Use of Contact Lenses
HealthTip: Safe Use of Contact Lenses
Apply cosmetics properly to avoid problems
(HealthDay News) -- It can be difficult to see that cosmetics and contact lenses may not mix, especially if the cosmetics are misapplied.
The University of Virginia Health System offers these suggestions for contact lens wearers who use makeup:
- Always wash your hands before putting contact lenses in or taking them out.
- Keep cosmetic brushes and other tools clean.
- Invest in hypoallergenic cosmetics without fragrance, sparkle, glitter or anything else that may contain irritants such as crushed oyster shell or tinsel.
- Put lenses in first, then put on your cosmetics.
- Never wear someone else's makeup, or let anyone else borrow yours.
- Never re-use an old mascara applicator.
- Be careful to keep creams and powders out of your eyes.
- Skip makeup when your eyes are irritated, infected, swollen or red.