We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Healthline only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
- Best adjustable-height body pillow: Coop Home Goods Body Pillow
- Best C-shaped body pillow: PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow with Jersey Cover, C Shaped
- Best U-shaped body pillow: Leachco Back ‘n Belly Chic Pillow
- Best wool-blend body pillow: Savvy Rest Wool-Latex Body Pillow
- Best multi-position bolster body pillow: Sleep Yoga Multi-Position Body Posture Pillow
- Best cooling body pillow: Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow
- Best down alternative body pillow: The Company Store Down-Free Body Pillow
- Best memory foam body pillow: Queen Rose Pregnancy Body Pillow
- Best full support body pillow: Sharper Image Full Support Body Pillow
- Best for ergonomic design: Casper Hug Body Pillow
Body pillows can provide great comfort and even lead to a better night’s sleep for some people. They’ve been reported to reduce body aches and pains, especially for pregnant people or side sleepers who are seeking extra support. Plus, some people like the coziness factor of hugging a full body pillow throughout the night.
We’re here to help you find the right pillow for your needs, so we’ve broken down the best options by price, comfort, and popularity. Read on for our top picks.
Body pillows are typically long pillows that extend the full length of your body, but they also come in a range of shapes and sizes that offer different types of support.
Some people find that body pillows reduce pressure on their joints, leading to fewer body aches and pains. Body pillows can also improve spinal alignment and help those recovering from surgery or with back pain rest more comfortably.
Side sleepers and pregnant people often find comfort in placing a body pillow between their legs while sleeping. Finding a pillow that provides proper support and promotes healthy posture can help people to rest better and wake up with less pain.
To choose the pillows on this list, we read scores of customer reviews on multiple shopping sites.
We chose only pillows that come from well-known manufacturers and are made from safe, nontoxic materials. We took customer service history, ease of returns, and product guarantees into account.
We also selected pillows with removable covers. This makes them easier to clean than others on the market.
Body pillows range in price and often go on sale throughout the year. Some are considerably more expensive than others, but certain budget pillows provide comparable comfort to more expensive models.
The cost of a body pillow is often determined by the type of fill used and the cover material. For this list, we indicated price with the following guide:
- $ = under $65
- $$ = $65–$150
- $$$ = $151–$300
- $$$$ = over $300
Best adjustable-height body pillow
- Price: $$
- Height: adjustable
- Size: 20 inches x 54 inches
- Considerations: Some users have difficulty adjusting the amount of fill in the pillow to accommodate their comfort level. Others report feeling hot while sleeping with this pillow.
Key details: This pillow was designed specifically to be hugged by side sleepers to keep the hips, legs, and spine aligned. The fill is gel-infused, CertiPUR-US certified foam, with a shredded memory foam inner core. You can adjust the amount of fill, which gives you control over firmness and height. The case is polyester and bamboo-derived viscose rayon.
- keeps spine aligned
- adjustable fill and firmness
- too warm for some users
- tricky to fill to ideal firmness
Best C-shaped body pillow
- Price: $
- Height: 7 inches
- Size: 30 inches x 57 inches
- Considerations: Some users complain that the pillow is hard to get back into the case after washing. Due to the density of its fill, this pillow weighs around 7 pounds and is heavier than some other body pillows.
Key details: This ergonomically designed, C-shaped pillow provides a cocoon-like environment for sleeping, with maximum back and stomach support. The fill is made from 100 percent polyester and is a good choice for people who have allergies to other types of fill, such as down or latex. The removable pillow cover is cotton and can be machine washed and dried. Users rave about the softness and cushion of this pillow.
- ultimate back and stomach support
- suitable for people with allergies
- comes with a removable cover
- heavier pillow
- difficult to find cases to fit
Best U-shaped body pillow
- Price: $$
- Height: 8.5 inches
- Size: 33 inches x 55 inches
- Considerations: This pillow, at 7 pounds, is heavier than other options heavy. It’s also fairly wide and takes up a significant amount of space. Some tall users who are over 5 feet, 8 inches find this pillow too short in length.
Key details: The Leachco Back ‘n Belly pillow has an hourglass-shaped inner curve, which many users find snuggly and super comfortable. It has more height than many other body pillows, and some people have said this helped reduce their acid reflux and heartburn.
It provides firm back support yet still has a softness to it. Some back sleepers find this pillow comfortable and supportive, too. It comes with either a zipper or sham cover. Both can be machine washed and dried.
- firm but soft support
- higher than other pillows
- machine washable
- large and bulky
- may be too short for taller people
Best wool-blend body pillow
- Price: $$$
- Height: adjustable
- Sizes: 24 inches x 52 inches, 28 inches x 52 inches, or 34 inches x 52 inches
- Considerations: This pillow is by far the most expensive one on our list, so it’s a bit of a gamble since the manufacturer doesn’t accept returns. The removable pillowcase must be hand-washed to avoid shrinkage.
