Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
“Man Food” Makeover
Father’s Day is right around the corner. Why not make some healthy “man foods” for your man, or yourself! Typical man foods (wings, pizza, burgers, Sloppy Joes, onion rings, French fries) are normally full of saturated fat, sodium, empty calories, and are of little health benefit. These recipes are easy to lighten up through minor “tweaks” while salvaging their flavors. The addition of herbs and spices to any recipe can have many health benefits. Adding fruits and vegetables to a recipe or as a side dish will vamp up those vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, helping reduce your risk for cancer and heart disease. Make sure to try the Sloppy Joe recipe listed below for a new spin on a recipe you would never have thought could be jam-packed full of vegetables!
Follow some of these tweaks to makeover your “man foods”:
- Coat your wings in an herb and spice blend rather than bread and throw them in the oven instead of frying them.
- Instead of a “meat lovers” pizza, opt for one meat and load it with veggies (bell peppers, banana peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach, artichoke hearts, dried tomatoes, olives).
- Add lettuce, tomato, onion, pepper, mushroom, salsa, fruit relish, or avocado to your burger. Try a healthier, yet tasty version by using lean ground turkey, veggie burger, or marinated Portobello.
- Pack veggies into your Sloppy Joe and use leaner cuts of meat or ground turkey.
- Bake onion rings instead of fry them.
- Slice a potato into wedges, dip in beaten egg whites, season with a blend of herbs and spices, and bake for a tasty French fry makeover.
Happy Father’s Day for all of the men out there! Hope you get some “man food” to enjoy the day we celebrate amazing dads!