Alcohol addiction support groups

People who are in treatment for alcoholism often need additional support to help them overcome their addiction. So do the family members and close friends who are trying to help them.

Support groups and alcohol dependency recovery organizations can be an essential part of the journey. These groups can help people in recovery avoid relapses, deal with the challenges of getting sober, and provide support to family members and friends.

Read more about some of the groups dedicated to helping people accomplish these goals.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a support group that helps people recover from alcohol dependency. It offers group sessions, and what is often termed as a “sober support” network.

Some people who attend AA will actively seek out another group member, or sponsor, who has generally been sober for an extended period of time. A sponsor can help provide additional support to someone struggling with alcohol addiction.

Sponsors can also provide encouragement and promote accountability. They often help with what is known as “step work” in which a person works through the 12 steps of AA in order to achieve and maintain sobriety.

Find a chapter of AA near you by asking your local hospital’s healthcare outreach office for information. You can also visit the AA website or call 212-870-3400.

Al-Anon is a support network for people affected by someone else’s alcohol abuse. You can use this group to connect with other people facing similar challenges.

Together, you can gain a greater understanding of how to help your loved one face their addiction. Al-Anon can also help you cope with the effects that a loved one’s alcoholism can have on you.

A local chapter of AA can help you connect with an Al-Anon group. You can also ask your local hospital’s healthcare outreach office for more information, visit the Al-Anon website, or call 888-425-2666.

Alateen is a support group for the children of parents with alcohol abuse problems. This group provides the opportunity to share personal experiences. Less focus is put on receiving lessons or instructions.

Alateen can help you connect with other young people facing similar challenges. It can help you find support and get more comfortable reaching out for help.

Visit the Alateen section of the Al-Anon website for more information. You can also call 888-425-2666.

If you have an alcohol dependence problem, NCADD can direct you to healthcare professionals. It can also connect you with other people coping with similar problems.

If you have a family member or friend with an alcohol dependence problem, NCADD offers services that can help you prepare an intervention. And they can help you find appropriate treatment for your loved one.

NCADD can also connect you with other individuals in similar positions. You can ask questions, share information, and help each other learn to cope.

Visit the NCADD website to find local affiliates, or call 800-622-2255.

NACoA provides training and education for clergy, teachers, doctors, and social workers. The association offers instruction on how to support children with alcohol-dependent parents. NACoA doesn’t provide direct assistance to children in the form of support groups or therapy. However, it can help them connect to organizations that do.

To learn more, visit the NACoA website or call 888-554-2627.

The NIAAA offers free pamphlets and publications to help addicts, family members, and healthcare professionals learn how to address alcohol abuse and alcoholism.

Visit the NIAAA website or call 301-443-3860.

Drinking too much alcohol can cause many problems. It can impair your judgment and your ability to make decisions. It can raise your risk of accidental injury, relationship problems, and issues at school or work. It can also raise your risk of many health conditions, such as:

  • liver disease
  • high blood pressure
  • heart attack
  • stroke
  • cancer

If you or someone you love has an alcohol abuse problem, it’s important to get help. There are many organizations that offer information and support.

Ask your doctor or your local hospital’s healthcare outreach office for more information. You can also connect with many organizations online or by phone.