Learn about Natural Medicine for Sciatica Video

Naturopathic Doctor Andrea Purcell explains how she uses Naturopathic Medicine to reverse Sciatica. Produced by Larry Cook. Distributed by Tubemogul.
Read the full transcript »

Sciatica is an inflammation of the sciatic nerve. Symptoms of sciatica include lower back pain, pain in the buttocks, and pain radiating down one leg. Common causes of sciatica include lumbar herniated disc, also known as a slip disc or a bulging disc, or a pinched nerve. Degenerative disc disease, where the discs are breaking down and putting pressure on the nerve root. Vertebral body fracture, where the vertebra are collapsing and breaking on top of each other, putting pressure on the nerve root. Spinal stenosis, which is a narrowing of the spinal canal, also putting pressure on the nerve root. Or Piriformis Syndrome, which is a spasm of the piriformis muscle, which is located in the buttock, which squeezes on the nerve and causes pain. Conventional treatments for sciatica include exercise and stretching, which is a good recommendation. Muscle relaxers and painkillers, which can leave a person unable to operate heavy machinery or drive a car. And anti-inflammatory injections called cortisone. Cortisone is a very common anti-inflammatory that is injected into joints where there is pain and inflammation. However, it does not treat the underlying cause of sciatica, which is a bulging disc on the nerve root. It is solely anti-inflammatory. Surgical treatments for sciatica involve a microdiscectomy. What that means is that a surgeon will go in and remove a piece of the disc that is pressing on the nerve root. There are no guarantees with back surgery that a patient will experience resolution of their back pain, and the recovery time is two to six months. When a patient comes into my office with pain radiating down one leg, they know and I know that they have sciatica. To confirm this diagnosis, I order a Lumbar MRI to determine exactly where the pressure on the nerve is. My treatment for sciatica is a comprehensive approach. It starts with exercise and stretching, an anti-inflammatory diet, along with other anti-inflammatory supplements, such as proteolytic enzymes and herbs that are anti-inflammatory. Trigger point injections, which is a combination of vitamins and procaine, which is an anesthetic, to help reduce the muscle spasm that happens as a result of the nerve being inflamed. And Prolozone. Prolozone injections are injections that are done into the ligaments of the lower back to help strengthen them, so that the disc is able to go back into place and prevent itself from slipping back out and putting pressure on the nerve root. The purpose of my treatment is to strengthen the ligaments on either side of the vertebrae, to pull the disc back into place and take pressure off the sciatic nerve. When this happens, inflammation decreases, the pressure is off the nerve, and the mechanics of the spine are corrected and the pain is gone. 10% of all sciatica cases are untreatable just due to degenerative disease processes. For the other 90%, I have a 90% success rate when patients follow my protocols. For someone struggling with sciatica, I recommend that they adopt a natural living lifestyle. That includes avoidance of foods that are inflammatory. Processed foods which come in a bag, a box, or a can, are inflammatory. Anti-inflammatory foods include darkly pigmented fruits, green leafy vegetables, clean sources of protein, and nutritious grains. Additionally, I recommend that he or she locate a naturopathic doctor trained in Prolozone to help treat the underlying cause of the sciatica.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement