Highlights for calcium-vitamin-d
calcium-vitamin-d Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- dry mouth
- high blood pressure
- increased hunger or thirst
- increased urination
- irregular heartbeat
- metallic taste
- muscle or bone pain
- pain when urinating
- unusually weak or tired
- weight loss
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach upset
calcium-vitamin-d May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ammonium chloride
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, tetracycline
- iron supplements
- medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
- medicines for seizures like ethotoin and phenytoin
- mineral oil
- other vitamins with calcium, vitamin D, or minerals
- thyroid medicine
How to Use calcium-vitamin-d
Take this medicine by mouth. Chew it completely before swallowing. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take with food or within 1 hour after a meal. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be used in children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- high level of calcium or vitamin D in the blood
- high level of phosphate in the blood
- kidney disease
- kidney stones
- liver disease
- parathyroid disease
- stomach ulcer or obstruction
- an unusual or allergic reaction to calcium, vitamin D, tartrazine dye, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Taking this medicine is not a substitute for a well-balanced diet and exercise. Talk with your doctor or health care provider and follow a healthy lifestyle.
Do not take this medicine with high-fiber foods, large amounts of alcohol, or drinks containing caffeine. Do not take this medicine within 2 hours of any other medicines.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
calcium-vitamin-d, Rugby Laboratories a Division of The Harvard Drug Group, LLC, 500mg
calcium-vitamin-d, Rugby Laboratories a Division of The Harvard Drug Group, LLC, 500mg, 600IU
Last Updated: April 1, 2009