviews: Marketing copy is one thing, but feedback from real customers is another. We read through customer reviews (both on and off the Aloe Care Health website) to get a sense of what people like and don’t like about this system.
- Response time: One of the most important features of a medical alert system is how quickly assistance can be accessed. According to multiple personal reviews, the response time for Aloe Care Health is well under 1 minute.
- Trial period: The best way to test out a system like this is in your day-to-day life, so we confirmed that Aloe Care offers a home trial. At 30 days, it should be enough time to see whether this system will work in your home.
Aloe Care Essentials
- Hardware price: $149.99
- Monthly membership price: $29.99
- Additional benefits: no Wi-Fi required, plug-and-play setup, integrated backup battery, 24/7 emergency call center, includes Care Button
The Essentials plan includes the Smart Hub with its motion-activated nightlight and built-in motion, temperature, and air quality sensors. It also comes with one Care Button and the caregiver app for unlimited users.
Aloe Care Mobile Companion Go
- Hardware price: $99.99
- Monthly membership price: $29.99
- Additional benefits: 24/7 emergency call center, wearable fall detection, two-way conversations
The Mobile Companion Go comes with fall detection at no extra cost. It can be worn to ensure two-way conversations and includes emergency response. The caregiver app is included as are nationwide location updates. It is separate from the Essentials package, but included in the Essentials Plus and Total Care packages.
Aloe Care Essentials Plus
- Hardware price: $249.99
- Monthly membership price: $39.99
- Additional benefits: all the features of the Essentials plan, plus the Mobile Companion Go
This plan combines all the benefits of the Essentials plan with the Mobile Companion. It’s a good option for people who will benefit from this sort of care both inside and outside the home.
Aloe Care Total Care
- Hardware price: $349.99
- Monthly membership price: $49.99
- Additional benefits: all the features of Essentials Plus, as well as additional fall detection and motion sensors
This plan is the most comprehensive and includes automatic fall detection with voice recognition for the bathroom, one of the most common places for accidents to occur. It uses radio waves to detect whether someone is on the floor and immobile. Emergency personnel will be notified if someone isn’t moving within 2 minutes. The Care Button doesn’t need to be worn or even activated for this feature to work. Aloe Care Total Care also comes with additional motion sensors for additional home coverage.
- The Smart Hub is voice activated, so people within range can connect to both the 24/7 emergency response center vocally or by pushing its help button. Calls with family and friends are also possible from the Hub.
- The Care Button is a single-button wearable that’s worn like a necklace. Keep in mind, it doesn’t have a two-way speaker. Instead, the button is pushed in the event of an emergency, which contacts the monitoring center so that assistance can be dispatched.
- The Smart Fall Sensor is a wall-mounted device that comes with the Total Care plan. It’s intended for use in the bathroom, where it uses radio waves to detect whether someone is on the floor and not moving. The Sensor will request that someone stand up if they’ve fallen and will contact the monitoring center if it doesn’t detect movement within two minutes.
- The Mobile Companion is also worn around the neck. It includes a two-way speaker as well as GPS tracking. Plus, it can be worn in the shower.
At this time, Aloe Care Health products can only be purchased on the Aloe Care website. You’ll simply choose the plan you want and check out. You’ll have 30 days to test out your equipment with the company’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
All hardware costs for Aloe Care products are one-time fees paid at time of purchase. Mobile Companion has the least expensive hardware cost at $99.99. The Total Care plan is the most expensive at $349.99.
Monthly costs for both the Essentials and the Mobile Companion plans are the same at $29.99, but you’ll benefit from the Smart Hub if you opt for the first plan. However, you’ll spend an extra $50 for the initial hardware.
Older adults with active lifestyles who will benefit from a medical alert system inside and outside the home should consider the Essentials Plus plan. It’s $39.99 per month, with a one-time hardware cost of $249.99.
For the most comprehensive medical alert system, including extra motion sensors to cover more of the home and the automatic fall detection in the bathroom, you’ll want the Total Care package. It’s $49.99 per month, with a $349.99 one-time hardware cost.
