- can view streaming CGM data right on your wrist
- can see and share your data on up to 5 iPhones or iPads
- shows your latest reading (it takes 2-3 seconds to display) with a 3-hour graph and arrow indicating whether your BG is rising, falling or steady
- it is water-resistant
- iPhone screen is full-color and easy to read in sunlight
- has a “coolness” factor, if you love Apple products
- can use the Apple Watch for BG viewing alongside other functions like email, text, weather, fitness, camera, etc.
- if willing to spend more money, there’s a big choice of watchband design options, including growing market of 3rd party models that are easily interchangeable
- no extra costs for hosting and data plans, as you might find when using Nightscout
- still need to carry the Dexcom G4 Share receiver
- no alarms on iPhone app; you still have to rely on the Dexcom G4 receiver for alerts
- you have to “wake” it by either tapping the scroll button or turning your wrist a quarter-turn; otherwise watch face is black, not even displaying the time
- when woken, the display only stays on for about 10-15 seconds before going to "sleep"
- shows only 3 hours of data, as opposed to 3, 6, 12 and 24 hour options on the G4 receiver
- limited to only 5 followers, who, using the Dexcom Share Follow app, can only see your data on their Apple iPhone (not yet available on a follower’s Apple Watch or on Android)
- if you are still using the original G4 receiver (without Share), need to upgrade for $199 (if out of warranty, a new G4 with Share is $599 out-of-pocket, without insurance)
- lots of charging required! Apple Watch has a very limited battery life, plus you will need to charge your iPhone more frequently
- display shows lots of preloaded Apple apps that you cannot delete or hide, making the screen very cluttered
- Apple Watch is pricey, depending on size (38mm or 42mm) and design; the most basic model runs starts at $349
- either size Apple Watch is large and probably will not fit on a child
Let us know what you think!
RELATED COMMUNITY LINKS: