Dr. Brenda B. Spriggs, Clinical Professor Emerita at the University of California, San Francisco, is ABMS board certified in internal medicine and rheumatology. She is a recognized authority in her specialty, subject matter expert, media spokesperson, thought leader, and author. Dr. Spriggs is co-author of “Focus on Your Best Health: Smart Guide to The Health Care You Deserve,” a book that offers practical solutions to the most common barriers faced by health care consumers: communication, navigation, and advocacy.
- Fisk University, BA
- Meharry Medical College, MD
- University of California, Los Angeles, MPH
- Peter F. Drucker Graduate School of Management, MBA
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Rheumatology
- Fellow American College of Physicians
- Founding Fellow American College of Rheumatology
- Co-founder of Newell & Spriggs Consulting, LLC, a healthcare company dedicated to meeting the evolving needs of consumers in the healthcare marketplace; services include health care coaching and advocacy.
- Health Care Administration: Provided organizational structure and led 800-member physician group through transition following merger of Children’s Physician Associates, Inc. (Children’s Hospital, San Francisco) and Pacific Physician Associates (Presbyterian Hospital, San Francisco) into a new entity, California Pacific Medical Associates, Inc.
- Regional Rheumatology Medical Coordinator of the National Arthritis Act, charged with implementing the clinical/teaching component in Northern California and the Central Valley. Pilot project served as a national model for delivery of effective, coordinated rheumatologic care and education of residents and health professionals.