Aloe Care Health is a new to the medical alert system market, and doesn’t appear to have garnered enough online reviews to have an established reputation quite yet. At this time, Aloe Care Health isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It has no reviews at the BBB or on Trustpilot.
Customer feedback on and off the Aloe Care Health website is limited, but mostly positive. There are only 12 Google reviews so far, and all are five stars except for one. While some reviewers praise Aloe Care Health for its customer service, ease of use, and specific features like voice activation, at least one user reported a very negative experience.
There is no contract to use Aloe Care Health products, which means users can cancel at any time without termination fees. To cancel service, Aloe Care requires written notification 30 days in advance to avoid being charged for a new month.
The company doesn’t offer a warranty but rather a service contract. The equipment service plan covers repairs or replacements on defective equipment for existing subscribers in good standing. However, equipment must be returned in good condition, minus normal wear and tear.
The Aloe Care Health medical alert system is a good choice for seniors who want to continue living alone but enjoy the peace of mind that comes with connectivity. Because there are several plans that include a connected wearable, additional motion sensors, and a wall-mounted device for detecting falls in the bathroom, it is a reasonable option for a fairly wide range of older adults.
The accompanying app with its options for unlimited caregivers is useful for coordinating care, which is a nice bonus.
The Smart Hub has a limited range, which means it likely won’t be accessible to people from every room in their home, so that’s something to keep in mind in larger spaces. The included Care Button, which is a sort of backup that works when people are out of range of the Smart Hub, should be worn consistently, which could be an issue for some older adults. Plus, it lacks fall detection.
If that’s a priority, there are other comparably-priced wearables with this feature. Otherwise, upgrading to the Total Care package gives seniors accessibility and monitoring inside and outside the home.
Keep in mind
Aloe Care products are not a substitute for emergency services.
In the event of a physical or mental health emergency call 911.
|Specifications||Aloe Care Health||Medical Guardian||Medical Care Alert Home & Away Ultra|
|Price range||$99.99-$349.99 for initial hardware||$29.94-$34.95 per month||$39.94|
|Smartphone app required?||yes||yes||yes|
|Battery life||up to 5 days||3-5 days||up to 3 days|
|Rechargeable or replaceable Batteries?||rechargeable||rechargeable||rechargeable|
|Response time||under 1 minute||under 30 seconds||under 30 seconds|
|Emergency shut off||no||no||no|
|Subscription price||$29.99-$49.99||$29.94-$34.95||$104.85 per quarter|
|Fall detection||included in some plans||yes||included as an upgrade|
|Warranty||no warranty offered||1 year||lifetime replacement warranty|
|Trial period||30 days||none offered||14 days|
Does Aloe Care offer payment plans?
Aloe Care has four plans with monthly fees ranging from $29.99 to $49.99. There are no payment plans offered for hardware costs.
Is there a set-up fee?
Yes, all Aloe Care Health plans have a set-up fee. It’s a one-time fee that covers the cost of the equipment included per plan and varies between $99.99 and $349.99.
Does Aloe Care accept insurance?
Aloe Care partners with some insurance companies, including Brand New Day, Bright Health, Central Health, and some Aetna plans. However, you’ll need to check with your insurance provider to see if your plan includes these services.
Can you change or cancel your Aloe Care subscription?
To cancel service, Aloe Care requires written notification 30 days in advance to avoid being charged for a new month. If you’d like to change your subscription, you’ll need to contact customer service directly.
Can I accidentally set my Aloe Care off?
Yes, but it’s unlikely. And if you do, it should be easily remedied. To cancel activated directly on the Smart Hub or via the Care Button, just say “cancel” or press the “X” button on the Smart Hub. If you can’t do so quickly enough, you can tell the call center that you’re canceling the call once they contact you.
Is Aloe Care better than Life Alert? How?
Aloe Care is a more comprehensive system that includes voice activation and motion sensors in addition to the standard help button. While Life Alert is limited to a help button as a wearable, in the shower, or elsewhere in the home, the medical alert system from Aloe Care offers additional features and benefits, including the caregiver app.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),
While initial equipment fees are pricey compared to other systems, the Smart Hub and the caregiver app make this a good choice for independent seniors and their caregivers.
If you’re interested in trying Aloe Care, you can get started here.