Usually, bee stings don’t cause a serious reaction. However, if you’re allergic to bee stings or have had several bee stings, you may experience a severe reaction such as anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis to a bee sting requires immediate medical attention.
Mild, local symptoms of a bee sting include:
- pain or itching at the site of the sting
- a white spot where the stinger punctured the skin
- redness and slight swelling around the sting
Severe (allergic) systemic symptoms of a bee sting include:
Certain people are at a higher risk for bee sting allergy than others. Risk factors include:
- living in an area near active beehives
- living in an area where bees are actively pollinating plants
- spending lots of time outside
- having had a previous allergic reaction to a bee sting
- taking certain medications, such as beta-blockers
Adults are more likely to have serious reactions to bee stings than children.
If you have a known allergy to bee, wasp, or yellow jacket venom, you should carry a bee sting kit with you when you’re spending time outdoors.
This contains a medication called epinephrine, which treats anaphylaxis — a severe allergic reaction that could make breathing difficult.
Most people who’ve been stung by a bee don’t require medical attention. You should monitor any minor symptoms, such as mild swelling and itching. If those symptoms don’t go away in a few days or if you begin to experience more severe symptoms, call your doctor.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of anaphylaxis, such as trouble breathing or difficulty swallowing, call 911. You should also seek medical help if you have a known allergy to bee stings or if you have had multiple bee stings.
When you call 911, the operator will ask for your age, weight, and symptoms. It’s also helpful to know the type of insect that stung you and when the sting occurred.
Treatment for a bee sting involves removing the stinger and caring for any symptoms. Treatment techniques include:
- removing the stinger using a credit card or tweezers (avoid squeezing
the attached venom sac)
- cleaning the area with soap and water
- applying ice to ease pain and swelling
- applying creams, such as hydrocortisone, which will reduce redness and
- taking an antihistamine, such as Benadryl, for any itching and
If someone you know is experiencing an allergic reaction, immediately call 911. While waiting for paramedics to arrive, you can do the following:
- Check the person’s airways and breathing. Begin CPR, if necessary.
- Reassure the person that help is coming.
- Remove constricting clothing and any jewelry in case of swelling.
- Administer epinephrine if the person has a bee sting emergency kit.
- Roll the person into the shock position if symptoms of shock are
present. This involves rolling the person onto their back and raising their
legs 12 inches above their body.
- Keep the person warm and comfortable.
If you need to go to the hospital for bee sting allergy, a healthcare professional will monitor your vital signs, including:
- your pulse
- breathing rate
- blood pressure
You’ll be given medication like epinephrine or adrenaline to treat the allergic reaction. Other emergency treatment for bee sting allergy includes:
- oxygen to help you breathe
- antihistamines and corticosteroids to control inflammation
- beta antagonists to ease breathing problems
- CPR if your heart stops beating or you stop breathing
If you’ve had an allergic reaction to a bee sting, your doctor will prescribe you an epinephrine auto-injector such as EpiPen. This should be carried with you at all times and is used to treat anaphylactic reactions.
This therapy consists of receiving several shots over a period of time that contain a very small amount of bee venom. This can help reduce or eliminate your allergic reaction to bee stings.
To avoid bee stings:
- Don’t swat at insects.
- Have any hives or nests around your home removed.
- Avoid wearing perfume outdoors.
- Avoid wearing brightly colored or floral print clothing outside.
- Wear protective clothing, such as long-sleeved shirts and gloves, when
spending time outdoors.
- Walk calmly away from any bees you see.
- Be careful when eating or drinking outside.
- Keep any outside trash covered.
- Keep your windows rolled up when driving.
If you’re allergic to bee venom, you should always carry epinephrine with you and wear a medical ID bracelet. Ensure that your friends, family members and co-workers know how to use an epinephrine auto-injector.