Did you know that most poisonings happen at home? Learn a few simple ways to poison-proof your house.
Read the full transcript »
Poisonous substances are part of our everyday life and you may believe you taken proper care to keep them out of reach, but it's worth double checking. The kitchen is probably the most likely place for an accidental poisoning. That's why a trash can like this one with a lead is a good idea. It keeps your poison items away from small hands. And also think in terms of placement, putting your chemicals up high is a great idea, simply because they are just harder to get to. That's your first line of defense. The kids are not the only one at risk. Be careful when you are cleaning up around your food. I mean always cleaning up, but I guarantee you, ingesting this chemical instead of ingesting this chicken is a bad idea, and always remember, wash your hand thoroughly. Many of us store fertilizers, paints and another high powered chemicals in the garage. High shelves and tightly sealed containers will help keep harmful poison secure. In addition to preventing accidents with the obvious chemical, don't forget to scour your home with the not-so-obvious poison too. Many of those live in the bathroom. Many of us screw up under the threat of having our mouth washed out with soap, if we talk back to our parents. Well, these days that would be a make mistake. Soaps like this as well as shampoos and conditioners are colored and scented to attract kids, and many times those colors and scents come from chemicals. So, put these soaps away so the kids don't try to eat the Strawberry rather than bathe with them. Speaking of tasting, mouthwash sends a really tough message to kids. They see mom and dad rinsing with it and they might want to take a big swig. Bad idea. Keep mouthwash and toothpaste out of reach and teach kids their proper uses. It may seem obvious that accidental medication overdoses are a huge cause of poisoning. Child-safe cabs for homes with kids are a must, but even if you don't have kids, make sure the labels are easy to read and you understand the doses. And remember, the best defense is a good offense. Take a look at the products in your house and find out what the potential risks might be. Keep the poison control number in large letters, where it can easily found and if you ever have to call that number, have the product in your hand so you can tell the operator exactly what was ingested. With tips for a healthy home, I am Jay Baker.
Copyright © 2005 - 2015 Healthline Networks, Inc. All rights reserved for Healthline.