Our team is at Stanford School of Medicine today hosting the Fall 2017 DiabetesMine D-Data ExChange forum of tech innovators.
In case you're not familiar, we're proud to say this now-biannual gathering was the birthplace of the #WeAreNotWaiting movement when it kicked off back in November 2013. Today marks the 10th edition!
We're pretty stoked about this, because Stanford's new Center was established specifically to address the hot-button mHealth questions: How useful are digital tools in today’s medical arena? How can they be incorporated into clinical practice? How can patients figure out if products designed for them work or are worth the price?
The Center is already working with a number of interesting mHealth ventures to create research that legitimizes their work, and provides important evidence needed in the healthcare reimbursement battle. We're thrilled to hear from Dr. Turakhia today!
Other program highlights include:
- Aaron Kowalski of JDRF talking about the org’s exciting new initiative pushing for open protocols in diabetes product development, and also how innovators should be thinking about embracing new ‘Beyond A1C’ measures as they create new D-tools
- Diabetes Innovation Headway Outside the U.S.: two featured speakers will cover the #WeAreNotWaiting landscape in Europe, including Android APS, which is making waves in the German-speaking world
- FDA on the new mHealth software pre-certification program, future AI-driven medical solutions and more
- Patient-Academia Collaborative Research: A Hands-On Workshop led by OpenAPS Innovator Dana Lewis & Stanford Experts
- New Frontiers: Blockchain Technology in Healthcare & Diabetes
- A featured forum on Emerging Smart Insulin Pen Technology: How will it integrate with closed-loop systems?
- DEMOS: Five exciting new #DData players get feedback from a ‘Judges Panel’ of experts
Watch #DData17 Livestream!
Although our live event is intimate and invitation-only, we invite anyone interested to watch the action via Livestream, courtesy of the Nightscout Foundation. Just click on their Facebook page to tune in:
Huge thanks to Wes Nordgren for making this happen at all of our #DData events!
DiabetesMine #DData Kudos
We’re so proud and happy to see that what began as a half-day breakout from annual DiabetesMine Innovation Summit in a Stanford classroom back in 2013 gave birth to an amazing now-international movement: #WeAreNotWaiting.
And it’s grown up to be, in the words of our co-organizer Howard Look, CEO of Tidepool, “a wonderful place for folks on the cutting-edge of diabetes technology to connect, learn and get inspired,”
Coming Soon to the UK
At last June’s #Data17 event in San Diego, we were thrilled to include Partha Kar, a UK endocrinologist and Associate National Clinical Director of Diabetes for NHS England. He’s also an active advocate for patients on social media.
“As someone from the UK, the DiabetesMine D-Data ExChange was a fascinating program to attend – to absorb the dynamics of patient-led innovation. In my national policy role, this event helped me see that there indeed can be a way of finding a happy medium between ‘authorities’ and patient needs. Most importantly, I realized that we clinicians and policy makers should be facilitators, rather than self-appointed overseers of what people living with diabetes should or should not do.”
In fact, he was so inspired he is now plans to start up a similar patient innovation showcase in the UK. Keep your eyes peeled for that #GBDoc !
We’d like to thank everyone involved in supporting the DiabetesMine D-Data ExChange series!
Especially (but not limited to)…
The OpenAPS community
Our 2017 sponsors: