In this health video learn about the advances in assisted reproductive technology, that allow many couples to overcome infertility and start a family.
Read the full transcript »
Female Speaker: Ellen and Steve Kester have been married for more than four years. They met 14 years ago while studying Spanish in Mexico. Early in there relationships, they talked about having a family, but decided they would wait until the time seemed right. Ellen Kester: When we got married, we knew we were not ready to have children then we were both perusing our educations and careers and so and we could keep a very busy pace. Steve Kester: We had make a consensus decision to have children later in life we just made a consensus decision to live our lives to do things we want it to do success our education we travel together, before we really had serious about thing about a family. Female Speaker: Ellen and Steve thought that starting family while in there 30's would be okay. Dr. Kaylen Silverberg: Pregnancy is something it has to happen when a couple is ready for it. So, they are now blink in recommendations, we can't say you should get pregnant before you are 35 or before you are 38, but what couples really do need to understand is they need to understand the information. Infertility is inability to conceive or carry a pregnancy despite 12 months of unprotected intercourse. So, we know that 88% of couples in the United States who attempt pregnancy for 12 months will conceive and will be able to deliver. The remaining 12% were about 6 to 6.2 may be million couples in the United States have problems in conceiving. And they are defined as sub fertile or infertile. Female Speaker: Approximately 40% of infertility problems are due to the female and 40% to the male. The remaining 20% is the combination of problems in both sex and the causes unknown all together. Dr. Zev Rosenwaks: So, it's a 50-50 proposition. One needs to have normal sperm, one need to have normal eggs, and one need to have normal fertilization. Female Speaker: After a year of trying on their own, Ellen and Steve received diagnoses of unexplained infertility. They tried several treatments with no success, after a lengthy and emotional rollercoaster ride, the saw a fertility specialist and opted for In Vitro Fertilization, IVF. It was a decision that would change there lives forever. Ellen Kester: Hello Katherine. Katherine arrived two weeks early, rushed off to the hospital and two hours later we had a little girl in our hands. Steve Kester: It's great. Being a dad is the most wonderful thing in the world. Female Speaker: A few years later, Ellen and Steve decided to try another IVF cycle at the age of 36. They are preparing for yet another surprise. Ellen Kester: We went in last week for a sonogram and we learned that we having boy and girl. Steve Kester: I don't think Katherine really knows what's coming in, as she is the center of our universe and she is the custom to be the queen of the household, so it'll be a little bit of adjustment no doubt when the twins come. Female Speaker: How fertile anyone couple may be is a complicated equitation with genetics, physiology, lifestyle, environment, and age all playing a role. And though doctors examine all male and female fertility issues, unfortunately not all couples will be able to conceive. Despite the best medical science has to offer. Still experienced fertility counseling may be a couple's best chance for success.