What causes fidgeting? 34 possible conditions
Fidgeting is moving about restlessly or the behavior of being continually in motion. Alternative Names Fidgets, fidgety Overview Fidgeting is usually used to describe someone who can’t sit still. Fidgety people move in their seats constantly, move their... Read more
Fidgeting is moving about restlessly or the behavior of being continually in motion.
Fidgeting is usually used to describe someone who can’t sit still. Fidgety people move in their seats constantly, move their hands and feet, and appear to be in constant motion. Fidgeting in children is sometimes a sign of hyperactivity or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), but it’s not always a bad thing.
Some people have a genetic predisposition to fidget. They are restless and move around constantly. Some obese people have a genetic predisposition to be energy efficient and are naturally inclined to conserve energy.
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- obsessive compulsive disorder
- panic attack
- post-partum depression
- adjustment disorder
- alcohol withdrawal
- caffeine overdose
- general anxiety disorder
- post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Treatment includes assessing and treating the underlying condition. This sometimes includes providing:
- a stimulating environment
- plenty of exercise
- good nutrition
- adequate sleep
Call a doctor if fidgeting becomes agitation and is accompanied by emotional distress.
- Adult behavioral health problems. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/services/behhealth/adultservices/adultbehhealthproblems.asp
- Sleep and mental health. (2009, July). Retrieved from http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mental_Health_Letter/2009/July/Sleep-and-mental-health
- What is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder? (2012). Retrieved from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/index.shtml
See a list of possible causes in order from the most common to the least.
Click to add a symptom to your list
- Top Symptoms