Key details: This body pillow is made from certified organic wool and shredded latex. The combination provides pliability, combined with firm support. You can control the pillow’s firmness by removing the amount of fill it contains.
The removable cover is made from unbleached organic cotton flannel. It’s soft to the touch and comfortable to sleep on. Since this pillow is around the same width as a standard pillow, it doesn’t take up much room and can be used comfortably when sleeping with a partner on a full- or queen-size bed.
- made with organic materials
- soft and comfortable
- isn’t too large
- pricier than most options
- no returns
- case must be hand washed
Best multi-position bolster body pillow
- Price: $$
- Height: adjustable
- Size: 8 inches
- Considerations: Each section of this body pillow requires its own cover, which makes the cost add up. Pillow covers are sold separately. The pillow fill is a patented blend, and the manufacturer isn’t transparent about the materials used.
Key details: This bolster or cylinder-shaped pillow is separated into three sections. This design, thought up by a chiropractor, lets you adjust the pillow to accommodate injuries and painful areas of your body. Users say this is an excellent pillow to use while recuperating from the back, hip, or knee surgery. Some users with fibromyalgia also find it beneficial.
It has a machine-washable cotton cover. The pillow is made from a cotton-polyester blend. In addition to the cover, the pillow can be machine washed and dried, without getting lumpy.
- separate sections for easy adjustment
- machine washable
- requires three cases
- information on materials unavailable
Best cooling body pillow
- Price: $$
- Height: approximately 8 inches; variable
- Size: 20 inches x 54 inches
- Considerations: The pillow takes several hours to puff up to full size after opening the box. You must buy a pillowcase separately and some users find that this pillow doesn’t provide enough head height.
Key details: This pillow is ideal for hot sleepers. It has a patented, micro-vented cover made from a blend of bamboo memory foam, polyester, and Lycra. It’s hypoallergenic, eco-friendly, and dust mite resistant. The fill is CertiPUR-US certified foam. This means it’s been tested for formaldehyde, phthalates, and other harmful toxins. The pillow can be machine washed.
- dust mite resistant
- free of toxins
- good for hot sleepers
- must buy pillowcase separately
- may not be high enough for some
Best down alternative body pillow
- Price: $$
- Size: 20 inches x 72 inches
- Considerations: A 200–thread count protective cover for this pillow is sold separately. Some users dislike that white cotton is the only color and fabric available. The pillow itself is not machine washable; spot cleaning only is recommended.
Key details: This rectangular body pillow is filled with polyester as a down alternative, with a cotton shell. Users like the softness or squishiness, and people who wanted a long body pillow enjoy the length of this one. Its softness and lack of bulk make it easy to mold or fold into shape.
- easy to form into shape
- extra long
- not machine washable
- cover sold separately
Best memory foam body pillow
- Price: $
- Sizes: 31 inches x 55 inches, 31 inches x 60 inches, or 31 inches x 65 inches
- Height: 7.8 inches
- Considerations: Polyethylene is a chemical compound that’s considered safe, but some users prefer organic or all-natural fills. If you’re one of them, this pillow might not be the best choice for you. Some users report sleeping hot with this pillow. Other users mention that the stitching around the sides of the pillow is hard and can dig into the shoulder area.
Key details: This highly versatile pillow can be used as a body pillow for sleeping and to prop you up into a seated position in bed. Some users flip it upside down and elevate their feet (where their head is supposed to go), so they can sleep with their own pillow while getting the full benefit of a body pillow.
This pillow is filled with polyethylene memory foam for firm support and a shape that molds to your body. Users find that it provides comfortable support with lots of give. The zip-off cover means easy washing and drying.
- can use in multiple positions
- comfortable and supportive
- accessible price point
- made with polyethylene
- may be too hot for some
- stitching may be uncomfortable
Best full support body pillow
- Price: $$
- Height: 15.5 Inches
- Size: 130 inches x 15.5 inches
- Considerations: At 10 pounds, this is a heavy pillow that’s also large and wide. It may be a bit bothersome to use in smaller beds or with a sleeping partner.
Key details: This one-piece, horseshoe-shaped pillow provides full body support, specifically for side-sleepers. It’s also a great option for anyone living with conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, or neck and shoulder pain as it’s described to relieve pressure. It’s also made with hypoallergenic polyester fiberfill that resists clumping and maintains its shape.
- full-body support
- maintains shape
- ideal for side-sleepers
- may be too large and heavy for some
- not the best option for smaller beds
Best for ergonomic design
- Price: $$
- Height: varies depending on size
- Size: 18 inches x 38 inches
- Considerations: Some users do not find the twisted design of this pillow comfortable, or the fact that it’s well-stuffed and firm.
