It creeps across damp ceilings and shower curtains, leaving a musty smell behind. Handyman Jay Baker shows you how to rid your home of mold before it can make you sick.
Read the full transcript »
You probably heard a lot about mold; how it can grow in your basement and how some types of mold make cause health issues. But a lot of people think that just because they don't have a basement, they don't have a mold problem. Well, think again. Ever walk into the bathroom and immediately notice that your clean towels smells spoiled or musty after only one use or maybe clothing you are hanging up to drip dry doesn't smell clean. That could mean mold. Mold is often green, but not always; it can also be white like down here on the floor or brown speckles like you see in these grout lines. I have also seen it in orange and look over here at the shower, pink, right here on the shower curtain. If you find mold in your house, you should clean it up immediately but be smart about it. Remember, when you start to acetate those mold spores, they are going to go into the air and you can breathe them into your lung. Now, not everyone is affected by mold but it's always a good idea to wear protection when you are going to be handling it. So there are several products you should use. Wear safety glasses or goggles, you don't want to get anything in your eyes. Also an N95 respirator catches those little guys before they get to your mouth so you don't breathe them in. Latex gloves are great to have and then a non-ammonia cleaner or a commercial product that's intended for destroying mold. Now that the mold is gone, you want to keep it away by monitoring your humidity. Now this particular thermostat has a humidity monitor built right into it. But if you are not that lucky, you can bind the stand to low and pretty inexpensively, I think this one was 30 bucks at a hardware store. If you find the humidity levels in your house are consistently high, try a dehumidifier. They work great for pulling the humidity out of the air and depositing it in a chamber at the bottom, you simply dump it out, put it back in. Everyone now and then just check it to make sure that it's not getting too full, and it really does a good job of removing humidity. You will breathe easier, knowing you have taken care of the mold in your home. With tips for a healthy home, I am Jay Baker.
Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Healthline Networks, Inc. All rights reserved for Healthline.