Healthy Eating Habits
Health Tip: Teach Your Child Healthy Eating Habits
And avoid issues with their weight
(HealthDay News) -- It may be difficult to keep your children at a healthy weight. Experts say the best way is to offer them healthy foods and drinks, and to set a good example yourself.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how parents should teach kids about healthy eating:
- Feed your child a healthy, nutritious and balanced diet, including lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Be sure to include an appropriate number of calories, based on the child's age.
- Limit sugary drinks to no more than one serving per day. Encourage your children to drink water.
- Make healthy eating a family habit. Eat meals together at the table, and turn off the TV at meal time.
- Don't push your children to eat when not hungry or to finish all the food on the plate; let your children eat slowly and stop eating when they start to feel full.
- Offer your children rewards other than food.
- Limit fast-food meals.