Health Tip: Ease Swelling Beneath a Cast
Steps to help you heal
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing a cast or splint requires special care to help a broken bone heal.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Make sure the cast or splint stays dry.
- Don't put weight on a walking cast until the cast has completely hardened and dried.
- Take care to prevent sand, powder and dirt from getting between the cast and skin.
- Don't remove padding from the cast or splint.
- Never use an object to reach beneath the cast to scratch. Don't apply powder or deodorant on itchy skin beneath a cast.
- Never break off pieces of the cast.
- Regularly inspect the cast for soft spots. Check surrounding skin for signs of irritation. If you find either of these problems, contact your doctor.
Check Your Symptoms
Search for Treatments
Find a Doctor
Search for Drugs