Health Tip: Help Prevent Medical Errors
How to do your part
(HealthDay News) -- As many as 98,000 people die every year because of medical errors, an Institute of Medicine report estimates, but there are steps you can take to protect your health.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions:
- Give your doctors as much information as you can about the medications, supplements and herbs you are taking.
- Tell your doctors about any known allergies or reactions you have to medications.
- Keep your doctors informed about your health. Don't assume they already know this.
- Make sure you are fully informed about any medicine your doctor prescribes, including what it's for, instructions for taking it, safety and side effects.
- If your doctor writes a prescription, make sure you can read what's written. Illegible prescriptions may cause problems at the pharmacy.