Dr. Grayson explains what women should expect from Banner Desert medical center.
Read the full transcript »
What Should Women Know About Maternity Services At Banner Desert Medical Center? Dr. Robert Grayson: When you are dealing with obstetrics, you are dealing with 90 plus percent of people doing very well without much help, and you are looking at a small segment of that obstetrical population that needs emergent help when it’s unexpected or have co-existing medical problems that really make it dangerous to be pregnant, and the more you see of those things the better you are taking care of them. So, by having a regional center that deals with high-risk complications, that has perinatologist, so high-risk doctors for the pregnant mother, neonatologist, high-risk doctors for the newly born baby, and skilled people as far as the labor process and the delivery process, all in one place, it offers the best chance of seeing enough of problems to be able to take care of them well, and you always want to be over-prepared. Every parent knows that you want to be over-prepared, even if that means two diapers when you only think you’ll need one. The same thing goes in medical care. You want to have, even if you think everything is going well, you want the largest safety net under you, you can possibly have for when things don’t go well because that’s your chance to make a difference. You don’t really have a chance to make a difference in the 90% of people that could do everything without you. You have a tremendous chance to make a difference in the 10% of people who don’t expect to have a problem and things kind of fall apart. That’s what a tertiary facility is good at. They have in-house neonatologist, in-house perinatologist, in-house obstetricians, in-house anesthesiologist, you have your team mobilized in a matter of minutes rather than calling people in from home. And their exposure to problems are much more frequent, so they are not dealing with the thing that they haven’t seen in six years; they are dealing with something that they dealt with last Tuesday.
Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Healthline Networks, Inc. All rights reserved for Healthline.