Health Tip: Help Prevent Bunions
Here's what you can do
(HealthDay News) -- A bunion is a painful protrusion at the base of the big toe that can make even walking a chore. A severe bunion can affect the alignment of several toes, causing some to overlap.
You can't always prevent bunions, but you can take steps to reduce your risk. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Make sure shoes fit properly.
- Choose shoes that are soft and comfortable, and form around the shape of your toes and feet.
- Look for soft-soled shoes with plenty of room in the toes and instep.
- If shoes are too tight, have them professionally stretched.
- Don't wear shoes with pointy toes or with a heel that's more than 2 1/4 inches high.