Dr. Matthew Nutaitis of MUSC's Storm Eye Institute discusses the prevalence of glaucoma in the U.S. population.
Read the full transcript »
Host: How prevalent is Glaucoma? Dr. Matthew J. Nutaitis: The open-angle version in the US is about 2% to 3%. So and if we have about three-hundred million people in the US we're talking about six million people or so. So which means to me that's pretty common, six million people in the US, but most people don't get it. So the other 97%, they don't get it. But in anytime in medicine that you get into the 1% to 3%, so that's pretty common. You would like to be like one in ten million type of deal.
Copyright © 2005 - 2015 Healthline Networks, Inc. All rights reserved for Healthline.