Key details: This pillow has a unique ergonomic twist design that contours your body. It promotes proper alignment for side sleepers while also relieving pressure. It’s also designed to be hugged and fits between your arms and legs for all-night comfort but has sleep-cool technology so you won’t get too hot.
The pillow gets mixed reviews with some finding it too bulky and firm, while others enjoyed these factors and commented on how it’s the ultimate body pillow.
- unique twist design
- great for hot sleepers
- good quality
- may be too bulky
- twist design may feel uncomfortable
|Customer rating||Price||Sizes available||Shape|
|Coop Home Goods Body Pillow||4.5 stars||$$||20 in. x 54 in.||rectangle|
|PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow||4.5 stars||$||30 in. x 57 in.||C-shaped|
|Leachco Back ‘n Belly Chic Pillow||4.5 stars||$$||33 in. x 55 in.||U-shaped|
|Savvy Rest Wool-Latex Body Pillow||4.5 stars||$$$||24/28/34 in. x 52 in.||rectangle|
|TCS Multi-Position Body Posture Pillow||4 stars||$$||8 in.||cylinder-shaped|
|Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow||4.5 stars||$$||20 in. x 54 in.||rectangle|
|The Company Store Down-Free Body Pillow||4 stars||$$||20 in. x 72 in.||rectangle|
|Queen Rose Pregnancy Body Pillow||4.5 stars||$$||31 in. x 55 in., 31 in. x 60 in., 31 in. x 65 in.||U-shaped|
|Sharper Image Full Support Body Pillow||3.5 stars||$$||130 in. x 15.5 in.||C-shaped|
|Casper Hug Body Pillow||3.4 stars||$$||18 in. x 38 in.||twisted rectangle|
If you’re pregnant, then a body pillow is a great addition to your nighttime routine. There are many specialty body pillows designed just for pregnancy, offering support as your belly grows.
Getting a good night’s sleep can be difficult for pregnant people, so finding a supportive pillow can be the key to getting adequate rest. Body pillows are designed to help reduce hip and back pain. They provide support for side sleeping and can improve circulation.
However, even if you’re not expecting, you can still benefit from a body pillow. Side sleepers and people dealing with back pain may like the extra support a body pillow offers. It can also be a good choice for those dealing with other types of chronic pain.
You can use a body pillow to prop you up, or it can simply provide a comfortable surface to cuddle up to.
There are tons of different body pillows out there. Here’s what to consider to narrow things down.
Body pillows encourage side sleeping. If you’re a combination, back, or stomach sleeper, look for a body pillow with removable fill so you can adjust its height.
Choose a body pillow that works well with your height. If you aren’t very tall, you may find a shorter pillow works best. However, if you’re tall, you’ll want to look for a long pillow to provide full-body support.
You’ll also want to pay attention to the pillow’s height and width. While larger pillows will prop you up more, they might not be as comfortable if you want to be able to wrap your arms and legs around them.
The filling plays a big role in how durable the pillow will be over time. It may also determine how breathable the pillow will be.
You can find pillows filled with air, memory foam, polyester, and more. Remember that some materials, like foam, can contain chemicals and may have an odor at first.
Just like any pillow, body pillows vary in density. Choose a softer, more pliable option if huggability is your priority when sleeping or relaxing. If you want more support, choose a firmer option.
Ease of cleaning
Some body pillows come with washable, removable covers, which makes them easier to clean.
Compatibility with bed space
Body pillows take up space. Check the pillow’s measurements against your bed size, especially if you sleep with a partner.
Since body pillows are bigger than standard pillows, they can be a little unwieldy. Consider the total weight in conjunction with the size to get a feel for how easy the pillow will be to move around.
What shapes do body pillows come in?
Body pillows are available in four main shapes:
- rectangular (most traditional)
How long should a body pillow be?
A body pillow should be long enough to provide good support for your body size. While rectangular body pillows usually come in around the 48-inch mark, you may select shorter or longer lengths depending on your height.
How should you sleep with a body pillow?
It’s easiest to sleep with a rectangular body pillow if you lie on your side. You can wrap your legs or arms around it, or simply prop yourself up against it.
You can also put the pillow behind you for additional back support.
C-shaped, U-shaped, and J-shaped body pillows can be used in several ways. Typically, you’ll wrap the pillow around yourself to support your back, side, or stomach.
What does a body pillow help with?
Body pillows may help provide:
- pressure point relief
- spinal support
- belly support during pregnancy
Body pillows are specially designed to elevate your comfort level during sleep. While there isn’t a lot of data about body pillows, users often report reduced back, hip, and knee pain while using them. Pregnant people often use body pillows because they help to cradle the stomach and hips.
Body pillows come in a range of sizes, shapes, and price ranges.